“desert oasis”
Review of RoadRunner Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tucson
RoadRunner Hostel
Ranked #3 of 47 Specialty Lodging in Tucson
Ferndale, California
“desert oasis”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

For several years I've used this hostel as home base in my wanderings around the western US and Mexico. Immaculate, great management and staff, convenient to downtown and transportation.

RoadRunner Hostel
Jewel in the Desert
Traveler's Oasis.

Room Tip: In dorms, choose a lower bunk where you can personally control the fresh air flow into the room.
6 Thank William R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Melbourne
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've been coming to Tucson for over 13 years now, for the gem show. I always come back to the Roadrunner, because I know that I'm going to be treated with a personal touch that doesn't exist at most hotels and motels. The place is clean and well maintained, and the staff are warm, extremely helpful and respectful. I stay in a private room, which is located in a separate building, about 150m from the main hostel. This means that I can choose to sit around the table and socialize with other visitors at the hostel, or go to the quiet of my room - the best of both worlds! The rooms are comfortable, with clean shared bathrooms and hot, high pressure showers.
I could easily stay at a hotel in town with my own self-contained room and bathroom, but I CHOOSE to stay at the Roadrunner, because it gives me what I need, plus those extra things that make the Roadrunner so unique. I'm looking forward to my next visit next year!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank DozzyB
Waterloo, Ontario
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I agree with all positive reviews - an excellent urban hostel at a very reasonable price. The property is in a residential neighbourhood just on the edge of downtown and very convenient with many entertainment and dining options. The house was completely full on the weekend I stayed, making it seem a bit cramped, but the facilities are excellent with big screen tv, free movies, a well equipped kitchen with commercial grade gas range, free wifi, patio etc. They had no room when I arrived Saturday night but allowed me to bed down on the couch on the patio for half price until there was room for me in a dorm the next night. I appreciated the helpfulness and flexibility of the staff. Just be aware that the hostel closes completely for cleaning from noon to 3 pm for cleaning.

5 Thank ClimbnRide
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Best place to stay in Tucson. Hard working hostel staff clean top to bottom and launder the bedding daily. Something I get a kick out of is that it is hard to tell the clientele and staff apart. This laid back and friendly hostel draws kind people from all over the world for a communal experience. I am now inspired to try out more hostels on my travels and will recomend this visit to anyone. Thank you Roadrunner Hostel.

Room Tip: For best results stay in the dorms.
4 Thank Joshua T
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Roadrunner is the best hostel experience I've had and I've stayed at many hostels all over the world. For starters, it is spotless. It's also very affordable and in a great location. But it's the staff that make this place what it is. First, a shout out to Dave for owning the Roadrunner. He even baked us all lasagna for Christmas eve dinner. Next a shout out to Jimmy who manages this place and runs a tight ship. The friendly staff -- Gert, Jesse, Caitlin, Mike and Becky -- were all so helpful, especially when I sustained a back injury while in Tucson. They sprang into action to help me out by moving my room closer to the common area and offering to help in any way they could. Caitlin even lent me her yoga mat. Did I forget Howie? No. A special thanks to Howie who connected me with a massage therapist and arranged for an on-site location where I could get the massage. Great folks. Great place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank athensmaryt
San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. The dorm beds were $20 a night, which is very inexpensive for a hostel in a big city. The location is great.

Hostels and hotels/motels serve two different markets. With hotels/motels, you get more luxury and privacy, but some people see that as affluent and isolating. With a hostel, you get a community-centered environment with genuine human connection. But, some people who are naturally introverted might not be comfortable with that. That being said, I'll always take a hostel if the option exists, and the RoadRunner is as good as it gets.

You're nearly always going to be in close proximity to other people, whether your kicking back, preparing meals, or hitting the hay. Your hostel-mates are mostly going to be friendly and young at heart. Come in with an open ear and mind - you'll hear some amazing life stories and make a lot of friends.

It's not luxurious or fancy, but that's not really what hostels are about. It is, however, clean and well-maintained. As far as hostels go, it's one of the best I've ever stayed at. I highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Colin R
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The Roadrunner has all you could ask for in an urban hostel- great location, affordable rates and opportunities for meeting others from all over the world. What makes the Roadrunner great are all the things you can't find in other hostels. The staff aren't disillusioned to constant travelers and treat everyone as if they're staying for a month. They also do a great job keeping the place clean and balancing having a fun place to stay that never gets rowdy.

For a trip in Tucson there is no better place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012