Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tucson Mall
Ranked #67 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
“Nice!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Nice tidy hotel, looks like it was recently renovated. Big clean rooms, excellent pool area with guest bbq. Fairly good free breakfast in very clean breakfast room. Close to mall and restaurants. Plenty of free parking. Good value for money.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Karin P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tucson Mall, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a wonderful review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you are able to return soon. Have a great summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Tucson
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at this property for two nights while we had some construction going on at our home. When I arrived, the front desk merely told me about breakfast and they sent me on my way. I went to my room and unpacked. I turned on the TV only to realize that it was only getting one channel. I called the front desk to ask if the cable was out. They informed me that the TVs were acting up due to the renovations going on in the hotel. I asked if the TV would work later and she told me it would not. She was acting like this was no big deal. I asked about the next step as I wanted a working TV and she didn't seem to have any idea. I asked if another room would have a working TV and she said maybe. I could come down and pick up the keys to another room to try it out.

I went to the front desk and waited in line to get the keys.

The front desk clerk gave me the keys for a room on the first floor. This TV also had issues - different issues but problems just the same. The room was also a downgrade from my reservation.

I went back to the front desk and waited in line. This time I was helped by another person although the original clerk I was dealing with was sitting there. The new clerk listened to the story. She asked if I had touched anything in my original room. I told her I had unpacked. She said she just wanted to know if she could re rent it when I moved. Apparently, they had no problem renting the room again even with a non-functional TV. She gave me keys to another room. I guess it was my job to run all over the hotel looking for a room with a working TV. I'm not sure why this was my job. I'm the customer that thought they were renting a decent room in a nationally recognized chain.

This room had a TV that worked. I moved my belongings and returned the keys to the front desk. If this room had not worked out, I was leaving. It is crazy to think that people wouldn't care about having a working TV. For that matter, we didn't know the hotel was under renovation when we booked the reservation. It was completely unacceptable to send a customer to multiple rooms to resolve an issue that they should not have to be dealing with at all.

All three of the rooms were clean. Breakfast at the hotel was fine. Service was the problem. Even when I checked out, they didn't care enough to ask about my stay. They just said "you are all set".

Room Tip: Don't stay at this property until the renovations are done.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tucson Mall, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear pshajh,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We certainly work very hard to ensure our guests receive the very best service we can provide each and every day. Please accept our deepest apologies that on this occasion we fell short of your expectations. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer and comments from our guests are always welcome.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Gurnee, Illinois
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This is a fantastic and very well maintained Hotel. They are currently going thru renovations at the time I am writing this. Nov 2013. Upgraded rooms and TV's. Very Nice. It was a little distracting staying there when this is going on. The wireless and wired internet did not work for my 3 day stay as well as the new TV's were a challenge, as the remote didnt work and the TV kept changing channels on its own. Other than that once completed this will be a top notch hotel. Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: The side where I stayed had a small farm and you heard the cows and sheep.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Wickenburg, Arizona
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This has to be the best HI Express I've stayed in. My room was spacious, clean with the usual shampoos & lotions. And, the pillows were plump. The breakfast was more than expected with a wide selection of cold and hot foods. The price was very reasonable for this time of year. The desk clerk was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank beamc
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was working in downtown Tucson, but I don't really like to stay downtown. This hotel was about 20 minutes away, but very centrally located to numerous restaurants and even some shopping at the Tucson Mall. The atmosphere at the hotel was quiet and relaxing, and the staff were all welcoming and friendly. The breakfast doesn't change day to day, but there is enough variety that you can pick something different each day. I only have two complaints. The internet service is horrible. It was sooooo slooooow that I couldn't even get my email, and you can forget any website browsing. Pages took forever to load or got hung up. My other complaint is the fitness room was kept so warm that it felt like a sauna. This is a recent change, as I stayed here in June and the temperature in the room was far cooler at that time. I told the front desk, but they apparently didn't or couldn't do anything about it, because it stayed that warm all three weeks of my stay. Still, it's a decent value for the money, and I will probably stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
jcm6239, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tucson Mall, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay, We truly appreciate your business. In regards to the internet service, I have contacted our provider so they can look into the issue with the internet service. I would also like to apologize for the temperature in our exercise room during your stay, we had a problem with the A/C unit which has now been fixed. We hope to see you again when your in the Tucson area and appreciate the time you took to leave us feedback from your stay.

Jon Martin
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I traveled all week so I was not really looking forward to another hotel stay but I promised the kids a quick trip to Tucson. So I picked this location since it is close to the Mall and my old neighborhood where I grew up. The room was nice, clean and spacious. The bed was a little worn but tolerable. The Hotel was fresh and clean and the front desk staff was amazing! The pool was a great treat, especially the hot tub. The next day I was very blown away with the breakfast! The food was fresh and the salsa that was homemade would have won any challenge, in fact I left with a cup of it and I wish I could drive down to get more!!!!! All in all I like the place will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
jcm6239, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tucson Mall, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Happy that you enjoyed your stay and our breakfast, hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Jon Martin
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This HI Express is very nice. We had an early morning engagement so we missed breakfast. Internet was fast and the flat screen tv was very nice. Had no animal odors, I'm fact, I am not sure there were any animals next door.

Room Tip: I like east facing rooms to help get up early.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
jcm6239, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tucson Mall, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We appreciate the time to you took to leave feedback regarding our Hotel and your stay. We are pleased you had a pleasant stay and hope to be your choice when traveling to Tucson in the future.