“Consistently good”

Taco Giro
Ranked #304 of 1,990 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
intl falls, mn
“Consistently good”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is what we consider to be authentic Mexican food! Chilquiles, Pozole, Menudo, real Mexican seafood cocktails, machaca, and all is served in an authentic Mexican manner. My chilaquiles was around $6, was a huge portion, and included eggs, rice and beans, and was garnished nicely. The "Molcajates" are huge and appear to be wonderful. A little noisy when it is full of families and children. The machaca was very good as well. We really enjoy this friendly restaurant!

Visited February 2013

Tucson, Arizona
“They make a mistake on the order and want you to take the dish back to give you the correct dish that you ordered.”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was very upset and dissapointed, I recommended this restaurant to my friends. We placed a group order for work, they messed up on the order. When we called them to let them know that they had messed up the order, instead of them trying to rectify they wanted us to take the dish back to get the correct plate....such poor customer service, no paying customer should be inconvenienced for a mistake on their part.

• Visited June 2013
illinois
“New location on Grande Ave. lives up to reputation....”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Very good food, very good service. Chile verde is excellent. A bit grungy but nothing out of the norm for Mexican at this price point. Neighborhood is a bit rough, just lock your car doors. No problems sitting outside - so long as it's not windy. Definitely on the go-to list for Mexican in Tucson.

• Visited April 2013
Casa Grande, Arizona
“great food,great service”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went to taco giro for mother's day, what a pleasant surprise, greeted as we walked in door, seated right away,i ordered casa asada torta,all of our food was brought to us in nice timely manner, everyone was very pleased with their food,great tasting, they have a salsa bar,little noisy inside, a little dark also, but food and service were very good.good selection of bottle beer, mixed drinks to choose from.

• Visited May 2013
Tucson
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I like to find an unpretentious restaurant where I can find a corner stool at the bar. I usually eat alone with a book in one hand and a fork in the other. (That is good, because the place only supplies me with a fork wrapped in a napkin.) The corner stool in Taco Giro provides a vantage point, as well, to watch the varied diners at the tables. Always, the place is jumping. Often I see a table of celebrants… maybe a birthday party or what I guess is a retirement lunch for staff at the nearby Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Often I hear laughter coming from the tables, but it is not noisy, just friendlier than most restaurants.
The waitresses are spectacularly attentive, and switch back and forth from English to Spanish as needed. They appear to be enjoying what they are doing, chatting among themselves as they rush about, sometimes grabbing a bite behind the counter: all carefully groomed with a preference for bright lipstick and unnaturally natural eye lashes.
There is a TV screen or two with some sports event flickering, but happily, no TV sound. Otherwise the walls are covered with decorated sombreros, the kind found at border towns stuffed on the heads of visiting tourists posed with a burro. Walking into the restaurant, there is a white board offering today’s specials, usually with some sort of seafood such as fish tacos at prices so low you wonder if maybe the place is cutting corners. (They are not.) Another surprise is the extensive menu, breakfast, lunch and dinner. I like shrimp and continue to work my way through those offerings but I keep eyeing their “nuevos platios,” particularly their half of pineapple stuffed with seafood and vegetables for 14.95, but that is obviously a dinner offering. I once ordered at lunch a Mojarra frita with rice and beans, and the 9 buck meal arrived, not only with chips and my choice of salsa and corn tortillas, but the tilapia not the expected fillet, but an entire fish spread out on the platter. You can browse the menu online at www.tacogiro.com.
I mentioned that I sit at the bar, but this is not a beer joint. It serves beer and wine and various cocktails, but it is mostly an ice tea crowd. In fact, I am usually the only person at the bar at lunch time and I, as is my habit, drink coffee. Which, by the way, is delicious.
One caution is their parking lot, split between the front and back. The few slots in front are always taken, thus I thread my Honda to the rear parking lot via a narrow one-way passageway that half the time reveals, in back, no open slots. Once, when I did find a slot, the exit pathway on the other side was blocked by a diner’s car, forcing me to bump my car over the concrete curb to the next door parking lot to escape. Today, at the turn to the back lot, the space was half blocked by a table and a woman was out there moving the table and motioning to her driver friend to slowly advance. But it is all worth the hassle.

• Visited April 2013

Been to Taco Giro? Share your experiences!