“Funky place to stay”

Aloft Tucson University
Ranked #60 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Checked into this funky (in a good way) hotel at an all purpose reception desk which also served as the order point for meals. The hotel is central to the University of Arizona and appeared to support a convoy of parents seeing their children off to their University tour. The bar is also central to "reception" and was always busy. The bar also served food which we partook of at Happy Hours. Prices were very reasonable. There was a small pool and spa on a deck at the back of the hotel. Parking was free and accessible being at street level and underground.

The hotel itself is situated to the center of the city. Although we didn't walk, we could have but it was hot. There were lots of fast food joints a short walk away as well as several restaurants, pharmacy gas station etc. Everything we needed for our short stay.

The rooms were accessed using a smart card which worked every time I used it which is unusual for me. We had a two window view of the main street (Speedway Boulevard) but traffic noise was surprisingly low from our upper level room. The room was very functional and suggested a Japanese influence with sliding doors, glass doors for the bathroom and shower, a chair at a desk built into the wall with a computer hookup and a very comfortable King bed.

We were on a quick two day trip and this hotel was perfect for our needs. We were gone early, came back for Happy Hour and went to sleep. Perfect for us!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mikey2349
Philip F, General Manager at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Mikey 2349

I just wanted to thank you for your recent review of the Aloft Tucson University....I liked your line funky, but in a good way!! Thanks again for taking the time. Your feedback is very much appreciated....

There are newer reviews for Aloft Tucson University

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Just wanted to show my appreciation for the attentive, helpful staff at this hotel. Even after messing them around with extending my stay and even checking back in/out after going out of town one weekend - nothing was any trouble for the guys and girls at front desk.

Special thanks to Ashlee (hope Ive spelled that correctly) who was particularly helpful.

Cheers guys!

1  Thank Nick L
Philip F, General Manager at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Good afternoon Nick L

Thank you for your recent posting on the Aloft Tucson University. I'm glad we could assist you as your plans changed. It's our goal to always be as flexible and accomodating as we can be to ensure that your stay is an outstanding one. I'll definitely pass on the positive feedback to Ashley.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We traveled recently on a vacation and made our first trip to Tucson. The hotel is right next to the University of Arizona. The location is very convenient and close to Interstate 10 and main streets in town. It has a young look both outside and inside. The room we stayed was clean and spacious.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

JlBoston

I just wanted to thank you for your recent review of the Aloft Tucson University. Your feedback is very much appreciated and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel here in Tucson in the near future...Thanks again!!

Best,

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Our initial impression of the Aloft Hotel was positive. It features a very modern look and a fun atmosphere. The lobby and rooms do not have that business hotel look. It looked like an upscale party scene.

Unfortunately, our experience was less positive. The rooms are clean but not comfortable. They show visible signs of abuse from one too many parties.

The beds were too hard and we woke up in pain. The shower heads spray a little water at a wide angle. It was hard to rinse off. There are just the bare minimum of towels, cups, and other essentials in the rooms. The noise from the street has loud all night.

Our room cost $160/night. At the price we paid for the room, we expected a lot better. We will not return.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cjn60
Philip F, General Manager at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Good Afternoon Cjn60

On behalf of the Aloft and the staff I wanted to apologize that your stay was not an outstanding one. I appreciate you taking the time to provide me your feedback.
The hotel was 100% renovated just a year ago, so all the beds and bedding are new. I'm surprised to hear that you had an uncomfortable time sleeping, but I think sometimes mattresses can be a very personal preference. In regards to room amenities, we have someone available at all times to bring you additional towels, cups, soap or whatever you need. I apologize if we did not meet your expectation in this area.
I encourage you to call me directly if you would like to discuss your stay. I would definitely like to hear your feedback.

520-908-6800

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Very chic, fresh, and simple. Close to everything - U of A campus, restaurants, and public transportation. The beds are the most comfortable I have ever had in a hotel - 6 pillows, a great view, very cool room set-up. Very affordable. Offers conveniences of a lobby convenience shop, bar, restaurant, computers, and billiards. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view so you won't end up with a parking lot view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Philip F, General Manager at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

LisaTwoRivers2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your evaluation. I'm glad you had such a great experience on your recent stay. Hopefully, we will be welcoming you back to the Aloft University Tucson in the near future. Thank you also, for mentioning our Green program. It is a significant part of the Aloft brand we believe a very positive step in the right direction.

Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Came this direction to watch a performance at the Rialto Theatre. For the price, this place really exceeds expectations. Rooms are super clean and spacious with a technological touch. Love the bar area and patio section as well. Fun vibe and the value is unbeatable.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Philip F, General Manager at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Preston S

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post an evaluation regarding your recent stay at the Aloft University Tucson. I'm sure you had a wonderful time at the Rialto theatre. It is a great attraction to visit here in Tucson. Also, thank you for recognizing our efforts in providing the finest in comfort and technology. Aloft is definitely the tech savvy brand. Thanks again. I hope to see you back in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was in town looking for a venue for a fashion show and let me say...wow!!! I was very impressed! The Property is Gorgeous! Ian Wilson took care of me and made sure my stay was exceptional. He was very quick and to the point with booking the venue and i must say he gave some of the best service till this day. I am now a Starwood member because of the amount of travel I do in the area. Besides the service the W XYZ Bar is awesome, and runs a daily happy hour for $3 beers and $6 well mixed drinks which my partner and I took advantage of. All in all, this property is perfect. It’s right next to University of Arizona and in the heart of Tucson. Beds are comfy, rooms are modern and it’s definitely a place I will be returning to! The Director of Sales, Ian is great and made bookings for my Entertainment company simple. I Highly recommend this Hotel and look forward to hosting my event there in September.

Hello Sam G

Thank you for taking the time to write such a terrific review. I agree Ian Wilson does an outstanding job as the Director of Sales here at the Aloft University Tucson. I'm glad you had such a positive experience on your recent stay and also, happy that you've chosen our hotel for your event in September. We look forward to welcoming you back and ensuring your event is executed in a first class manner.

Best,