“Tucson is Not an Indian Food Hotspot”

India Oven Cuisine of India
Ranked #207 of 1,990 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tucson's favorite northern Indian Punjabi cuisine for over 22 years. Enjoy homestyle Indian dishes in a beautiful décor.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Tucson is Not an Indian Food Hotspot”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I come from a background of varying Indian cuisine (working in a now-defunct Indian restaurant in N. Canton, OH throughout graduate school and accustomed thereafter to weekly visits to the stellar Bombay Sitar, also in N. Canton, OH). I know different chefs have different styles, and flair, and priorities; however, I've never had a mediocre meal at either of the aforementioned establishments no matter what regional spin the food was given.

Although the desert does not seem to me a hotspot for Indian cuisine, the India Oven Cuisine of India does try - and they almost pull it off. I happened to dine on a night where they seemed short-staffed and I had to wait a VERY long time for initial service and THEN for the check. Two hours of waiting, perhaps 30 minutes of dining, and I was more than ready to leave, but sad in a way because I really wanted to like this place. The food was good, I can say - not outstanding, but certainly not inedible.

Reviews I have read for the local area seem to indicate food trucks for Indian fare might be a bit more up my alley's palate based on my Midwest Indian preferences, but I have read very few reviews for the actual Indian restaurants in the area. Both India Oven Cuisine of India and the nearby Curry Leaf on E. Grant have very similar tastes to me - and both while good to visit once, do not necessarily inspire the desire for a return trip.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Rhonda B

Tucson, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Indian Food in Tucson”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This restaurant always has amazing flavors and a very friendly staff!
My favorite is the lunch buffet,
Charlie Spaulding

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank CharlieSpaulding
Los Angeles, California
“Ok Indian Food, Service + Ambiance”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Have tried both Buffet and Dine-In here. Dine -in food is better than Buffet in general, and both are overall ok in taste, quality and portion size. Prices are reasonable as well.
Atmosphere on the other hand is dated, dull & dark.
Service is good, but not formal/ professional as you usually find in other restaurants. However, you might like it, if you like a non formal, friendly chatty conversation with the owner who usually waits on you as well.

However, you can find better Indian Food &/ atmosphere, here in Tucson if you want to.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank ShamiJ
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“Tradidional and Awesome”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Don't judge the Cuisine of India from the outside. It sits in a half empty strip mall. But the food is simply the best Indian food in Tucson. The atmosphere in side the establishment is also a delight, cozy and relaxed. Food quality is top notch while portion sizes are spot on. Prices are on par with most other restaurants with most dishes under $10 per person. If its authentic Indian food you are looking for then this is the place for you - Enjoy

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Daniel S
Clovis, New Mexico
“au contraire”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

after reading many reviews of this restaurant, our party of six expected to experience good food, but were somewhat less optimistic about the ambiance and service. To our surprise, not only was the food absolutely excellent, the service was more than adequate. The manager attended our table - and others - and was most attentive and helpful. Our party included a lady who was born in India. Her evaluation of the food was top notch in her wide experience. Our party has already decided to return when we come back to Tucson next fall and likely attend on a monthly basis. By the way, my wife and I were recommended the Indian "Tiger" beer and the manager suggested splitting the bottle since it was 22 ounces in size. it was a very good beer and served in ice cold mugs.

• Visited March 2013