“Gem of a Restaurant”

Neighborhood: El Presidio
Mooresville, NC USA
“Gem of a Restaurant”
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Cafe Poca Cosa was recommended by a friend at UA. We asked where we should eat our one dinner inTucson and without hesitation, this was the answer. Don't even ask for a menu, just ask for the chef's special. You will not be disappointed.

1 Thank marklclark

Bakersfield, CA
“Not your typical Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

While traveling, it is always an adventure finding good places to eat. Having never visited Tucson Arizona, we decided to give this restaurant a try. What a pleasant surprise. It is located downtown, so I was a little worried about parking. Not a problem, the restaurant is located right next to the elevator in the parking structure where we parked. Having eaten at many a Mexican restaurant in California, I thought that I had eaten just about every Mexican dish available. I was so wrong. This restaurant features foods from all over Mexico. The menu changes constantly and is presented on a chalkboard by your server. This makes it very easy to go back and not worry about having to eat the same dish over and over again. As you can see by the pictures, the presentation is fabulous, but wait until you taste the food. It tastes as good as it looks.

If you want to try something different in Mexican food, do yourself a favor and try this place out. I feel strongly that you will not be disappointed.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank ca4ks
Burbank, California
“Omg this place is the shiz”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Not only the best Mexican food in Tucson- the best I've ever had. Was there for lunch - the place was slammed, staff friendly and helpful. 2 of us ordered the chefs special ( different for every plate)
Carne asada, tamale pie and a chicken dish on my plate- all 5 star amazing and all for 15 dollars- go there, eat and enjoy all the flavor that food should have at a reasonable price . Nothing else to say except Holey moley WOW

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Bonnie V
Kansas City USA
“My favorite restaurant ...anywhere!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Delicious and unusual Mexican cuisine ....not tex mex. entrees change - they're presented on a chalkboard. I always get the Plato for a sample of three entrees. We ate dinner and lunch here. The best!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank PCVagabond
Boston, MA
“Would come again for drinks ... not a meal”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

What a neat place! Funky and totally out of place when you look around at the area. The wait staff is high energy (a little too high energy for our groups' taste) and the owner is on site and involved in the kitchen with food prep, greeting customers and circulating about making sure all is well.

The good - excellent margaritas, and an extra bonus that they are available in pitchers. Good thin, fresh salty chips.

It's a limited menu, so don't expect to see guac here (booooooooo - no guac in AZ at a Mexican restaurant?) and don't you dare ask to have anything special done to your food. You don't get to request your combo items if you choose plate of the day, you don't get to request any sauce on the side (so if you have dietary restrictions good luck), no chance to get your salad separated from your food (did I mention that the salad is served as the bed that your main dish is on? I can not handle warm lettuce!)

So in a nutshell, great atmosphere, and our group loved the drinks, but felt as if the rest of the meal was pretty regimented. The food was good but not mindblowing. I am not a fan of dining out and having no control on my selections - if I wanted to just eat what was put in front of me I'd go to the neighbors or home to mom. I have some dietary restrictions so the mystery plate wasn't for me, although I'm sure there are brave souls out there that enjoy a chef choosing the best items to serve that day based on freshness and etc.

• Visited January 2013