“Great menu and atmosphere”

Downtown Kitchen & Cocktails
Reserve with OpenTable
Downtown Kitchen & Cocktails is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 2,069 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: BROADWAY + 6TH AVE
Transit: If you are arriving on the public bus system you can stop at the Rondstat Center downtown and walk 1 1/2 blocks south on 6th Ave. to 135 S. 6th ave.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

In August not so many travelers it seemed. Here there was a nice crowd and the menu was very different and interesting and the food very good. Overall I very much liked the restaurant.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The food was tasteless and the drinks were overpriced. I was overcharged as was someone else at another table. I don't recommend Downtown Kitchen.

2  Thank Downtown_Tucson_Rose
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Had a few days in Tucson and came upon this fabulous restaurant downtown. Walked in and it has an open airy look and feeling. It was happy hour so bellied up to the bar for one of their signature cocktails, a lemontini . Delish! Quite an eclectic menu to chose from. All fresh and unique. Enjoyed the Rice gnocchi with duck which was awesome but my husband had the Pappardelle with the Prosciutto. Wow, what a taste treat sensation. Don't overlook this gem of a place. Oh and did I mention the wait staff. They made you feel so welcomed and like you were an old friend coming to dinner. Cudos to the management for such an amazing establishment. I can't wait to return to Tucson to enjoy their seasonal menu.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went here for lunch a couple months ago, with a couple friends, and was pleasantly surprised by the incredible choices on the lunch menu.

I've been here a few times for happy hour drinks and appetizers, but never had a full meal.

Details of the lunch dishes in my photo: L-R: Burger w/mushrooms, foie gras, caramelized onions, bacon, manchego cheese; Laotian chicken + pounded green papaya salad w/mango, lime, basil, mint, cilantro, green beans, carrots, tomatoes, Serrano chili's, nam pla, peanuts; Ginger shrimp tempura eggplant sandwich, wasabi aioli, purple Japanese yam, unagi sauce, pickled ginger, flying fish caviar, w/sesame slaw.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Downtown Kitchen has a summer specialty menu that varies by month. On this visit the theme was Asian with an emphasis on South Korea. My sister-in-law, who lives in Maine, graced us with a gift certificate which we happily used to sample Janos's menu. The ambience is kind of industrial chic and is very appropriate for this downtown restaurant. Seating is comfortable and there was a nice crowd for a Tuesday night. We passed on the intriguing-sounding specialty cocktails because both of us are simple traditionalists. My wife likes good manhattans up and I prefer a martini. Both cocktails were perfectly made and priced as one would expect from a city restaurant.

My wife's salad, "Lily's chicken and pounded papaya" or something close to that was flavorful and plentiful. I had the Pork belly and shrimp pancake which was loaded with the best of Asian flavors and really delicious. The portion was about as large as you would want in a first course. The grilled salmon ordered by my wife was cooked rare to medium rare, as she requested and was served on a bed of good veggies which included cabbage, corn, potatoes and other tasty things which I could not readily identify. I had the seared duck breast, which is my standard test of a kitchen's ability as well as being my favorite meat. The duck was cooked perfectly and was accompanied by chunks of fried eggplant in a hoisin-based sauce. I could have eaten a triple portion of the eggplant. The inside was creamy and had a custard-like texture, while the slightly crusty exterior carried all the flavor of the Asian sauce. Entree prices were reasonable for the quality and the choices of wines by the glass provided broad options at standard city prices.
Janos keeps on top of the operation and visited our table to make sure we were satisfied with our dinners. We offered him a shorter version of these comments and said that we would return for the next international special offering in July.

Been to Downtown Kitchen & Cocktails? Share your experiences!