“Sheraton didn't let us down”

Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites
Ranked #75 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Staff interpersonal skills with guests were A1. Room, no faults. Drinks at Fire and Spice Patio excellent and there was a food tasting which was fun. Food in the restaurant was uninspiring. Internet available in lobby.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was probably a nice hotel about 10 years ago, but it is terribly dated and needs a complete overhaul. Our room was large and clean, but so dated. The bath is tiny with old fixtures that had rusty handles. The hallways were shabby and the floor on floor three had huge cracks in it. The elevator was dirty and shabby. Our room came with breakfast and it was so bad. Only the oatmeal was good. Too bad, the location is good. I felt like I was staying in a slum.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have stayed at this property 7 or 8 times and like it quite a bit. But this past stay was dissapointing for one reason. I took the Plat benefit of breakfast instead of points and it was a fiasco. Check in person only gave me one comp breakfast (I was travelling with my wife). After my protests she reluctantly gave me another, I told her the benefit was for the entire stay, she insisted it was just for one noght only and wouldn't budge. So I had to call *wood corporate services to get that corrected.
Second day we wanted to order off the menu not have the buffet breakfast, well the caused major concern amongst the serving staff. First we were told we couldn't, then when I told her we in fact could (as the front desk had informed us), she then got the manager. Well says the manager we will do it this one time (no you wont its your company policy).
Now a different girl is serving us and she recognizes the certificate we present and says no problem.
So we finish breakfast, I leave to go back to the room, my wife leaves the cert. + tip, and as she is leaving the restaurant the manager comes charging after her demanding a room number so she can charge the meal. Instead of arguing, she just gives the room #. My wife was embarrassed at being called out in front of a whole restaurant full of people. Now I have to sort out this mess at check out. A very poor example of how to treat your best customers. One meeting on company policy towards Plat recognition of the breakfast amenity would sort this out. This is my second review of this property, my first one was glowing as I really like it here.
But this left a very bad taste in my mouth.
So y advice is if you are Plat. make sure you sort out your benefits at check in as they are very inconsistent with applying them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margesmister
Reviewed February 28, 2013

There was little to dislike about the room I aquired through a Priceline bid on this property. Clean, comfortable and well located for where we needed to go.

I had read one review that the room the reviewer got was like a, "dark dungeon." I believe, at this hotel, you really do get what you pay for. There are rooms that surround the pool that have a patio type door that face out to the courtyard area. With a cheaper room you get one in the back of the hotel. Because of the soffit at the entry of the room, it may seem small as the soffit makes the entry height 7 feet. As you come into the room and past the entry, the ceiling rises.

We slept well in the bed, the shower was great. everything was clean and we weren't bothered by outside noise. For what we paid that was great.

If I were a first time visitor to Tucson, I'd carefully look at a map before deciding on a hotel. It's not a great city to get around in. First you need a car, then you must drive that car across town using side streets. The freeways are only located on the outskirts.

The best advice I can offer is to pick your Tucson location carefully.

Room Tip: Pay more and get a room that faces the courtyard - patio area.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great location for those needing to be in this area of Tucson. I have stayed here many times through the years but deferred maintainence is a big problem. The common areas have been updated but I spend more time in my room than the lobby. Parking area needs repaving and walkways need power washing along with the removal of the many cigarette butts that are everywhere. The beds have always been good but not this last stay. Bed was broken down on edges and middle. Carpet was bloody in front of sink and stained in the living area of suite. I have stopped eating breakfast in the Fire Grill because the service is so slow and surly plus the hot items are barely warm from the buffet. Ordering a fresh egg plate from the kitchen is no better. IHOP is next door and their eggs always come out hot and with a smile. I want to like this hotel but they are making it hard on me. I only want two things from a hotel: cleanliness and a good bed but they are falling short.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

First time in Tuscon and I always try to stay either at a Residence Inn or a Starwood hotel. With the nearby Residence booked and the Westin out in the hills (not close to where I would be working), I booked the Sheraton and couldn't have been more happier. Staff was very friendly and room was clean and tidy (what I look for the most when traveling). Yes, you can tell the hotel is a little older on the outside, but the rooms and lobby did not seem that way. The bar and grill was also a nice perk. Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the back end of the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here thinking that the Sheraton name and the star rating would match the hotel. Wrong!!! The lobby and pool area are nice but other than that, it is a 2 star hotel at most. The first room we were given felt like a dark dungeon. We were moved to another room in the same building and it was slightly better but still not Sheraton quality. The carpets are filthy, the windows filthy, the bathroom is tiny and old. There were no ice machines that worked. The pool is ok but once again was not kept clean. Leaves and bugs were always in the pool. The hot tub had a green slime at the bottom and on the steps. We used starwood points and they were nonrefundable or we would have changed hotels. I will give them credit for a comfortable bed but doubles and not queens.....really!?!? The TV had very limited channels, no disney for kids. We did have the smores at the firepit from the restaurant. $7.00 for 6 marshmallows, 6 graham cracker squares and about half a Hershey bar. The kids enjoyed this but definitely not worth the costs. The location seems to be the drawing point, next to Tucson Medical Center. This may be why they don't worry about updating, very transient guests who have no other options. We have always been impressed with Sheraton but not now. They need to completely remodel this hotel and not just have a fancy lobby.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family