“Bushi on Speedway in Tucson-Delicious variety of Japanese fare and sushi too!”

Bushi Traditional Japanese and Asian Cuisine
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We can't wait to return as the food was absolutely wonderful! This restaurant is one of the “Tucson Originals.” We try to support our locally owned places as much as possible, and we were SO glad we chose to try Bushi for the first time this evening. We ordered two appetizers-the Agedashi Tofu-talk about melt in your mouth. It came with a delectable sauce so good and silky-and a seafood dish-the Spicy Garlic stuffed Shrimp appetizer-WOW! We could have easily made a meal out of just these items, but hey, why stop there? For our dinner entrée’s Mike got a chicken dish (Chicken Katsu-moist, yummy chicken done just so) and I got a beef dish-Bulgogi which came sizzling to the table in its own cast-iron presentation skillet. This dish was savory to the max. We figured that with the variety we chose, it would enable us to get a good overview of the offerings at Bushi. Try the organic green tea. It was a perfect complement to the meal. Usually I put sugar in tea, but not this time. It didn’t need it. After our server Sarah cleared the table, she then brought two cute little, steaming egg-shaped cups of complimentary coffee from Savaya Coffee Market. They’re here in town out on Broadway. They’ve partnered with Bushi to turn folks on to their organic coffee offerings. My husband loved his, and he doesn’t even like coffee! It too was delicious. Sarah told us that this particular coffee from Ethiopia was specifically chosen to compliment the sushi. Well, we didn’t have sushi (this time) but it was great, especially with just a touch of sugar. Everything was cooked to perfection. The ambience of the place was warm and welcoming -decorated simply, but tastefully with lots of polished wood. The restaurant proper was impeccably clean. Even the restrooms were spotless. Our server, Sarah was great. She was busy, but took time to patiently answer all our questions, had a winning smile and a friendly personality. It was clear that she LIKED what she was doing. As I looked around the room that night, it seemed the other patrons were enjoying themselves as well. As our leftovers were being packed up for us, and before we left, we were already thinking about what dishes to try next time...and next time we'll bring friends! Kudos to Bushi!

Reviewed October 7, 2011

My wife and I very much enjoyed a Friday evening dinner at Kampai. She loved the volcano roll and the rock and roll roll. I had the beef rolled appetizer and avocado roll. Everything was quite good. We'll be back.

1  Thank csyetman
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I have eaten at Kampai many times over the years, had my husband's retirement party was catered by Kampai, have had birthdays there and taken guests to eat the superb cuisine. The quality of the food is nothing less than superb and is consistently delcious. The most favored things for me are the seaweed salad which is amazing, soft shell crab appetizer, Bubba Roll, Caterpillar Roll, Asparagus Roll, or a lunch box--what a deal- my most favored with shrimp tempura and spicy crab roll (it includes a delightful salad with a delicious ginger dressing, 1/2 of succulent and sweet orange and a bowl of rice) for $9.95. The service is impeccable, the owners Dave and Jenn are the best and are 2 of the hardest workest and nicest people in the restaurant business. Kampai is a Tucson treasure in my opinion.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

Terrible service and overpriced sushi. We were kicked out at 8:30pm and had to scarf down our bland tasting sushi in the dark after they turned out the lights. Not worth the experience go to Mr. An's or Ra both are very close and very worthy of a dining experience

1  Thank FoodCritical45
Reviewed February 24, 2010

My husband and I were not sure what to expect from a sushi restaurant in Tucson, but were happily surprised at how fresh the fish was and how inexpensive the items on the menu were. The service was friendly and quick, but not rushed. My only complaint was a screaming child at the table behind us, and that certainly wasn't the fault of the restaurant. I would go there again on another trip to Tucson.