“Tasty, but Skimpy Portions” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Parish
Ranked #44 of 1,971 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub, Cajun & Creole, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Marana, Arizona
“Tasty, but Skimpy Portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I had read the reviews of The Parish and decided to give it a try. This bar/restaurant has a neighborhood feel to it and the staff was friendly and attentive. We started with two beers from their on tap selection and moved on to an appetizer and dinner. We shared the goat cheese relleno and found it to be delicious. However, $8.00 for one skinny chile filled with cheese is a bit pricey (my opinion). When our dinner arrived, we were also disappointed in the portions. On the menu, "Shrimp and Grits" is noted as serving the grits as "cakes" PLURAL, but only one was served. My husband also commented on the bowl of Guedry's Gumbo; saying that they must be running short because his bowl was only half filled. We loved the food, but wondered why they would skimp on the portions in such a pronounced fashion. We will go back, but have dedided to stick with beer and perhaps give their burgers a try.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Tucson, Arizona
“Cajun Cooking in the Desert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

The night before the Super Bowl (which was played in New Orleans) I took my son and his wife and my old Air Force friend and his girl friend to The Parish to get some good old down south cajun gumbo. I had been there before and knew what to expect but my guests were a little wary as the restaurant is located on the end of a strip mall and once had been a Mexican restaurant. I convinced everyone to order the gumbo which comes with some of the best hush puppies I have ever eaten and no one left disappointed or hungry. I have spent a lot of time in New Orleans during my flying career and I can honestly say that the gumbo here is as good as any I have had in NOLA. When you add the availability of hand crafted beers from many sources you have a total success. The rest of the menu looks very inviting with poor boys and other cajun classics but I just can't bring myself to order anything but the gumbo - it's that good! The service is friendly and prices are moderate. Try it!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ftrpltret
Tucson, AZ
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is a little hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall... but oh, so surprising.

Their food is very good. I love the hush puppies, pimpanadas and gumbo. Have not had a bad meal yet.

It's small, so also quiet without loud, annoying music. Good service, too. Nice beer and wine selection.

I would recommend giving it a try.

• Visited January 2013
Mill Creek WA
“Good Cajun and beers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Gumbo, hush puppies and po boys. Yum. Plus a good list of craft beers. Burger and dogs for the non-adventerous. Food was good, and service pleasant.

Visited December 2012
Tucson
“Cozy Pub with Unique Fare and Flare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We took my parents and adult son to The Parish for a pre-Christmas dinner after reading multiple reviews and their menu online. The establishment did not disappoint; the positive reviews were accurate. Food is flavorful, spicy (some hot, some not), but nothing bland, unique, well prepared and good quality. We ordered a plethora of items and appetizers; all were tasty. My son ordered the War Pig and his only comment was that it was very smoky (not bad, just really smoked), so if you're not prepared for that, it can be overwhelming after a few bites. We each ordered different cocktails. All were superb, creative, and yummy. The ambience and decor are like a cozy pub. Given we had elderly parents with us, the only downside was that the building is concrete block and mainly hardscape interior - no rugs or wall hangings, so it did get very loud; it was very difficult for my parents to hear/enjoy conversation even though our table was pretty small. We were seated just off the bar, and perhaps had we been more toward the back wall, it would have been better. In fairness, we did ask them to turn down the music a bit and they did. They turned it back up later, but by then we were about done with dinner, so it was fine.

We found the prices to be more than reasonable; the service was prompt and friendly, our orders correct, and the food hot, well prepared, and as described. The bread pudding really is amazing. While you will be full from your dinner selections, I highly recommend ording one to share so you can at least have a taste.

• Visited December 2012