“over crowded and noisy with mediocre food”

Blue Willow Restaurant & Gift Shop
Ranked #28 of 1,995 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Known for serving hearty breakfasts, wholesome lunches, and delicious dinners, the Blue Willow is a Tucson tradition. Enjoy year-round patio dining in the lush garden or a casual dinner by the cozy fireplace. Serving loyal customers since 1978, the Blue Willow is proud to offer American classics that comfort and gratify. Order our award winning desserts for any special occasion or just stop by to shop in our unique gift shop.
Tucson, Arizona
“over crowded and noisy with mediocre food”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Went to the Blue Willow on a Sunday afternoon. The Service was efficient but rushed. The room we sat in was extremely noisy with children fussing, yelling and banging utensils on the table...the door to the bathroom gave a loud slam every time someone went in or out. The place was packed at 2:00 p.m. After receiving our drinks I ordered the quiche and the person I was with ordered fruit crepes. The quiche was almost inedible. I think they must have microwaved it because the crust was rubbery and the filling was extremely hot when it arrived. It was accompanied by fruit, such as you would find as garnish at most places, and bread with the consistency of Styrofoam. I also asked for a salad. A very simple and small salad which lacked flavor. I was completely dissatisfied with my food. Sadly, the wait staff was so busy they never asked even after they took my meal away with most of it still on the plate.

On a brighter note my friend's meal looked delicious even if it was better suited for dessert. She liked it well enough. I did not make it a point to complain about the food because I have no intention of going back. The food was sub par, the atmosphere worse.

1 Thank Elia G

Tucson, Arizona
“Food was cold...”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We tried Blue Willow early evening on a weekday, and it was not crowded at all. Nonetheless, the food was lukewarm at best, and the service mediocre. The good reviews seem to come from the crowded breakfasts, but after our experience we will just have to take those diners words for it as we will not be back.

• Visited May 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good, Not Great”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

What I most enjoy about Blue Willow is the atmosphere. It's a quaint little place with a cozy, homey vibe. It is easy to have a conversation because your voice isn't lost in the crowd, and most tables aren't located right smack in the middle of a room. It is busy on the weekends, but once you are seated you forget about the wait. We go after 10/11 on weekends and the wait is usually minimal. The decorations are quirky and cute, the gift shop is a nice little touch, and the patio is beautiful.

I have only eaten here for breakfast so I cannot comment on lunch/dinner. The breakfast menu is a bit small, which wouldn't be a bad thing if the dishes were more imaginative. I had french toast with a green corn tamale on the side. The french toast was good, but it was not unlike every other french toast I've made in my own kitchen. There was not nothing creative or "great" about it, which was disappointing because one would expect quirky dishes in a quirky atmosphere. There was no a fresh fruit topping, fruit compote, or well, anything other than two pieces of toast, and a boat of syrup. The tamale was bland, but the homemade salsa was good. My husband had an omelet which he enjoyed. Again, though, nothing out of the ordinary or creative or imaginative. Staff was very friendly, but not over-the-top, which was welcomed.

We bought a few things from the bakery on the way out. The chocolate chip cookie was good, the homemade oreo was delicious.

Overall, this is a good place to go if you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere. I don't know what the Blue Willow used to have on it's menu, but sadly its breakfast fare is no longer creative or different. I wish they would think outside the box a little more. You will enjoy the food, but you won't rave about it.

1 Thank KMS99
Old Lyme, Connecticut
“Blue Willow Restaurant”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Well located, decent parking. Casual atmosphere, food good with a lot of variety. Service good. Prices reasonable.

Visited May 2012
wimberley tx
“Great Breakfast”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great breakfast, atmosphere, and gift shop. Has outdoors inside in one of the rooms. Very good for people with kids. Would go again.