“Under the radar, well worth the trip”

Museum of the Horse Soldier
Ranked #23 of 301 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Incorporated in 2013, Museum of the Horse Soldier is one of a few museums dedicated to preserving the history of the U.S. Military’s mounted services. Visitors to The Museum can explore the history of U.S. horse soldiers and their roles in times of peace and conflict during the 18th – 21st centuries. The Museum of the Horse Soldier offers a unique opportunity to discover and explore military history through informative and engaging exhibits, featuring many rare and one-of-a-kind artifacts.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and we're planning a 2 day get a way to Tucson. I just happen to see this on tripadvisor. It definitely lived up to the ratings. We are both military veterans, and I love history, so this was on the to-do list. The museum is small, but the contents are amazing. The staff were extremely knowledgable and friendly. The care taken and attention to detail shows a lot of pride taken to preserve, research and display military artifacts of our American history. The amount of displays and information packed in this museum will impress anyone into military or American history.

1  Thank CJR1872
There are newer reviews for Museum of the Horse Soldier

Reviewed November 7, 2013

After putting off our first visit to the Museum several times, we finally made the visit. I can honestly say this is a place for all ages. So much history, artifacts, and if you have anyone who loves horses, this is a place to go. I'm proud to say I learned some history and it's so facinating to try and put yourself back in that era and what they must have gone thru. The director of the Museum took the time to fill my husband and I in on some recent little known history about a flag found at the Battle of Gettysburg. Being from Pa, that was my highlight.

1  Thank Precuscrgo
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went to this museum after finding it on Tripadvisor & were not disappointed.
We went in the middle of the day on a Thursday & were lucky enough to have the museum to ourselves so we got a tour from the director Rae. He was AMAZING! He gave us so much detailed information about everything, we learned a lot.
There are so many wonderful pieces in this museum and it is all beautifully displayed.
My son who is 11 had a great time and Rae was kind enough to tell him about so many different things even bringing pieces out to show him and talk about them.
This museum is beautiful by itself & we would have had a great time exploring & taking pictures but Rae made it above and beyond that with all his knowledge & I can't thank him enough! My son even got a hat & hasn't taken it off since!

2  Thank Kelly T
Reviewed October 12, 2013

You may well have an avid history buff in your family, (or be one yourself) who can spot an inauthentic buckle on a uniform from the 1890's that will make you shake your head in disapproval. You may be a stickler for accuracy when it comes to matching period weaponry with period head coverings for horse soldiers. If so, this museum will send your spirits soaring, as its owners have meticulously brought to display detailed figures and artifacts that cover the development of the cavalry soldier (and horse) through American history. If such details leave you yawning, this is still a good museum to visit, thanks to the superior story telling abilities of the enthusiastic couple who walk you through the exhibits. Its not a large collection, but it is very much a thoughtful and carefully assembled collection, wherein each object holds a story, and the story is known and can be told. Moving through the museum, ask questions of what catches your eye or what seems odd. The staff relishes the opportunity to share their knowledge and energy and you will leave both better informed as well as entertained. (Be sure to get the story of the Gettysburg flag that came from a Union battery of cannon having a very bad day at the battle in July of 1863. Excellent restaurants are literally across the street from the museum in an area known as, if I recall correctly, "Trail Dust Town" which will offer opportunities for shopping, eating and kid friendly entertainment. So this museum is located in an appealing and accessible one-stop-shop for all things for the wild west tourist. Worthy of a visit, how long a visit will depend on you.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a nice little museum next to several good eating places & an old fashioned "town" with lots to see & do. Anyone who likes military history will like it, as well as those particularly interested in the "horse soldier". Several artifacts, including an authentic Civil War battlefield flag with blood stains visible. Get one of the staff to share the history of that! Infact, the staff is quite knowledgeable and willing to take the time to educate you as much as you want. Ask about the display items donated by a Rock Star! As I said, the place isn't large, so it doesn't take a lot of time. Check to be sure it is open...we were there in the evening and had no trouble, but I see other comments where folks came midday & doors were locked. We enjoyed it.