“Good bargain”

Ranked #80 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
South Central Orange County, CA
“Good bargain”
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in a regular room (the front desk offered an upgrade to a suite for only another $15 per night, but we declined). The standard room was fine for my wife, our two pre-teen daughters, and me.

During our stay we spent little time at the hotel, so we didn't make use of the pool, restaurant, business center, or exercise room. As others have noted, the bathroom was quite small but adequate. We booked the room through a discount site, so we did not know the beds were full size instead of larger queen beds. Apart from that small disappointment, we enjoyed our stay. The room came with a small refrigerator, 32" flat screen TV, small table with two chairs, and coffee maker. The Starbucks coffee was delicious. Housekeeping was kind enough to stuff my younger daughter's stuffed animals into bed after making the beds (the girls thought that it was a nice touch). The desk clerk was friendly and helpful. We agree that we would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
lilytucson, Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed the personal touches of our housekeeping staff and felt the warm Sheraton welcome that we strive to provide to all our guests! We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Bellevue, Ohio
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Spent several days in Tucson, shopping and seeing the sights before heading to the Grand Canyon. This hotel came to me via Groupon, via Priceline. I bought an $80 worth of hotel $ on Priceline for $40 (via Tucson Groupon). We had been in Tucson for two days at the Holiday Inn Express at the Tucson Mall, which was OK, when I took my priceline $ and added $20 (to make it $100, but cost to me was $60) and picked an area and a minimum of 3.5 stars on Priceline and this is the hotel they booked for us and it was a GEM! Driving in to the parking lot off Grant the hotel is tucked away and is like a mini resort. From the minute we walked in to the lobby it was like an oasis. We were greeted by a very friendly, handsome male desk clerk and asked where we would like our room, I suggested a high floor with a view. We got a 4th floor room that seemed to be a mini-suite with living room separate from the bedroom and a fridge (which would not stay closed - only complaint) and a mini balcony with a great view of the mountains. We spent the evening enjoying the jacuzzi and the pool, which are set in an amazing courtyard which also serves as the hotel restaurant's outside dining area. There was a small gathering of people dressed to the nines having cocktails at the restaurant before going somewhere else and I can't imagine a sexier, more romantic ambience, with the fire pits all around, the low lighting flickering off the pool and jacuzzi (which were at first empty of people except us - later we were joined by a couple and then another couple with a baby, all very friendly.). We were there on a Saturday night I think and the restaurant, Fire and Spice, was mildly busy with a few couples dining later and I wish we had eaten there as the menu looked amazing (a little steep for my budget but...) Definitely the place for a romantic meal or stay. The hotel was quiet and the staff friendly and helpful and the room very clean and comfortable. The only complaint I have about the room is that I turned the a/c off and we woke up at 3 a.m. sweating! It was 74 degrees and the beds had these big puffy comforters. I turned the a/c on 65 and we went back to sleep. The next morning there was a little craft/artist fair in the lobby and my little girl bought herself a woven purse. After we left we realized we left our bathing suits there so we went back and thought there was going to be a hassle but they just gave us a room key and we went up and got them. Overall, I wish I stayed here all three nights we were in Tucson, and I will definitely stay here again. Great value on Priceline and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
lilytucson, Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Thank you for your great review of our property! I'm glad to hear you were able to make use of our Groupon special for a great value. It sounds like you really got a chance to explore the property and had a great experience, which we love to hear. We have taken special care to create just the ambiance you've described, and I'm glad to hear that it is apparent to our guests. We often have other special deals on our website as well as Groupon, and we hope that you'll be able to visit us again soon!
st louis
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Looking at the pictures and descriptions and reviews this hotel looks nice. For us, it was not. When we checked in, I mentioned we were Starwood Club members and would that get us a room with a better view. The nice lady at the desk asked what kind of view we wanted. I said a nice mountain view would be lovely. She said no problem. Wow, I thought, that was easy. We had brought our luggage into the lobby as there does not seem to be a bell help, which was fine. The clerk told us our room was around back on the third floor. So....we piled the luggage back in the car, drove around to the back of the hotel, parked, took our luggage up to the third floor and Voila! A view of the parking lot! Yes, you could see the mountains beyond the trees, but this view had to be the worst in the building. The mountains were mainly covered up by trees and unsightly buildings. The room was nothing special, just a room. The bathroom was old with cracked tiles and moldy cauling and VERY small. There was no living room. This was not a suite as all of the rooms on the website say they are. The carpeting in the hallways and room was stained and dirty. We have about 12 hotel stays a year. Many in Courtyard or Residence Inn type hotels, honestly this was our worst experiance ever. Coming back to the room after dinner one night there were three men just standing around on the parking lot, kind of peeking in cars. It was dark. A sign said that the hotel is not responsible for the vehicles on the lot. I insisted we pull around front and park there and walk back to our room (even though it was quite cold that evening). We stopped at the desk and reported this to the clerk. I will say that by the time we got up to the room a security guard was talking to the men. About 5 minutes later a Tucson police car/officer arrived and talked to the men some more. After about 15 minutes the men got in their vehicle and left. You could just tell they didn't belong there. They were dressed like hippies and looked scruffy/dirty.

