“Almost a 4”

Aloft Tucson University
Ranked #59 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Fun new budget hotel, well priced, great location. Think IKEA functional rooms with trendy hipster gathering areas downstairs, both inside and out. We enjoyed the open pool table, fun bar, and Saturday night DJ! The rooms are nice if spartan, but no drawers to be had anywhere, or even a towel rack near the sink! Good mattresses but unfortunately this hotel has fallen for the new 'water conservation shower head' rage, cryptically called something exotic (rain jungle? not sure) instead. The water pressure was so low we could not completely rinse out shampoo, no matter how long we tried. Ugh. Unfortunately the poor shower outweighs all the pluses of this place.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jebgirl
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our modern chic hotel and found our events to be entertaining. At Aloft Tucson we strive to provide guests with a unique, quality experience worth remembering. We apologize for the water pressure issue and currently have our maintenance team looking into this. We sincerely hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This property is my new downtown favorite.. great service, rates were cheap, and a quick cab ride to everything in town! We were able to book on a 24 hour notice for a friend's birthday party that was late notice. Loved that the Buffalo Exchange across the street was loaded with some great shirts for a little thrift shopping. Bar prices were good per hotel pricing, and Chris (if I remember) at the front desk was excellent when we checked in. Check out was quick and easy. I will for sure stay there next time I'm in Tucson!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is the second Aloft I've stayed in and I'm a big fan of the chain so far. The cleanliness, modernity, and functionality of the rooms is far above the price, when compared to traditional hotels at this price point that are often dirty and dated. The Tucson Aloft is even better than the Phoenix one because the rooms have larger entrances/bathrooms and seem newer/cleaner. I had a room on the 5th floor with a view of the beautiful Catalina mountains. Another good thing about the Tucson Aloft is that you can walk into a beautiful residential neighborhood right behind the hotel. The pool area is spacious with lounge chairs and a nice long patio (that unfortunately turns into a nightclubby thing late at night, so I couldn't just relax under the stars). All of this was only 3000 Starwood points, which is great value.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are delighted to hear you had an enjoyable experience during your recent stay with us. Our team is dedicated to providing each of our guests with memorable stays and it is great to hear you enjoyed our convenient location, hotel amenities and beautiful Arizona landscape. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Tucson.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Well, I am not a huge fan of Aloft hotles. They are all very similar - some better managed than others.

As all Aloft I have been to, this one is a glorified budget hotel: limited services and amenities, cheaply built building. My room was near the elevator and was bothered all night by hallway traffic - poor soundproofing. The hotel is right on a very busy boulevard. My room was facing the street side - this made it very noisy.

This said, this property seemed well managed, nice staff, very clean and well maintained.

It has free underground parking, good free Internet connection, a small outside pool in the above ground parking lot, the usual Aloft bar and food pantry.

I was surprised that the parking elevator from the underground could get you straight to the room floors without any keycard control. I question the security of this.

My credit card was charged with abnormal fees, that got corrected after I contacted the hotel's accounting dept.

All services are within a short drive distance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank crew347
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel’s amenities and friendly staff. The safety and comfort of our guests is our main priority and we can assure you we have taken all the necessary measures to ensure the security of our hotel is well maintained. Thank you again for your review and take care.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Newly remodeled hotel, was Sheraton prior, this hotel is beautiful. From the minute you walk in the open lobby, sitting and bar areas are very bright and uplifting. The check in was very quick, staff friendly and helpful.

The room was super clean and spacious, bed very comfortable. The layout of the room was well thought out, they use every inch of space. Rooms are not large but the design makes it very comfortable.

The only negative would be the lack of closet/drawers for storage of clothing. If you are only staying a few days this place is perfect, longer stay could be a challenge on where to put things. Overall and excellent value for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view, higher floor. Even though it faces busy street the rooms are very quiet and t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed two nights Memorial day weekend 2013. This is the second converted Aloft I have stayed in versus the usual new construction Aloft Hotels. The room layout was quite nice--wall of glass down room entry.

Bathroom had toilet and shower separated from sink--like that. Bathroom was not cramped like some of the new constructions Aloft Hotels I have stayed in. The very friendly Michael at the front desk graciously calmed my fears about noise (there is a university nearby.) I was hoping it was quiet season since school was out. It was quiet enough. Had a room on the 4th floor facing the street--nice view of distant mountains.

Beds were comfortable, patio was huge and nicely empty between 6AM and 8AM, pool was big enough with cold water--good for hot desert environment. Decor was Aloft standard with colorful lobby with more soothing shades in rooms. Coffee machine in lobby was my very good friend as usual. Wish I could have taken it home with me.

Pluses: underground parking--kept car cool, I like that.
Central location was close to restaurants and sites that were within a 15 minute drive in any direction.
All the staff, which were all guys the weekend I was there, were pleasant and professional. This will become my go-to hotel for travel to Tucson.

Room Tip: Ask the staff if there is a possibly noisy function going on during your stay and request a room awa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you so much for the feedback. We are delighted to hear we met your expectations and that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Aloft Tucson University prides itself on providing guests with an exceptional experience and we look forward to serving you during your future travel to Tucson.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed there overnight on a trip to see family on 05/26 to 05/27/13. The room was wonderful, clean, and quiet. The black out blinds were awesome so I definitely had a good nights sleep. I had no real complaints other than the ketchup at the breakfast was watered down. I would/will stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family