“Consistently Excellent!”

El Charro Cafe - The Original
Ranked #11 of 2,048 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: Established in 1922, El Charro Cafe of Tucson, Arizona is The Nation's Oldest Mexican Restaurant in continuous operation by the same family. Featuring traditional Northern Mexico-Sonoran style and innovative Tucson-style Mexican Food, El Charro Cafe is truly as Gourmet Magazine wrote: "A Taste Explosion". We are innovators and originators and have proven this with our efforts in maintaining old world quality with new found concepts such as recipes lower in trans fat or designing dishes for those who need to dine gluten free! Whatever your needs, El Charro Cafe and family are prepared to show you that; "We are not the best because we are the oldest, We are the oldest because WE ARE THE BEST!"
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I am never ever disappointed when I go to El Charro. The food is delicious and the service is always friendly. When I have out of town guest who want to go out for "real" Mexican food - this is where I take them. Thank you for another great experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,076)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were planning on going to the original El Charro, but this one on Broadway was closer to our location. We had dinner on a Wednesday night. My overall impression is that we received standard Mexican food, there was nothing bad about it and nothing truly exceptional about it. There we no complaints about the food from our party of 6. I enjoyed my grilled fish tacos. We had waiter that kept rushing us - we could not understand this - since it was Wednesday and there was no line up at the door to get in. I would also suggest that if you go there, and you want a drink, order a bottled beer or a margarita - they have no clue what they are doing with the rest of the alcohol in the bar.

1  Thank DebBAuburn_WA
Reviewed February 14, 2013

local family owned business in a cute little house, great home styled Mexican food. you can pretty much get whatever you want, whatever way you want it. Always a good recomendation.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The carnitas is amazing, service is fast and friendly, and authentic mexican food that far surpasses expecations.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Love their food and the fun atmosphere! All their restaurants are great. The servers are friendly and willing to "tweak" an order if you request a change.