“Paid $1181 and didn't stay one night”

Sonoran Suites of Tucson
Ranked #84 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
“Paid $1181 and didn't stay one night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Arrived on a Friday evening to what was supposed to be a 6 night stay. The apt was nice, great size, with a view we liked. Then we realized it had not been cleaned since the previous occupant left (bed unmade, bathroom and kitchen not cleaned, and tip money for the maid still on the counter, etc). Justin said there was no one available to clean the apartment that day or possible even the next day. He had us move to the apartment directly below. We moved our luggage, and left for dinner. When we came back, the ac fan was still blowing, but not cooling and it was 89 degrees in there. I called the emergency number. 15 minutes later, I tried again. A few minutes later, I recieved a text message apologizing for the inconvenience, but no one could fix the ac that night. The message offered no alternative accomodation. I only got a return call after I expressed my dismay at receiving a text message. Needless to say, we were unhappy and left.

I attempted to contact the office and Justin specifically on Saturday for either a full refund or refund for Friday and Saturday, with a unit without issues for the rest of the stay. No reply whatsoever. On Monday, after calling again, Justin, who apparently is the sales manager, finally called back. He made me the same offer I had tried male on Saturday, with the refund for 2 nights...but this was on Monday!!! I advised Justin I had already changed my flight and that would not work. So far, I am still waiting to hear back from him or the owner (who I specifically asked to speak to).

At this point, I am out $1181. Stay far away from this place and their poor customer service!! I didnt not expect a hotel level of service but a clean apartment when I walked in and working AC. Apparently that's asking too much!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Flipperch

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

With the current condition of the beds, which were not very comfortable (hard on one side and soft on the other), I would not recommend more than a night's stay here. All else were good though. Wasn't anywhere near town but you can get a good view of the mountains.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation to stay at Sonoran suites I had a family emergency and canceled my reservations 4 days ahead of my arrival date. They charged me over $300.00 for canceling due to a family emergency. I called the hotel 3 times and left a message with the hotel manager Justin and he's yet to return my call. I am continuing to dispute the charges. Extremely unhappy....

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Lpeake
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We live in Tucson and stayed at Sonoran Suites while there was construction being completed at our home. We rented the unit for 5 nights but ended up staying only three.

First, Sonoran Suites is not a location: It is a collection of residential apartment units in the Pinnacle Heights apartment complex. The location is great and the views are spectacular. That's where the positives end. This review is not a review of the non-Sonoran Suites apartments, which I am sure are in much better condition.

The issues start after you make the reservation and give them your credit card number over the phone. Then you get an email with the "occupancy agreement" that you must sign and initial. You then must make a photo copy of the front and back of your credit card and government issued ID with photo. Then they tell you to FAX or scan and email everything back to them. After reading the four pages of single spaced rules and regulations, I complied with their request---after all they had my credit card info and was told there was no option for cancellation once that was provided.

Now comes the day of arrival. Check in is after 3pm. You are instructed to go to the lockbox that is attached to the door frame of the unit. Enter the four digit code (which I wonder how often that is changed) and access the "entry key". Then you unlock the door and go and are instructed to return the key to the lockbox immediately (said key will be needed once again when you leave since both sets of keys must be left on the kitchen counter or you will be charged $50.00.

When we got to the unit, we were dumbfounded that we had to go down a very steep flight of stairs, walk about twenty feet and then CLIMB another steep flight of stairs. Why was there no disclosure regarding this? Tucson is a popular vacation location for many retirees and these steps could have made access to the rented unit impossible. Also, families with children would have a major hazard every time they entered or left the unit.

Now the fun really begins. When we walked into the apartment the following were immediately very noticeable:

1. The carpet is filthy. It is most likely the original carpeting and is beyond any hope of salvaging through cleaning. It is worn through the carpet to the backing in many of the thresholds; a fact that I quickly learned after walking over a threshold with barefeet and cutting my foot on the tack strip the was sticking through the carpet backing (remember, there is no carpeting visible in some areas of the thresholds due to it being so badly worn.

2. The counters in the kitchen have had the original formica "coated" with some type of speckled counter paint, which is chipping off in many places. This creates a major concern for a less than hygienic cooking surface.

3. The master bedroom closet had major water damage coming from the ceiling. The paint has bubbled and it appears that there has been no effort to repair the damage; a fact that lead me to have very serious concerns about the possible presence of black mold in the walls of this unit; a definite health hazard.

None if this is meant to disparage the cleaning staff, since it was apparent that the maid had done as good a job as she could with a unit in terrible condition.

On the plus side, the TV worked and wireless internet was easily accessed.

We decided to leave early. It was simply too much to have to watch every place you walked for the tack strips and, more importantly, I was concerned about what mold may lurk behind the walls due to the water leak.

The layout of this unit is nice. The views are great. Sonoran Suites is clearly milking all of the dollars they can get out of the units before investing the necessary dollars to bring them to an acceptable standard.

When we left, following the VERY detailed instructions, we took out ALL the trash, washed any dishes used and accessed the lockbox to use the key to lock the unit. We also, per the warnings of Sonoran Suites, turned off the air conditioning. All of these instructions are given under the threat of major surcharges being charged to your credit card if they are not done. It's in the fine print of the four page occupancy agreement.

