“First Time Golfer - This Was Fun!”

Fred Enke Golf Course
Ranked #34 of 76 Outdoor Activities in Tucson
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in southeast Tucson, Fred Enke offers a challenging, scenic desert golf experience for an affordable price. Enjoy the native plant life while taking aim at large, undulating greens on this semi-arid, limited turf design. Fred Enke also offers a driving range and extensive practice facility.
Tucson, Arizona
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“First Time Golfer - This Was Fun!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

First off, let me preface my review by informing anyone reading this that I have only ever been golfing once, at this course. Therefore, I don't have anything to compare it to, thus my review may be completely off. Proceed at your own discretion.

My husband took me to try my hand at playing golf this week, since his entire family is full of very talented folks who enjoy the sport often. I figured I should get into the spirit of things so that I could at least understand what his family was talking about when I was in their company. Par 4? Par 5? Birdie? Irons? WOOD??? What the....?

So, like most beginners (I imagine), my hubby started me off on the range with a $7 bucket of 70 balls (Is that politically correct??) and his Dad's clubs. So, he told me about being inside a barrel.. about keeping my elbows in.. about turning my hands a certain way, about my foot movements, about where my head should be facing, about how to pretend I'm a pendulum, how not to hack at the ball like I'm chopping logs for a fire, etc etc.

With his expert advice, I took my very first swing ever and completely missed the ball. I tried again, hit the dirt and knocked a big chunk of grass a few feet in front of me. Awesome! I was already getting the hang of it..

So after about 20 swipes, only ever managing to hit the balls a few yards and getting some air twice, I developed a blister on my delicate thumb and "had to" quit playing. Remorseful, my hubby apologized for not getting me a glove beforehand since most people use them to avoid these issues.

We went into the empty pro shop (snack bar, tables to sit at, various clothing and golf gear for sale) and I found a lovely glove that fit over my newly taped blister. Michael Jackson would have been so jealous of me. Seriously - I looked like a professional. The lady who helped us and rung us up was very friendly and encouraging and advised me that I may want to pop some ibuprofen afterwards since I'd be using muscles I don't often (Never ever ever) use.

The course was empty that day (around 9:00a.m.), so my husband decided we couldn't pass up the opportunity to play the actual course since we wouldn't have to wait for other people, but mostly since his golf-challenged wife wouldn't hold anyone else up. We opted for 9 holes and a cart. It was more expensive than what I'd imagined, but I've never played before so I didn't know what to expect.

In my fancy new glove, sitting next to my sweetie-pie, I felt pretty fantastic. Like a real boy... er, real golfer. We zoomed away at close to warp speed to the first hole. The grass was short and a bit dry and scruffy, so the ball didn't roll as easily as it should, according to hubby. The putting greens also were not the best around, as they needed a bit of upkeep and care.

None of the dry grasses or dusty fairways bothered me, though. I was having fun just being out in the sun, turning a nice golden brown before being removed from the oven.

Many of the holes involved hitting the ball over sand, or over a road, or over hills, etc. It took forever for me to get through those areas and I spent a lot of time fishing for my ball out in the boonies, as friendly squirrels and birds danced and sang around me making a beautiful dress for the ball later that evening.

We finished our 9 holes after about 1.5 hours and were both ready to head home. We returned the golf cart and headed away, reflecting on the adventure as we drove.
--------------------------------------------------­-------------------------

Wildlife we encountered throughout the course: Ground squirrels, coyote, birds, gnats, lizards, rhinos. We saw several huge pack rat nests hidden here and there.

Blister Report: My thumb is healing well and no longer stings when i rub soap on it.

Greenish/White Alien Skin Report: After spending 2 hours in the sun, my arms are now about a shade darker than they were previously.

Soreness Report: The only soreness I've experienced was a minor bit on the front of my lower arms.

Fitting in With the Talented Golfers in My Husbands Family Report: Not quite there yet..

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Erika G

Leavenworth, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Can't beat the Sonoran Desert golf experience.”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great course, wonderful staff. We had heard about Fred Enke GC. Not exactly an inspiring name, unless you knew Fred. We didn't. We had also heard it was on the "first to be closed of the Tucson city courses". Strike Two.

We gave the course a shot after biking at Saguara National Park East and loved the whole thing. Every hole is challenging, not a home hugging any fairway, and the greens were rolling fast and true. Bring your A Game as there are desert carries and thoughtful approaches.

Well done, Tucson City Golf.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Leavenworthfolks
England, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A Tricky Course”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Although this course is not in the best condition, it really is a true test of golf. Every hole is different and makes for an interesting round.

Visited October 2012
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A Big Disappointment - They should Pay Us to Play Here!!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I golfed Fred Enke today after first playing this course 25 years ago and have always wanted to come and give it another try. Why, we don't know!!!! The carts are old and ricketty, I had to search for one without torn seats, paths are nothing but gravel and on the 2nd hole they said there were rough paths ahead - what an understatement. Fairways are dormant, browned with no grass to speak of, greens are lumpy with many areas of dead grass so you have no idea where your ball might end up. Also, their idea of pin placements is to have all yellow flags with indicators but they are all wrong. What a shame... this is a municipal golf course so is supported by taxpayers. We have played many municipal courses in other cities in the United States and they have all been grreat - not this one.CLose this course and safe the taxpayers a burden. Stay away from Fred Enke and save your money!!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Sonya206
Marana, Arizona
“Desert & Challenging”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Scheduled to be closed, this course this course has some surprises. Good elevation, desert and narrow fairways. Direction is more important than distance. Fun if you like a little challenge.

Visited March 2012