“Great little place!”

Good for: Kids, Families with children
Tucson, Arizona
“Great little place!”
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Had a Groupon type of thing , and was glad we tried it. The food was delicious, but the "medium" guacamole was very small. Asked how big the small was and she stated "very" small, but we saw the " large" and it wasn't much more, so stick to the medium. But overall, a very tasty hidden place in a strip mall in Continental ranch... Will go again.

Tucson
“A good strip mall cafe”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

A friend and I visited La Olla for dinner because we had a coupon. My friend ordered a combination plate that looked really good and her empty plate confirmed the taste. I ordered a bowl of chicken tortilla soup to leave room for the peach cobbler ala mode for dessert. The soup was fantastic and I had to take most of the cobbler home for later and it tasted just as good the next day, My friend is on a gluten free/dairy free diet and they went out of their way to accommodate her needs. If in the area again I would definitely go back.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank gorxheim
Tucson AZ
“Good place to celebrate Cinco De Mayo”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My wife and I went here for Cinco De Mayo based on the good reviews and the fact that we had not been there after 4 years in Tucson. The reason we had not been there is that it is quite far away from our home in southeast Tucson. We drove by the place in the dark 3 times before finally finding it (GPS did not help). The place looks closed from the road even when it is packed. It is not a big place, but it was hopping when we arrived at 8 PM on a Saturday. The prices are around $12 for an entree. On Cinco De Mayo they the ceiling was covered with balloons that would occasionally hitch a ride on the wait staff. The restaurant was a single midsize dining room. The lights were bright, colors vibrant and it was on the loud side. There was also a special menu for the day. I got a fab five sampler off this menu. I give the food 4 out of 5 stars. It was a good mix of tasty, authentic, creative and out of the ordinary. The relleno and calabacitas are definately recommended. The most impressive part of the food was perhaps the huge colorful plates. The Olla margarita was not impressive. It had enough tequila, but could have had some more lime. Perhaps I'm spoiled because I usually order the Cadillac. There are a couple restaurants of equal quality closer, so I probably won't be back very often.

• Visited May 2012
Kansas
“Great Mexican and reasonable”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We dined at La Olla while in town for a visit and found a gem. We ordered the carnitas; less chunky and more shredded than what I'm accustomed to, but that actually made it more suitable for eating with tortillas. The sides were calabacitas (mixed vegetable dish) and a tamale pie--both were delicious and a welcome departure from the typical rice and beans.

We ate kind of late (8 pm) on a Thursday, but did not feel rushed. The atmosphere is casual and non-fussy. Our waitress was young, as most of the staff seemed to be, but very attentive; she did a great job (server #14...unfortunately did not catch her name).

Also noticed they have a 5.50 menu--several menu options offered for $5.50 until 4pm throughout the week. All around great value for very good, original food.

• Visited April 2012
Credit River, Minnesota, United States
“We were wrong until La Olla”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We were wrong that we would find some great Mexican in Arizona - until we went to La Olla. Excellent guacamole. While their Margarita's are small for the price, they were very good. Great food - very authentic.

Visited April 2012

Been to La Olla Mexican Cafe? Share your experiences!