“In a region of excellent Mexican food, this is one of my favorites”
Review of Los Portales

Los Portales
Ranked #1,003 of 2,023 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Situated among many other Mexican restaurants in South Tucson is this gem of an eatery. From the seafood to the standard lunch combos, everything I have tried here was excellent. The service is relaxed but attentive.
They have a fresh hand made masa corn tortilleria and griddle right in the restaurant, which my Chinese wife thought should be a participatory kind of thing. They were happy to wash her up and let her learn how to make some. It's a friendly place to say the least.
I think both newbies to the Southwest as well as locals will like this restaurant and keep coming back, like we do.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We found this restaurant here on Trip Advisor and ate there 3 nights during our 5-night stay in Tucson. Always fresh, consistent, delicious food with excellent service and a lovely atmosphere. Best chili rellenos! I had them every time! Hubby said everything he had was delicious and the meats tender. Tastes fresh and homemade- can't go wrong here!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I stopped by Los Portales for lunch with a couple of friends and all of us were very pleased with not only the selections available, but with the food we received. We were greeted with warm chips and a nice spicy salsa and the drinks were served ice cold with frosted glasses. The menu is loaded with wonderful looking selections and it was hard deciding what to have. I ordered the Shrimp Fajitas (a favorite of mine at any restaurant) which came with very tasty rice and beans on the side. The servings were of ample size and the taste was great. My wife and my friends wife both had the Cheese Enchiladas and were very pleased with their dishes. My friend had the Camarones Fantasia and said they were as good as the ones we get in Mexico. The service was friendly and there was never a hesitation on any special request. A truly great Mexican restaurant in a city that has so many mediocre ones. Give them a try!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Don't miss out on great service and great Mexican food at great prices. We just walked in one day and I guarntee we will be going back every time we want some real Mexican food and great service.. Yummy!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I always come here when I visit Tucson. They serve REAL Mexican food. First they wet your appetite with fresh tortilla chips and home made salsa. I could feast on that alone. So good, I'm glad they keep on refilling it. For main course, try their cocido de res (Mexican beef and vegetable stew). Beef is so tender and the vegetables cooked just right. The broth is not greasy at all, and taste really good, not salty the way I want it. I also order the beef tamales. Another excellent choice. I feel like I'm in Mexico when I eat here. Locals eat here and they come with their families to celebrate special occasions. There are many good Mexican restaurants in Tucson, but if you want authentic Mexican food and not spend a fortune, you should come here.

Been to Los Portales? Share your experiences!