“Went there for an event was ok but nothing super exciting”
Review of La Cocina

La Cocina
Ranked #42 of 2,003 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Presidio
Charlotte,NC
“Went there for an event was ok but nothing super exciting”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The meal was ok nothing great sitting outside was enjoyable. they had music which we could not hear where we sitting but it sounded nice when we walked by to go to the bar. The wine was not cheap and they did not offer much variety but may be that was not the thing to drink there.

Visited September 2012

Tucson, Arizona
“An ecclectic restaurant near downtown Tucson”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

There aren't many places in Tucson where you can enjoy a gourmet cheese platter, at an affordable price, in a patio setting where large trees block the sun and create an ambiance that makes you feel relaxed, almost as if you were in a mini desert oasis. One such place is La Cocina which offers a platter that consists of four cheeses: Brie, Fontina, Manchego, Cheddar, served with garlic toasted nuts, fruit, house made orange marmalade and toasted bread. Of course, they offer other items, equally as good, from specialty salads such as Spinach & Grilled Talapia (my favorite) to hearty sandwiches and much more. The restaurant is located across the street from the historic Presidio San Agustin del Tucson--well worth a visit, as are the quaint artisan shops that surround the laid-back, one-of-a kind restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
Tucson
“Food good, location and ambiance very nice, bar cozy”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We went on music nite so was fun and an excellent value. The outside area is shaded and early evenings are just wonderful. Wish this place had more patrons because the setting is conducive for large groups, maybe they'll do more events, beer and wine tastings for the future as this place has potential for a real hang out. Lots of space to chill and meander about and draft beers at $5 is reasonable enough for the microbrew quality served: Nimbus/Dragoon/Barrio Brewing. I recommend this place for friends to meet in old town, family gatherings and celebrations , or just to pop in and have a cold one. Staff try' s hard and cares. Variety of snacks available and some food items , my sandwich was ok.

Visited July 2012
tucson
“Fresh, tasty and many GF menu items”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This courtyard restaurant is one of the most forward cooking places I have been to since I found out that I needed to eat GF earlier this year. We had dinner there on 8-4-12 and I'm anxious to go back. Many items are GF, and others, mostly sandwiches, can be served on their own GF bread. The menu states a $1 charge for GF bread on sandwiches, and 50 cent charge for GF bread in place of side bread with salads/soups. I didn't try one, since it was just too hot for a sandwich. My husband and I shared a plate of steak tacos, and left room for a hot fudge sundae later, while enjoying the live acoustic music. The tacos, beans/rice were all tasty and not the run of the mill. This is very fresh, tasty, non-greasy food. The sundae was worth the entree sharing. A big mug of vanilla ice cream, with a hot little pitcher of fudge, that is a house made...dark choc flavor with vanilla. There are many unique cocktails, including some with herb infused liquors. When the manager stopped by early in our visit, my husband mentioned that his beer wasn't very cold; she responded with a few suggestions of bottles that were more chilled, and sent over his choice on the house. I had a La Cocina Royale, with watermelon juice, lime and rum. It was plenty cold and refreshing. They have live music on weekends, and the surrounding shops of Old Town Artisans is open until 8 p.m. or so. A nice way to enjoy the summer evening. It's svery casual, many couples and groups but I didn't notice any families on a Friday night.

• Visited August 2012
Ames, Iowa
“Great outdoor atmosphere, accomodates dietary restrictions.”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I went here with an old friend who picked it because she thought it could handle our many dietary restrictions (lactose intolerant, no onions/garlic, vegan, and gluten free). They did an excellent job while giving us great entrees. We had the chocolate-tofu pie, which was wonderful and amazingly rich.

The atmosphere was lovely too, with garden-patio dining and nice music. The indoor space (not used when I went) would have been nice as well. I remarked that it seemed like a good place to host an even (party or small wedding).

• Visited May 2012

Been to La Cocina? Share your experiences!