My breakfast the next morning was $22 including tax and tip. A little pricey I thought for an omelet and bacon and coffee. Food was OK, nothing special.

I don't know what to say except I don't get the discrepency. Our room was the first or second room on the right as you get off the elevator, I think it was 329........but not sure of the number. I recommend you avoid this room at all cost. The hotel did not seem busy. I rarely saw other guests. If this hotel was recently renovated, as it says on the website, this room most definately could not have been.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. While it is true that most of our rooms are suites, we do also have some standard rooms which should be indicated on our booking page. I am glad to hear, however, that you reported your concern with the men who looked out of place and our security was prompt in responding. We make every effort to make sure that our guests are safe and secure while they are with us. If you have a chance to visit us again in the future, I would definitely recommend our Breakfast Package. You can get your breakfast included in your room rate for two people for just $10 to save some money. I hope you are able to stay with us again so we have another chance to show you the true value of our property. Safe travels!

Travelers are raving about these Tucson hotels

tucson
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I literally melted into the bed. This hotel is both clean and comfortable. The staff members go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. I have been to this hotel many times and before the new GM took over, it was falling apart. I love what they have done to turn it around. The Diablo wings at Fire and Spice are to die for. The pool is 24 hours...Which in my travel experience, is unheard of. Just an all around GREAT stay....Did I mention how amazing the bed was...I didn't want to wake up...The front desk was even kind enough to extend our stay for an hour, so we could sleep in...I travel extensively and this is definitely a comfortable stay... KUDOS SHERATON!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank misledandliberated
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience at our property. We pride ourselves on our clean and comfortable rooms, and I'm glad to hear you enjoy the changes that were made by our new GM and management company, and the comfortable Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds. We look forward to having you back again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 13, 2010

This hotel with it's staff from management to hospitality was an amazing team that guaranteed a wonderful stay. A birthday came during our stay and the hotel manager saw to it that a special request of a favorite pie was homemade and delivered to the surprise of its' recipient! The staff went overboard to make sure that we had everything we needed! Congratulations to those on board at the Hotel - what a great place!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank devinediane33
lilytucson, Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
Thank you for your review. I'm so glad you got to experience our great staff! We pride ourselves in delivering those personal touches to our guests whenever we're able, and are so glad you enjoyed your birthday celebration. We hope your travels will bring you back to us in the future and look forward to serving you again!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 12, 2010

we had a blast and actually booked an extra night once there. great stay at a decent value thanks to AAA discount. the beds were super comfy and the pool is heated which makes for a nice, winter morning swim. good coffee in the room and lobby. actually the lobby doubles as a cafe w/ internet and business center. we were there for leisure but it would have been a great place to stay for business. with the exception of the person i spoke to on the phone (restaurant / room service) trying to order some food, staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I'm glad you had a great experience at our hotel and enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds and heated pool. We're so glad we were able to make your stay pleasurable and hope we'll have the chance to do so again in the near future!
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed December 7, 2010

No problem at all. Great check-in and everyone from front desk to maids were helpful and friendly. Ate on site and waiter did a good job also...buffet reasonable priced and good selections. Close to heliport only drawback...but certainly worth the stay as people make life worth the journey...and these people are GREAT!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff and that we were able to make this part of your journey in life great! I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again in the future. Safe travels!