“The girls got away!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
fairfield county
“The girls got away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed here April 1, 2012 with two girlfriends. We shared the Sierra Madre suite and were thrilled with the hugely spacious, brightly decorated room. It was clean and interesting. Great comfy beds and a nice shower. Plenty of places to plug in hair dryers by a mirror too! There was a small refrigerator, but no coffee making ability. We are always up too early for coffee in the lobby and that was disappointing, but the full breakfast at Coyote Cafe, included in our rate, was fantastic. I would return to the cafe for any meal if I was in the area. The grounds are really lovely and such a pleasure to wander outdoors in a peaceful setting. We took advantage of a private session in the observatory and learned more from our PHD Astronomer guide than could be retained. Other services are nearby, and the hiking trails in Saguaro National Park West are easily accessed. Tremendous location if you don't want in-town location.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rooms, as the entire setting is quiet and opens o...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank e j

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay if you enjoy getting a little out of the city but like to be close to things to do. The lodge is located in what seems to be a forest of saguaro cacti! The accomodations were clean and comfortable. The lodge is a little bit off the road so it is peaceful and quiet. Included is either a breakfast or lunch located on the property. There is an observatory on the premises and you can reserve time with an experienced and knowledgeable astronomer. Our guide was a recent Phd graduate who tailored the two hour session to our level - interested star gazers with no formal education in astronomy. Also located near the property are several attractions such as the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Old Tucson western movie set and the Saguaro National Park. Of course, there are many other attractions around Tucson that were not far away and we drove 30 minutes to the Titan missle silo for a fascinating tour. We would highly recommend a stay at this lodge!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Room was very comfortable. Great shower. Enjoyed walking around the grounds. They supply organic bath products. Quiet at night.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Vegghead
Louisville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

This was a truly unique experience. This is a five room B&B that is only a few years old. As such, the rooms are new, spacious and clean. The big attraction; however, is the star gazing program. The B&B also owns "Spencer's Observatory" and operates a nightly astronomy program (for beginners). My wife and I spent 3 hours with Robby, who showed us the wonders of the night sky through three high powered telescopes. If you have an extra night in Tucson, I definitely recommend staying here and signing up for the star gazing program. Breakfast was great, too. Get the corned beef hash dish.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

If you want to visit the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, Old Tucson or the Saguaro West NP, this is the place to stay. In less then 10 minutes you can reach them from the Cat Mountain Lodge B&B.

We were greeted warmly and showed our room, which was very good. The innkeeper Angel was very friendly and gave us advice. So sad that we had just 1 night there.

The breakfast was very good in the Coyote Pause Cafe.
We highly recommend the Cat Mountain Lodge B&B.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Woodenshoe
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Arizona to visit with our daughter. We stayed in the guest house which was the perfect location for us all to be together. The house has a very secluded, private feeling to it and the views were gorgeous. Although we didn't cook much, it was handy to have a full kitchen. Laundry facilities were a plus- you go through clothes in a hurry when the temperatures are over 100 degrees. It was easy to feel at home in such a comfortable cozy house. We couldn't ask for a better place to stay as we prefer the mountain views to the city lights.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Cat Mountain Lodge on South Kinney Road for my week-long vacation to Tucson this past October. It is located on the west side of the Tucson Mountains, just a few miles outside of Tucson and with very easy access of the airport. If you are traveling to Tucson primarily for city sights, this may not be the best place to stay for you, since it is approximately half an hour from downtown and on the other side of the mountain ridge. However, if your destinations include Saguaro National Park West, the Sonoran Desert Museum, Tucson Mountain Park, Old Tucson Studios, Kitt Observatory, or any of the many other west side attractions, this is a great home base to start from.
The four guestroom stucco Hacienda-style Lodge is unassumingly gorgeous to those with an eye for this style of architecture. The decorative iron gate both greets and protects lodgers: the innkeeper keeps it locked when she is away. Small surprises like the relief painting of hummingbirds and mice on a vine around the gate continually greet you as you walk the immediate grounds. The warm and welcoming courtyard is in bloom year-round. I had the privilege of trying to eat a beautiful fruit off one of the 5-foot tall cactus growing inside. The rooms surround the courtyard, with a covered walkway around the inside.
Each room has a double glass French door: mine looked out onto a tiered fountain which I enjoyed listening to in the evening. Every room has a private bathroom with either a luxuriously tiled shower or tub, and each room has its own hot water heater. A small closet with several hangers also houses a mini-fridge. I think I would have enjoyed access to a microwave, either in my room or in the common room. The four rooms all have locking connecting doors with each other, so parents could easily bring children and be able to keep an eye on them. Keep in mind, however, that boisterous or tearful younger children may easily disturb other guests in such a cozy inn.
The Mission room where I stayed is very spacious and meticulously clean, with lovely Indian rugs over a stained and sealed concrete floor. A high ceiling and clean white walls add to the feeling of space, though a curtain or scarf at the window would soften it. The Mission room is decorated in a theme of the Spanish Catholic Missions, which primarily means an abundance of metal crosses hung on the walls. Other rooms are decorated with other themes, including the Ranch Room and the Fiesta Room. The largest room, with two queen beds, is Spencer’s Suite, named after the owner’s late husband.
Breakfast is provided through a voucher to the Coyote Pause Café on the property, just steps away. I enjoyed choosing breakfast each day from a full menu, and yet being able to go in my PJs and slippers (watch out for cactus!). While not fancy, the food is hearty and relatively healthy. Fairly quickly, I got to know the friendly staff there and was treated like a “regular”.
This review would not be complete without paying tribute to the lodge’s on-site manager and innkeeper, Angel Jackson-Slye. Angel is one-of-a-kind and exemplifies true hospitality. She left a welcome basket in my room upon arrival, and invited me to the common room for popcorn or cheese and crackers each evening. Whenever I was leaving for the day or coming back, she was right there to see if I needed anything. She kept my room spotless the entire time. When I had to spend one day in bed with the flu, she offered me tea, cocoa, soup, or whatever I wanted, and also knew when to leave me alone. In my time there, I felt like I gained a new friend. I’m sure the owner knows what a gem she has in Angel, and I hope that anyone who stays there will take some time to get to know her like I did.
In summary, I highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone looking for a more quiet, out-of-the way location with the comforts of home and yet an authentic Southwestern setting. The rates are reasonable and the service is beyond compare.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo