WINNER WONDERLAND

“Good! Nice Variety!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Downtown Kitchen & Cocktails

Downtown Kitchen & Cocktails
Reserve with OpenTable
Downtown Kitchen & Cocktails is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,935 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: BROADWAY + 6TH AVE
Transit: If you are arriving on the public bus system you can stop at the Rondstat Center downtown and walk 1 1/2 blocks south on 6th Ave. to 135 S. 6th ave.
Tucson, Arizona
“Good! Nice Variety!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Simple atmosphere. Clean looking and clean feel. Nice simple menu which also offers a 3 course option. Service was good. The Sea Crab soup was unbelievably good. The flank steak was fabulous and the cobbler desert was terrible. It was all dough and very tough. Really needed a steak knife to get through it. As a trio the price was reasonable. To order everything al a cart would be expensive. The variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are nice. Some refreshing options. The coffee was fresh and good.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Hit or miss with food but over the top with service and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

This place is pricey. They also cater to people with more refined tastes and vocabulary. The menu looks like a luxury cruise ship menu and its almost impossible to not have a question about something.

Ive been for business and with my grandparents before a play downtown. The drinks are good I will tell you that. Both myself and my grandparents got fairly tipsy and at the business meeting I had to refrain from drinking what I would at a normal place as you feel these drinks. Very good.

The food... well I dont like chicken livers but if you do these would probably be worth ordering. The main entrees I have tried have been fairly decent but for the price I definitely would have expected more. One person in our party had to have the meatloaf taken back as it was way over done. You expect perfection at this cost and the food quality is not up to par. They did immediately fix it and comped an item (I think it was the coffee we got with dessert) to make up for it so there is that. The desserts are pretty damn amazing though, not been disappointed in the least by those. Get one!

The service is wow, just wow. For people like me who are not used to it, in fact never been to a place with service like this in all of Tucson, it can be a bit over the top. I would drink 3 sips of water and it would be refilled. Any unused utensils or cups are immediately taken away and they recheck for this throughout the meal. If you get up to go to the bathroom, you will find your napkin refolded when you return. They bow and are the most polite servers I have ever met. My grandma appeared a bit annoyed at the frequency of refilling water glasses but honestly for the price and lack luster quality of food, they need service like this to make up for it. And who can complain about being waited on like that? It has been so nice when I have been there. They work hard for their tips and definitely earn it.

The overall feel and decor of this place is amazing. It used to be something else I forgot the name of that I had eaten at before and they definitely gave it a make over. Its so trendy and fancy and fun. You feel good being inside this place thats for sure.

Honestly Im not sure I would ever choose this place if left up to me. Both times left me reeling from the cost and not 100% satisfied with the food. However the service has always blown me away. I think if you have the right taste for strange food (look up the menu before going!!!) and can afford it and like above and beyond service, this place would probably be heaven.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
San Francisco, CA
“Great People, Disappointing Food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

The scene is lively and noisy, the decor trendy and the staff cheerful and friendly. But the food is a big dud. Positives - the peanuts were tasty and the bread was fresh. Negatives - the mango salad was an under-flavored tangle of julienne vegetables, the Caesar salad was dry dark green leaves with powdered Parmesan, the garlic fries were sitting in a pool of oil, the prawns and the calamari were both flavorless. Overall amateurish dishes, but a nice bunch of people.

guadalajara
“Not as good as I remember it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had dinner at Jano's downtown, I had the brazilian seafood stew, and a papaya salad. It was not as good as on previous occassions, I remember better food and service.

Visited May 2014
burbank, ca
“Need a 2nd visit before I can say for sure”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

This was my first time to Downtown Kitchen, I used to eat at JBar and Janos. I was not expecting an Asian menu, so that through me. Honestly, there's not much upscale Asian cuisine in Tucson. That said, there were a lot of interesting offerings on menus, appetizers, entrees, desserts and cocktails. I think the wine list was a bit overpriced, or at least there should have been some more affordable options on it, so we didn't order wine.

The food we had was interesting, not fantastic. It warrants a second visit to try something else on the menu.

The service was very good, that is always a plus, because if the service is bad I won't be back.

The decor is fine, I saw another reviewer saying it should be more southwest. Hello, don't we have enough of that? And it's not a Southwest menu. It was comfortable, well lit, the noise level was a bit high, and I couldn't hear people across the table from me, so with that in mind I might dine on the patio next time. I wouldn't recommend it for large groups due to noise level.

One minor warning, the floor slopes oddly at points (near bar, near restrooms) and you don't see it coming, if you are a woman in heels you have been warned.

• Visited June 2014