“Best place to stay in Tucson”
Review of RoadRunner Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tucson
RoadRunner Hostel
Ranked #3 of 47 Specialty Lodging in Tucson
Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
“Best place to stay in Tucson”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Love this place! I stay here every time I'm in Tucson and recommend it to all my friends. Everyone is nice, the place feels homey and it is super affordable. Jimmy and the rest of the staff are accommodating and fun, and are a good example of that welcoming laid back Tucson energy. Perfect location too, right Downtown. There's a nice little back porch perfect for reading and they have waffles every morning.

- Marlan

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Msigsig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hostel's Web site states that they accept traveler's checks. Well...only if they are in small enough denominations that the boss feels like making change. After arriving at the hostel in the evening (single woman traveling alone) I was told I would have to find a bank and cash the travelers' check and bring the cash back to pay for the 8 nights I had reserved. (They took cash for the 1st night; I had that much on me.) There are no banks in the vicinity, or for that matter much of anything else. The owner stalked off rudely after making this request.

The private rooms are across the street -- and around a long, narrow, dimly lit passageway -- in another building. A bit creepy. Couldn't get on the wireless, even using the password posted on the door of the room. They have installed new electronic locks, which is nice, but in this city, for the same rate as a private room here, you can get a much better room with the same included breakfast (which, thankfully, I did.) The staff are welcoming enough, but the owner really needs to think about the fact that he's in the hospitality business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank TTW53
Redding, California, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I agree with all the other reviews in terms of cleanliness and dedicated staff. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hostel to others going to Tucson. It's an excellent urban hostel at a very reasonable price. The property is in a residential neighborhood just on the edge of downtown and very convenient with many entertainment and dining options. The facilities are excellent with big screen tv, free movies, a well equipped kitchen with commercial grade gas range, free wifi, patio etc. In every case of a special need or request I appreciated the helpfulness and flexibility of the staff. Do be aware that the hostel closes completely for cleaning from noon to 3 pm but the results make it well worth the having to be out during those hours.

Room Tip: The private room in the main building is spacious and pleasing. However, since the "outside liv...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jeen W
Ferndale, California
Reviewed February 22, 2013

For several years I've used this hostel as home base in my wanderings around the western US and Mexico. Immaculate, great management and staff, convenient to downtown and transportation.

RoadRunner Hostel
Jewel in the Desert
Traveler's Oasis.

Room Tip: In dorms, choose a lower bunk where you can personally control the fresh air flow into the room.
6 Thank William R
Melbourne
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've been coming to Tucson for over 13 years now, for the gem show. I always come back to the Roadrunner, because I know that I'm going to be treated with a personal touch that doesn't exist at most hotels and motels. The place is clean and well maintained, and the staff are warm, extremely helpful and respectful. I stay in a private room, which is located in a separate building, about 150m from the main hostel. This means that I can choose to sit around the table and socialize with other visitors at the hostel, or go to the quiet of my room - the best of both worlds! The rooms are comfortable, with clean shared bathrooms and hot, high pressure showers.
I could easily stay at a hotel in town with my own self-contained room and bathroom, but I CHOOSE to stay at the Roadrunner, because it gives me what I need, plus those extra things that make the Roadrunner so unique. I'm looking forward to my next visit next year!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank DozzyB
Waterloo, Ontario
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I agree with all positive reviews - an excellent urban hostel at a very reasonable price. The property is in a residential neighbourhood just on the edge of downtown and very convenient with many entertainment and dining options. The house was completely full on the weekend I stayed, making it seem a bit cramped, but the facilities are excellent with big screen tv, free movies, a well equipped kitchen with commercial grade gas range, free wifi, patio etc. They had no room when I arrived Saturday night but allowed me to bed down on the couch on the patio for half price until there was room for me in a dorm the next night. I appreciated the helpfulness and flexibility of the staff. Just be aware that the hostel closes completely for cleaning from noon to 3 pm for cleaning.

5 Thank ClimbnRide
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Best place to stay in Tucson. Hard working hostel staff clean top to bottom and launder the bedding daily. Something I get a kick out of is that it is hard to tell the clientele and staff apart. This laid back and friendly hostel draws kind people from all over the world for a communal experience. I am now inspired to try out more hostels on my travels and will recomend this visit to anyone. Thank you Roadrunner Hostel.

Room Tip: For best results stay in the dorms.
4 Thank Joshua T