“We want them to succeed”

The Tasteful Kitchen
Ranked #43 of 1,995 Restaurants in Tucson
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We're an independently-owned & operated restaurant & caterer. We have a passion for cooking & sharing outstanding gourmet vegetarian cuisine made with love.
Tucson
“We want them to succeed”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

What a gem of a spot tucked off the beaten path - the only establishment open in the evening on this stretch of Stone. But it's close to downtown, and the theatres and hopefully will find a following as what they do is something special. Artfully prepared and presented vegetarian offerings that should please every palate. I think best not to ask too many questions and just enjoy it - no questions because you might think that you don't like black bean and brown rice croquettes - you will.

A party of four enjoyed the smooth pumpkin soup, the spring rolls, the aforementioned croquettes, a potato stack and a ratatouille special. All were deemed perfect, and beautifully presented. There's a very peaceful aura about this place that contributes to the experience. Wonderful herbal teas (no wine, etc). Vibrant, local art on the walls and warm attentive service. Talk it up ... even if it means I'll have trouble getting a reservation.

• Visited November 2013

Ensenada, Mexico
“Vegetarian & Quiet”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I'm an infrequent visitor to Tucson, but every time I go the choices for food and the quality of food increases. Vegetarian food is always a top choice, and The Tasteful Kitchen reminded me why. The menu is well thought, the choices are good, but not so many you can't decide. There is a very reasonably priced fixed menu, but you can do better by choosing from the a la carte menu.

The food is cooked, or raw, with utmost care, and the service is pleasant and infallible. The most salient characteristic is that this is a really quiet place to eat. Meals are better enjoyed in a relaxed and quiet atmosphere, and this is one of the most peaceful restaurants I've been too in the last ten years.

The combination of great vegetarian/vegan food, the reasonable prices, and the quiet atmosphere make The Tasteful Kitchen a most try, and most return restaurant in Tucson.

Visited October 2013
Vail, Arizona
“not a Vegetarian but would become one if these gals were cooking for me!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Let me start by stating I am not vegetarian, but I could easily become one if all vegetarian food tasted like this!

This place is so quaint and nicely decorated, visually - a truly lovely little restaurant. It is owned by two sisters. We came for a friends birthday, there were 11 of us - and they had a lovely big round table set up for us off the little main dining room. The friend whose birthday we were celebrating is on such a restrictive diet that it was refreshing to know that she has a place to eat where she can order at least half of what is on the menu. (she loves this place, and has attended a cooking class they offer).

Many of us are far from vegetarian, but I think all of us were impressed with the food. My hubby is a steak and potatoes guy and even he commented on how flavorful the food was. Foodwise: We started with the green chile quesadilla's which were DELICIOUS, I couldn't believe how yummy they were with squash and chile. My husband ordered the full Thai (or Asian - can't remember the actual name of it) peanut salad which was huge and tasted pretty darn good. I had their special which was roasted vegetables and Quinoa and it was outstanding. My girlfriend ordered their vegetable ratatouille since she and I decided to nibble off of each other's plates and that was actually my favorite, VERY robust in flavor. Other's at our table ordered the microbiotic plate, the potato stack (called something else on the menu) and spaghetti two ways.

For dessert - those of us none vegan's were happy to see two "classic" desserts listed on the menu - the one that jumped out was the Carrot Cake. One of the sisters who was serving us told us that it was her Mom's recipe. It was not disappointing and SOOOO yummy. The best part about it was she doesn't put raisin's in it which I appreciate since I feel raisin's have no place in a carrot cake.

Overall great experience, ambiance, service - I would come back, even as a non vegetarian.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Betsy M
Sigret T, Owner at The Tasteful Kitchen, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you once again for being such a big advocate of our business and for supporting us on TripAdvisor and Yelp! We want to make our food as accessible as possible — to vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike — so it's wonderful you enjoyed everything you tasted.

We got into this business to prepare food that is both healthy and delicious, so reviews like this are music to our ears. We hope to see you and your hubby back here very soon!

Be well,
Tucson, Arizona
“The Best Vegetarian Food I have ever eaten!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I just finished 3 weeks of a new diet: No gluten, meat, dairy. After languishing in my kitchen all this time, someone recommended we go to The Tasteful Kitchen before heading to U of A Centennial Hall for a show. Show started at 8. Our reso's at 6pm. & people in our party. We all are talkers so, we really should have arrived at 5:30. The restaurant is sort of hidden just south of University Blvd with the parking on the gravel lot in back. Very warm and inviting, colorful-artsy dining rm.
We started with the carrot soup, croquettes & sushi rolls. The soup was flavorful and everyone loved the croquettes made with rice and beans. The sushi rolls are divine. How they get all that flavor in a vegie roll is amazing!
We all ordered different main dishes and couldn't wait to taste everyone's meal because the dinners were distinctly different and each delicious. We brought our own beer and wine and enjoyed their herbal ice tea.
We didn't have enough time to try the desserts, though I believe they have a gluten free one.
Kudos to the owners of this lovely hidden gem in Tucson. Their hours are limited and I would absolutely make reservations.

• Visited April 2013
Sigret T, Owner at The Tasteful Kitchen, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Tamar,
Thank you so much for this thoughtful review. We're honored that you think we're a hidden gem. We work hard to take the "weird" stigma away from raw/vegan food and make it as accessible as possible. Great call on our sushi rolls— they sure are packed with flavor! We appreciate you being such a big advocate of our unique little restaurant. You will absolutely need to come back and try one of our desserts— our Mango Lime Cheesecake is waiting for you!

Cheers,
Tucson
“Great discovery!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Found this vegetarian/vegan/raw restaurant by accident in my search for vegan/raw restaurants in Tucson and am glad I did. The food is fabulous and service is great. The small restaurant is run by 2 sisters and has 9 tables in the main room plus 2 additional tables for larger parties in an adjacent room. Be sure to have reservations. Open Wed.-Sun. for dinner.
We started our meal with a raw carrot & avocado soup which was outstanding. This was followed up by the house salad made of spinach, jicama, celery, red cabbage, orange slices & a cumin dressing. YUM! We then split 2 entrees, the Roasted Vegetable Ratatouille with Polenta and the evening special of eggplant medallions with roasted spaghetti squash, cashew alfredo, marinara sauce & walnut basil pesto. Both were excellent. Get there early on weekends for the specials which they make in limited quantities. I'm definitely going back to try other dishes.

• Visited February 2013
Fran,
We know it's been quite some time since you wrote this, but we just wanted to thank you for this wonderful review. We're so glad you stumbled upon us! The Roasted Vegetable Ratatouille is one of our personal favorites, so we're glad you got to try it. When you come back, be sure to try one (or two!) of our desserts— our carrot cake is calling your name! Hope to see you back here soon.

Cheers,