“Great Hidden Gem”

Museum of the Horse Soldier
Ranked #25 of 309 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Incorporated in 2013, Museum of the Horse Soldier is one of a few museums dedicated to preserving the history of the U.S. Military’s mounted services. Visitors to The Museum can explore the history of U.S. horse soldiers and their roles in times of peace and conflict during the 18th – 21st centuries. The Museum of the Horse Soldier offers a unique opportunity to discover and explore military history through informative and engaging exhibits, featuring many rare and one-of-a-kind artifacts.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed February 9, 2014

What a fascinating place to visit! For only $3, you get a very interesting personal tour of this really special museum. Whether your interest is in horses, history, or military stuff, there is bound to be something here that will make you glad you stopped in. Don't miss this hidden gem!

2  Thank Barbara M
"personal tour"
in 10 reviews
"military uniforms"
in 4 reviews
"interested in military history"
"his knowledge"
"history lesson"
"admission fee"
"western town"

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Just a super little museum showing the history of the US Calvary. The staff were very knowledgeable of the history. Don't pass up this gem of a museum.

1  Thank Walt M
Reviewed January 26, 2014

While visiting Trail Dust Town, we stumbled upon this museum by accident. We had the best time, it was very interesting. Surprising how big the exhibit actually was and it was very reasonable, only about 5$ for adults and 3$ for kids. It's worth checking out.

1  Thank smcrawford38
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Yatahay...

Not being familiar with the schedule, I also had to "loiter" in Tucson a day, before I finally caught the museum open.
If I wasn't such a "hard corps horse soldier" (30+ years in the McClellan saddle!), I would have continued with my journey back to SoCal (Fontana).
But, I didn't. And, I'm glad.
The museum, though small, was much richer than I expected. Having visited many military museums in my travels, I have often found the displayed items dusty, abused & uncared for. That is NOT the situation, with this fine museum. The items, are professionally displayed. Further, some real rare historical gems, are to be seen i.e. Mounted China Marines, a pristine Indian Scout full dress uniform & the M1844 Ringgold saddle.
Museum guide "Megan"(?), was both knowledgeable & tolerant, with my verbal "contributions", during her tour with other visitors. And Museum Director Rae WHITLEY, was also informed & patient with me. Good people.
The museum is still young (one year), so there was few store items available, to purchase.
However, the Museum of the Horse Soldier was worth the wait. And, I shall look forward to my return.

Thank you!
Respectfully,
Cisco LOPEZ
Late 1Sgt., Troop E, 7th U.S. Cavalry Mem.Regt.

1  Thank Cisco L
See more reviews
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I visited the museum today and am so glad I did. As a student and life long equestrian enthusiast I found the museum to be informative and enlightening. One of the best parts was the hands on and knowledgeable staff. They were both professional and personable with an answer for every question. The level of personal attention given to each customer is something rarely experienced in any business let alone museum. Upon entering the director was able to accommodate my personalized tour while authenticating a Civil War pistol for another visitor, he even let me in on the authentication process! I was surprised to see another visitor being disrespectful, but it was handled swiftly and professionally by the staff. FYI photos are allowed but permission must be granted by the museum (I think this is standard for museums).
Don't miss out on this one of a kind learning experience!!!!!

1  Thank Sara R

Been to Museum of the Horse Soldier? Share your experiences!