It is apparent that Sonoran Suites being managed out of an office 100 miles away in Phoenix is contributing to this problem. Out of sight, out of mind. They need to spend a day and physically inspect the units; asking themselves----Would I stay here? I am sure there answer would be no.

I am glad we were not staying her for a vacation. They sell you nice looking units on their website, but the reality (at least in our case) was very far from the pictures they present.

Room Tip: Ask how many stairs there are to access the unit. Ask for a mountain view. Most importantly, ask h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gregjm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

My family and I enjoyed our stay with sonoran suites in Tucson. We thought that the place was great for our needs and really enjoyed the swimming pool. It was nice to be able to cook our own food in the kitchen so that we didn't have to eat out every single night. We hope to be able to use Sonoran Suites again on our next vacation.

• Stayed February 2013
Tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

We arrived at Sonoran Suites in Tucson and the apartment was clean and although the amenities were not top notch, it seemed comfortable. We were tired from a long drive and wanted to relax in front of the TV. All we got was snow on both the television in the living room and the bedroom. Both TV's were the old box TV's, maybe 23 inch, nothing upgraded. But it didn't matter because there was no reception. We woke in the morning to the same. When we tried to call the office there was only an answering machine. Upon checking, there were two different times for the opening of the office, one at 9:00 am and one at 10:30. We called the Sonoran Suites office repeatedly after 10:30 and did not get anyone to answer until 10:50, even though she told me the office was open at 1030.We told the young woman, Asia, about the televisions. She said she would call the housekeeper to check it out. She called back and confirmed the there was not reception (I guess she didn't believe us). She said she would call the cable company and get back with me. Several hours later we came back and there was still no reception. I called the Sonoran Suites of Tucson office (they are in Phoenix) and spoke with Asia again, she said the cable company said they couldn't get out there today. I find this hard to believe, they are usually very responsive. I asked her what she was going to do as the football game was on and we really wanted to stay in and have a few drinks and watch the game (responsible adults- didn't want to drink and drive). She said there was nothing she could do, that it was the cable company. I was very irritated with this response and asked her to move us to a unit that had tv. She said she didn't have any other units available. I hung up and went on hotels.com. I was in fact able to get a room for the same price I got my room. So she lied to me. Wanting to be sure, we called the direct line to Sonoran Suites, disgusing my voice, to see if we could book a room. She tried to sell me a room for double the price and when I told her I could get it on hotels.com for much cheaper she honored the price and could give me a room for that night (plus a $35 cleaning charge not included in the hotels.com price) I hung up and called back to confront Asia about having rooms. Asia was very irritated with me and told me she wouldn't move me unless I paid $35 to have the unit we were in cleaned. I told her that I didn't feel this was my problem and that they advertised they had basic cable and should find me a room with basic cable, not at my expense. I asked to have the owner from Sonoran Suites call me. She told me the owner would give me a much worse response than she did. I knew she had no intention of having the owner of Sonoran Suites of Tucson call me (now one week later and no call). Asia was rude to me many times during our conversations and ultimately told me that for the rate I paid they were not going to honor having a working television. I told her I was going to write a letter of complaint and she said "Well if you think the time is worth it for just not being able to watch tv, then go ahead." Her comments were made to belittle me and my complaint. I got angry with her snotty attitude and she got so mad at me that she hung up on me. That was the last I heard from anyone at Sonoran Suites of Tucson. We come to Tucson twice a month and have stayed many places. We will NEVER stay here again. Their customer service is terrible and they don't care about their customers or providing the level of service they advertise. There are many great, inexpensive places to stay in Tucson. Don't stay here!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! If you have any problems they have only specific office hours and even when the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank K T
SonoranSuitesManager, Manager at Sonoran Suites of Tucson, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
I am offering my sincerest apologies for the behavior of our associate towards this guest. I cannot say anything other than this is unacceptable and certainly does not represent our standards. The remainder of this matter is being handled internally. I offer my personal apology to our guest and I would like to assure her and everyone else that our goal is ultimate guest satisfaction, contacting us will in fact result in positive solutions, not further frustrations. I only wish I had been aware of the situation at the time it was occurring, not several weeks later. I have contacted the guest and offered a solution if we can have the opportunity to have her stay with us again. Chris Jansen - Sonoran Suites
Indio, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

My golf group is tough. We're old, grouchy and just tough to please. Chris Jansen at Sonoran Suites had the misfortune of dealing with me, and with Bart, another member of my group. We come in the summer because it is cheap, we like that. I must say, Chris knows his stuff - he set us up with 4 great rounds of golf, one of them at the Ritz Carlton course which is private, he must know some people or something. He treated us like we were full rate paying guests in their high season. The condos were good, kind of in the middle of Sabino and close to another course we played and liked at Arizona's National. The bathrooms were especially clean. If I stay at a non chain hotel like this I judge them by weird stuff like the toiletries and linens and these were good and nice. The beds were fine and I slept well, one guy complained about them but he complains about everything. I thought we got a fair deal and I was happy with what we paid and especially with the quality and the service I got.

Room Tip: Ask for Chris
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends