“Beyond Words or Imagination.”
Review of Sabino Canyon

Sabino Canyon
Ranked #4 of 320 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Catalina Mountains and part of the Coronado National Forest, this beautiful canyon offers outdoor recreation including hiking, swimming, biking and picnicking. For an overview of the area, take the narrated shuttle bus tour.
Reviewed October 2, 2017

If this is on your "to do" list, do yourself a favor and do not put it off any longer. It is mindboggling to see how close to the City of Tucson such raw and natural beauty can be experienced. Whether you take the tram or hike you are assured of a wonderful day. We took the tram to the top and then hiked down until we were tired, then got back on the tram for another round trip. You just need to remember not to take the tram all the way out of the canyon or you will have to pay again to get back on. Any of the stops within the canyon do not cost you anything. You can ride all day if you like as long as you don't go out to the "turn around" at the park entrance. There is a $7 or $8 (not sure which) fee to enter the park or you can buy a year's pass for $20.00.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,293)
All reviews
in 50 reviews
"sonoran desert"
in 116 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2017

You do have to pay to park , but it is a great area for scenery and hikes at different levels of skill. There is a paved road or a lot of dirt trails of varying skill levels with lots of support if you need help. My senior card from national parks gets me in free. Nice to be higher that Tucson , so it's a lot cooler.

Reviewed September 30, 2017

We hiked for nearly 3 hours! The canyon and area were magnificent! It was a perfect day for a long hike, though I didn't think we were going to hike that long. We just kept walking and walking. I could have had better shoes. There were blisters on both heels of my feet when I was done.

The roadrunners were fun to see... my first actual sighting of a roadrunner ever was here in Sabino Canyon! Very Cool!

We were told to keep an eye open for mountain lions... whether that be fact or fiction, I kept my eyes peeled for those mountain cats. I didn't want to be a big kitty's "tender vittles" by any means!

All in all, it was a great walk through the Canyon! Do it, but wear comfortable shoes, watch out for dangerous animals, bring a walking stick, and bring water, a hat, and your camera.

Reviewed September 28, 2017

It seems redundant to add yet another review of Sabino Canyon, but if you've never gone in on a bicycle you're missing a great experience. Even in summer you can ride in the early AM--and you have to, because it closes to bicyclists when it opens to everyone else at 9 AM. You'll get a work out uphill and then mainly coast back, enjoying the scenery. I've hiked here countless times but saw my first gila monster from the bike!