“better than the reviews would have you believe” 4 of 5 stars

TownePlace Suites Tucson
Ranked #55 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“better than the reviews would have you believe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

So I read the reviews and was a bit worried about what I would find, but the hotel was great. Large rooms with a couch and a bed, AND a kitchen with refrigerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher. The bed was comfortable, the hotel was quiet, the pool is smaller than it looks in their photo, but perfectly serviceable. I suppose it is not near downtown, but Tucson is so small, who cares? You're always minutes from anything. Staff was very friendly, helpful. Breakfast was good for an American hotel, but I've gotten spoiled staying at hotels in France.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Served my purpose for my two night stay but nothing to write home about. It looks like it's a pretty old property that's been renovated but still looks a bit tired and worn. The rooms are on the small side and they HAVE to do something about the old-style God awful fluorescent lighting that adorns the rooms and corridors. It gives everything a creepy, hospital/sanitarium feel. I couldn't stop wondering if any women had been stabbed to death in the shower at this property by a man dressed like his mother.
The most cheerful part of the property is the tiny pool area.

Let's see, what else?
The free wi-fi suffered from a low signal and was painfully slow, so not much help if you're here on business.

While I normally DETEST the complimentary breakfast (unless it's the buffet breakfast at The Kea Lani in Maui) this place lowered the bar for complimentary breakfast: juice, coffee, selection of cereals, yogurt and waffles (and maybe some bread). Not even the "yellow powder plus hot water equals scrambled eggs" offering. Pretty poor.

This place is not for me. If all you want is a roof over your head and a clean bed, you'll be fine. If you want anything more though, you're probably best to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Eric R
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed here a lot. The rooms are outdated and need to be caught up with the current level of hotels of this type. They finally update the TV'S nice The wireless is weak at it best. The staff doesn't seem to pay attention to the customer schedule. I would come back from work at 2 to find they just started cleaning the room. And it takes a while for the nasty air freshener to disapate.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank SkyFactory
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel was centrally located to what I wanted to do in Tucson. The mall was just down the street and there were many restaurants nearby. The front desk has a handy map of the area sights and were very helpful. We were able to check in early. It looked like they just had a remodel and carpet and furnishings looked very new and up to date. The room was well equiped. We were 2 adults and a child and we had plenty of space. There was a full kitchen including a dishwasher and full fridge. Perfect for a longer stay. The bed was great and the sofa bed was also comfortable. There were many nice pillows and adequate linens including towels. The breakfast had almost everything. Alas, I miss the cream cheese danish you used to always see at the buffet breakfast everywhere. I guess this is a move to make it more healthy. I suppose everyone is doing it. But there were still muffins, 6 kinds of cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, make-your-own waffle, yogurt, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, stale bagels - my only problem here.
There was a nice pool that we also enjoyed on our stay.

Room Tip: There seemed to be a lot of noise from the corridor, next time I would pick a top floor room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Towne Place Suites was ok. I was there for 8 days for the Gem Show show. The breakfast was adequete. The room was nicely set up with a queen bed , living room area, and kitchen with full oven. The carpet was dirty as it made my white socks dirty. I wanted to use the laundry facilities one day and one of the dryers or washers was always broken. Finally I got an open washer and when I needed a dryer I could not get one. I finally had to remove the other people's clothes and put them on the counter so I could use a dryer. The hotel management should be monitoring this. People were leaving their clothes in there for hours after they were dry. The elevator was pretty fast and the hallways looked clean. I could hear kids running up and down the hallways in the early morning. The bed was comfortable enough but somewhat hard. I had to really check the dishes before I used them as there was food on a fork and plate that I had to clean before using. I guess the maidstaff does not do a great job cleaning the dishes. The air conditioner did not always work when I wanted it to. I had to turn it off for a while for it to "recover" before it would work again, if it would work at all. Very temperamental!The one girl at the front desk that was short with long dark hair and of mexican descent seemed like she hated her job. Never once did she crack a smile or greet me. When I asked a question, she seemed put out and very short. Never did she offer any further information. There is a shelf above the toilet in the bathrooms and I placed some toiletries up there. Apparently the maid knocked everything off one day and I found things on the floor behind the toilet and one of my expensive makeup brushes must have fallen in the wastebasket and she threw it away without checking to see what may have fallen in there. That was dissapointing! The printer in the lobby was " out of order" the whole time I was there. I had pre-arranged for a late checkout of 1:00pm being that I am a Marriott reward member and they were calling my room asking me when I was leaving at 12:45. As soon as I took some things to the car, they stopped usage of my room key so I could not get back into the room to ckeck it. This was before I had even checked out of the hotel and prior to 1:00! I was not very happy with my stay here. For a Marriott I expected better.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank cookielaroo
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Towne Suites in north Tucson was very clean and the staff very friendly. I was only there one night for a baseball tournament with my son and everything was perfect. I would surely go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Below are my ratings for this hotel on a scale of 1-5: Avoid the "breakfast"

Hotel Location 4