“Good pizza but a bit pricier than expected”

Mama's Famous Pizza & Heroes
Ranked #1,012 of 1,977 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Tucson, Arizona
“Good pizza but a bit pricier than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We went to the Mama's on Oracle about 7:30 on a weeknight. It wasn't crowded, and we were able to order (which you do in a cafeteria-like line) right away. The small regular crust pizza is $12.95 but with 4 toppings, it was about $20. With drinks for 2, the total was almost $28.

The pizza was good but I wouldn't say great. We might go back but will keep looking for more of a restaurant atmosphere. This restaurant is more of a take-the-kids-out-for-pizza place than a restaurant.

• Visited November 2013

Wantagh, New York
“Good For "Arizona" Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

It is hard for a New Yorker to get pizza anywhere else. That said, the pizza here was actually pretty good. They make this massive pie - I think it is 24" across - that has everything but the kitchen sink on it. I tend to like my pizza a little plainer than that. It was a little "doughy" but not bad. We also had a "normal" sized pizza with pepperoni that was very good. The crust was cooked perfectly and there was just the right ratio of sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. We also had the side salad which had enough ingredients to keep you interested. It had nice, HOT, Italian peppers.

Visited November 2013
Sparks, Nevada, United States
“Best Pizza in Tucson!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have eaten at Mama's for years and now that I have moved to Reno, I can't find anywhere that compares. I couldn't visit Tucson without eating at Mama's! Great New York style pizza, with a nice crispy crust (fyi- it tastes even better reheated in the oven). The sauce is perfect- not too spicy, but not at all bland. I am originally from the midwest & east coast and this is as good as I have had anywhere.

• Visited October 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Greatness!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Im from NY and I have had some experience with Pizza. Mamas pizza was as good if not better than any pizza I have ever had. This is a real deal NY style Pizza. We ordered a large pie to-go and got a beer with a slice while waiting. The slice was the largest I have ever seen! I found out that it comes from the family sized large pizza which is a monster, easily would feed 6 to 8 really hungry people. The staff was great, while waiting for our order there was a slight mix up on our slices. They responded terrifically and made sure we were happy. Every business will have a issue here and there but its how they deal with it that will set them apart. Mamas did great! If you like NY style pizza (some do not) this is the place!

• Visited July 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“No Consistency”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We used to go to Mama's every Friday night, but as of late, the pizza's have been disappointing. We always order a mushroom and extra cheese pizza and almost every time there is not extra cheese; actually there is barely any cheese at all! Twice the pizza has been burned on the bottom and they had to remake it. I will say that they are always willing to make it right, but it get's frustrating having to wait to have a second pizza made. The atmosphere is great, nice tables and booths, a nice patio and wonderful music (recorded, not live). They have a good selection of wine and beer as well. If they could standardize the food, we would love to restart our Friday night traditions of pizza and beer on the patio. All in all, it's not a bad place, great for families, but just not what it use to b.

• Visited May 2013

Been to Mama's Famous Pizza & Heroes? Share your experiences!