“Exceptional food and reasonable”
Review of The Dish - CLOSED

The Dish
Cuisines: American, International, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Benson, AZ
“Exceptional food and reasonable”
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

We visit the Rum Runner shop and decided to stay for dinner. We shared a spicy pumpkin seed salad, mai mai fish and polenta. Obviously enjoyed some great wine. Food was exceptionally good and well presented. Smaller portions than many places but much higher quality. No charge fir sharing.

Corralitos, California, United States
“Such a Disappointment”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had hoped for lots more in the food.

First the good stuff: the 2 waiters were great. They let me taste 2 wines before I chose my glass. They were friendly, quick and professional. The Spanish white I ended up choosing was delightful, and clearly from a freshly-opened bottle.

My friend ordered the mussels and they were good: bathed in a simple wine-butter sauce. But the bread that was served to the table was clearly stale and not that great to begin with! A place like this doesn't need to serve less-than-great bread, and certainly not stale bread. (We had GREAT bread from Bakehouse at Wildflower earlier this week, so I know that Tucson has good bread.)

We ordered the flatbread with salmon and avo to share: the toppings were simple and fresh, nothing special, but the actual flatbread was stale/chewy but not chewy in a good way. It was a bit like it had been microwaved at some point, or just truly stale.

For my 'main' I ordered the paella crab cake. The portion size was generous, but it just didn't taste good: it tasted mostly of egg (the egg must have been the binder to keep the cake together) and reminded me a little of the egg foo young (sp!?) that my grandmother used to order at cheap Chinese restaurants when I was a child. The sauce tasted entirely of bell pepper and nothing else, pureed bell pepper with a touch of cream is my guess: no hint of saffron or anything else but bell pepper. I didn't eat more than a bite of this dish.

I wish we had skipped this place and eaten at Downtown Kitchen. Next time!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Chardgirl
Santa Barbara, California
“Another Fantastic Meal”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Mussels and a glass of wine for $12.99! A price that you cannot beat and super portion and great taste.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank kuwells
Tucson
“Waited to long to return”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had not been to The Dish since they moved the restaurant and The Road Runner ( the attached wine and liquor store )..Wonderful mussels.. A great wine selection and a very cozy ( seats 30 ) restaurant.. We ate at the bar and our bar tender/waiter was about the best I have had in Tucson...What a great experience. I recommend to anyone that wants a wonderful "night out"... I don't recommend for children----I DO recommend reservations....ENJOY

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank GARYCHRISTINA
Tucson
“A great restaurant few people know about”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

One of the best restaurants in Tucson. The amaranth cakes are excellent. This eatery is in the Rum Runner so you get the added attraction of viewing the many wines and gourmet foods. Highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited October 2012