“Good for lunch.”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

There are a lot of positives for Wilko. I love the menu. There is a selection to please almost everyone. I think they have the best tomato soup in town and they pair it with a wonderful grilled cheese. And, the wine list is reasonable. We have also had dinner, and it seems that whatever draws me into this area for dinner draws everyone else as well, so it has always been really busy for dinner. We also have had good service and not so good service, but I think it tends to be better at lunch. Great atmosphere too. The food and atmosphere keep me coming back. But, I also recommend you have a parking plan, especially if you're not familiar with this area, because it can be a challenge.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have eaten at this place three times. For Saturday breakfast only. The quality of the food has been off a bit each time, but has subsided. The quality of the service has as well. We have experienced under- and over-cooked pork sausage, English muffins that arrived slightly warm and fully untoasted and w/o butter until we asked for it. A pineapple shrubb (a specialty drink) was mostly vinegar and later the waiter agreed because she had tasted a sample herself. Eggs have been cooked variously, over- and under-done. A breakfast steak, clearly overdone (well done plus vs. medium), was nonetheless, tasty. Perhaps most egregiously, the staff insists that the baguette French toast is soaked either "overnight" or "for 24 hours" (really?!), yet it arrives with about 1 cm of batter penetration. The potatoes are great, the coffee is excellent (though refills are hard to obtain), and the bacon is fine. One of our party found the salmon dish inedible. The place has great promise, a nice decor, a superb location, an exciting menu, but with a scant breakfast crowd, the huge staff (10, we counted), and the indifferent service, we shan't be returning and I suspect their Saturday morning experiment may soon end.

2  Thank HearthstoneCat
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Ive been to Wilko for a couple of lunches and dinner and it's always good. Staff upbeat and friendly and the atmosphere is really welcoming. Delicious burgers and really good wood fired pizzas. My colleague and I were both super tired and hungry and a couple of pizzas with some red wine just hit the spot. Cheese platters are also a hit. Relaxed, friendly and great food.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This restaurant was so delicious... I'm sad it's not in the same town I live in! Server was very knowledgeable about wines and food, relaxed atmosphere made for a great, almost European feel. Would dine there again for sure!

1  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Given the chain affiliation of many restaurants on University Avenue, or the typical crowd of undergrads who congregate on the sidewalk outside the pizza and burger places to smoke, Wilko is truly a breath of fresh air. Both food and service are superior to anything else in the campus area. On our most recent visit, they were out of one of the beers on their list, but the waiter/bartender was knowledgeable enough to recommend an alternative. Cocktails are always creative, though I can be annoyed by the champagne saucer type glasses that some drinks are served in. Give me a substantial glass that I can wrap my hand around. Food quality and presentation are both superior. On my most recent visit, I selected the Asian Salad with grilled salmon for lunch and was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Take a seat at the window for great people watching or at the bar and get to know the bartender and learn a secret or two about their cocktails. Servers are attentive and accommodating. All in all, one our go to places in the downtown/campus area and a great local business.

1  Thank 46TimS46