“A special occasion restaurant”
Review of Anthony's in the Catalinas - CLOSED

Anthony's in the Catalinas
Cuisines: American, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We arrived early for our reservation and were told that we would not be seated before our reservation time so we sat in the bar and had a drink. The wine and scotch list is extensive. The restaurant seems to cater to a higher-income customer.

The restaurant was very busy and the service was a bit slow. A server asked if we wanted to order another drink so my husband ordered a drink. A little while later, our food server asked if we wanted another drink. My husband told him that he had already placed an order for a drink. He went and retrieved the drink for my husband. There were several large parties that seemed to be celebrating special occasions.

The food was good. The prices are a bit higher. If we lived in Tucson, we would probably go there just occasionally and make sure to call in reservations in advance for the dining room with a window that overlooks a view of the city.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had a coupon for Anthony's and made reservations for Saturday night. We had a nice table with a wonderful view. The presentation of the cocktails was lovely. Our table captain recommended the specials as being better than the regular menu. On his advice I had Hawaiian sunfish and my husband had pork steak. The salads were good--especially the dressings. The entrees arrived and we were very disappointed. My fish was mushy and slimy and the flavor was not good. The pork steak was so tough that it had to be sawed with a steak knife. The captain came back and my husband told him that the steak was very tough. He looked at it, said it was done correctly and that he would tell the chef. He left and that was the last we saw of him until he brought the check--no apology and no correction. We left with a bad taste in our mouths. We should have just enjoyed the view and eaten somewhere else.

4  Thank Vicki N
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Now open for lunch, and a very pleasant surprise. Food at Anthon's is always first class, but the experience has always been more \of a special occasion sort of place. Lunch is very good and a great bargain. I always get the small serving, plenty of food and well prepared. Good selection of above average $5 glasses of wine at lunch. Service is fast and staff is very friendly. The best value lunch in Tucson.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was a little surprised to see so many negative reviews about Anthony's food, service and prices. I had not been in many years, but remembered it fondly. We went last week, and agreed that it is still a lovely spot. The menu and service are quite traditional, with Ceasar salads prepared tableside, and entrees like veal Marsala. Our food was very tasty, prepared well with good quality ingredients. The selection of California red wines ( the primary area of focus for us) is sensational, with many rare and exceptional offerings, reasonably priced in relation to their rarity and age, since many cannot be obtained at any price. The wine service was friendly and helpful, not the least bit snobby or condescending. We used a groupon for our food, and no one batted an eyelash. I will certainly be back, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a traditional fine dining experience.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The food was delish, and the view perfect. The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is because I think it's a bit pricey. Great attention to detail and the staff very accommodating. We went for my birthday but didn't tell them til we were leaving and thanking them for a super celebratory dinner. Dancer (our waiter) was sincerely sad that we hadn't told him sooner so that he could bring us a "birthday surprise".