“Best Lunch Value”
Review of Anthony's in the Catalinas - CLOSED

Anthony's in the Catalinas
Cuisines: American, Central European
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Tucson
“Best Lunch Value”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when a friend treated us to lunch at Anthony’s a few days ago. My first surprise was when we ordered at the check-in counter and then we were given a number foe the wait-staff to find us. Uh-Oh, I thought, what is going on here? Has Anthony’s turned into a fast food place? Not to worry! My Glazed pork chop was Frenched, glazed and delicious. However, the accompanying broccoli and string beans were adequate but unremarkable. Nevertheless, the portions were just fine for lunch and the bill for three, with no alcoholic drinks, was about $40, not including tip. The wait staff was cheerful and friendly and the overall ambiance was not detracted by the original surprise of ordering up front and then having the food deliver to our table. I would return any time for lunch at Anthony’s.

• Visited April 2013

Tucson, Arizona
“Not on the mark”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I dined here tonight in celebration of my birthday. This was our third visit in 5 years. This restaurant is a nod to what dining out was 30 years ago. The staff are dressed in black/white and formal vests. The wine list is extensive. The table settings are lovely and the room decor pleasant. The restaurant is known for it's view of the Catalina Mountains. I rated service as a poor, but the captain and some of the staff are just terrible. They staff moved so quickly that I can only assume that they were short two people tonight. The captain's manner of speaking and accent make me think he's from New Jersey or New York--very loud, abrupt and his sense of humor not does not align with the ambiance.
The smoked salmon spread and crackers that arrived right after we were seated was delicious. They have a cocktail waitress to take a drink order immediately. The Sommelier is friendly and knowledgeable. We each had a different soup of the day and both were delicious. The table side Cesar salad is the worst we've had--anywhere. The charge of $20 for two was way overpriced for the quality. The salad did not include croutons and the appearance was really awful. If I closed my eyes, it tasted OK. Our meals were accompanied by 4 very lovely sides and the meat dishes were delicious. The chocolate truffle cake was a real disappointment, but the Italian berry dessert was delicious. I ordered a decaf latte and received a hot beverage from a dispenser--most likely a French Vanilla mix. We waited a long time for the check and the Captain uttered "no rush" as he dropped the folio on the table. The wine steward picked up the folio and the host (manager) returned it with the credit card slip. Each of those individuals could have taken the opportunity to thank us for dining with them, wish us a good evening and ask us back. That did not happen, so the evening did not end on an up note. Our other two visits were not as disappointing as this one, but given our experiences, we won't be back and won't recommend.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank TucsonTeeter
Lincoln, Nebraska
“A special occasion restaurant”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We arrived early for our reservation and were told that we would not be seated before our reservation time so we sat in the bar and had a drink. The wine and scotch list is extensive. The restaurant seems to cater to a higher-income customer.

The restaurant was very busy and the service was a bit slow. A server asked if we wanted to order another drink so my husband ordered a drink. A little while later, our food server asked if we wanted another drink. My husband told him that he had already placed an order for a drink. He went and retrieved the drink for my husband. There were several large parties that seemed to be celebrating special occasions.

The food was good. The prices are a bit higher. If we lived in Tucson, we would probably go there just occasionally and make sure to call in reservations in advance for the dining room with a window that overlooks a view of the city.

• Visited March 2013
Saint Croix Falls, Wisconsin
“Have a cocktail and Enjoy the View--Skip Dinner”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had a coupon for Anthony's and made reservations for Saturday night. We had a nice table with a wonderful view. The presentation of the cocktails was lovely. Our table captain recommended the specials as being better than the regular menu. On his advice I had Hawaiian sunfish and my husband had pork steak. The salads were good--especially the dressings. The entrees arrived and we were very disappointed. My fish was mushy and slimy and the flavor was not good. The pork steak was so tough that it had to be sawed with a steak knife. The captain came back and my husband told him that the steak was very tough. He looked at it, said it was done correctly and that he would tell the chef. He left and that was the last we saw of him until he brought the check--no apology and no correction. We left with a bad taste in our mouths. We should have just enjoyed the view and eaten somewhere else.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank Vicki N
Tucson, Arizona
“Great place for lunch”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Now open for lunch, and a very pleasant surprise. Food at Anthon's is always first class, but the experience has always been more \of a special occasion sort of place. Lunch is very good and a great bargain. I always get the small serving, plenty of food and well prepared. Good selection of above average $5 glasses of wine at lunch. Service is fast and staff is very friendly. The best value lunch in Tucson.

• Visited February 2013