“Great date night spot, great food.”
Review of Jax Kitchen - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great date night spot, great food.”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I heard about Jax from a friend of mine and decided to try it out for myself. I figured it would be a nice date night out for my girlfriend and I, and I sure was not disappointed.

The place is a bit small but has a comfortable charm to it. I'm not a drinker but it did have a nice little bar which I got a margarita for my lady. It was one of the most delicious mix drinks I've tried. The Orange and other fruit flavors went well with the tequila.

Our server was very helpful in explaining the dishes and appetizers.I had the duck with a corn pudding, that was cooked perfectly and had the flavors of a rich Thanksgiving feast. It was the best duck dish ive had in Tucson. My girlfriend had a salmon dish that she was very pleased with. Both of the dishes were a good price around $22 each and well worth it, because they were delicious and a different meal.

I would love to go back and try the dinners for two, the beef roast dinner that was on menu sounded delicious. This restaurant is definitely worth going back to.

• Visited January 2014

Guildford, England
“High hopes, disappointing service”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I had read the reviews for Jax Kitchen and discovered it was only a short walk from our Tucson hotel. We passed it last night and it looked busy and "buzzy" so we booked for tonight. They advertise Happy Hour from 4-6 then 8-close. We arrived at 7:15 for a 7:30 dinner booking and asked for a seat at the bar whilst we waited for our table. We were treated indifferently by the girl serving at the bar when we asked about the wines....eventually we asked for a bottle of which we were poured two glasses - no real eye contact or any conversation when we tried to make some! Another guy at the bar was also asking her questions and was treated the same way. Then we were told our table was ready. Oscar, a waiter, was pleasant but didn't really listen to our questions about the menu choices. We both plumped for the crispy salmon. We were brought bread and chips and constantly offered water refills. The food was absolutely amazing when it arrived, so deliciously tasty, loved very mouthful! Asked waitress about Happy hour(post 8pm), told we had to be seated at the bar....would've stayed for a few more drinks after dinner at the bar but felt the whole service attitude from all of the waiting staff was "fake" and indifferent....not what we have experienced through the rest of Arizona. Sorry Jax Kitchen, we loved the food but your staff need some better customer service training and need to show proper interest in their customers.

• Visited January 2014
Taipei, Taiwan
“Fish and duck are must try items!”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We used (another) Groupon for Jax Kitchen...we seem to have bought about 15 of these things..they are always a good buy, and there are always friends who want to join us here since the food is so good.

My family and I eat here at least twice a month and I only have one consistent complaint- stop asking us what wine we want with our meal before we've even looked at the menu!! I've worked in the bar/food industry and know that this is to upsell wine, but in my opinion you should not ask what we want when we don't know what we're eating. Sure, ask if we want cocktails or 'something' to drink to get something on the table right away, but don't ask about the wine.

Ok moving on (and I apologize to the server who asked us this because I may have given him my unsolicited opinion about the issue at the time...)..

We brought two friends with us who are not super food experienced and who have food allergies. I did call in advance to ask the chef about entrees that would be acceptable. When we arrived we found that there were enough dishes for her to select from, which was great since she was a bit apprehensive. I knew Jax would be a great place to take them since the chef introduces unusual flavors and ideas in an easy to eat way.

We started with the pistachio crusted goat cheese which was great! The olive tapenade really boosts the flavors. Our friends had never tried goat cheese, tapendade...pretty much everything on the plate, and they ended up really enjoying it. We also had the crab Louie Deviled eggs, which are my husbands favorite, so we order them every time. Jax changes this item slightly from time to time- I really like where it's at now.

Jax Kitchen and The Abbey always put something nice and freshly made on the table to munch on- this time is was hand cut chips and bread with olive oil/sea salt. They gave us plenty of refills as everyone at the table loved them both. My all time fav is the truffle oiled popcorn from the Abbey..sooooo good.

For mains :The duck was awesome. It was a play on Thanksgiving/Holiday turkey- but made fancy with duck and better flavors. Really nice, and my duck was cooked to perfection. Our friends had never had duck, but they liked what they tried from my plate. The salmon and sea bass were perfect (fish at Jax is usually very good), our friends cleaned their plates faster than I could have imagined :) The cast iron NY strip was cook really nicely, and we substituted a side for their risotto- yum! Absolutely zero complaints about the food.

• Visited December 2013
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta
“Best Pork Ever”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We had a Group-on coupon our kids had given us for our 44th anniversay.We had never been to Jax Kitchen so were unsure of what to expect. It is a small restaurant with the great service!! The menu is exciting with some interesting names. We both thought we would try the Pork "Porterhouse" just because, well one can get steak anywhere. This meal is to die for!!! It was the best tasting pork we have had anywhere, it is a very large piece of meat cooked to perfection, served piping hot with grilled brussel sprouts which have been sliced before being cooked, small potatoes sliced in half, baked and then grilled with bits of very tasty things all mixed in. The pork has been marinated before cooking and is absolutley mouth watering. There was enough left after we were full to take home for another meal. We had the cookies and milk for dessert - hot peanut butter cookies fresh from the oven served with a glass of "Adult" milk spiked with just a hint of brandy. We definitely will be back!! The service is great too!

• Visited December 2013
Bellevue, Washington
“One of My Favorites in Yucson”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is a small restaurant with an eclectic menu. You can order a burger (very good) or an artfully prepared piece of fish. 70% of the menu is fixed (try the crispy salmon), 30% rotates (another fish and a pasta dish). They serve delicious bread with olive oil and salt and homemade potato chips to start and inventive appetizers like the crab/avocado deviled eggs. Service is usually quite good and prompt. Prices are reasonable ( $18-25 entrees) The only complaint I have is with the wine list. It's not all that interesting and what they have is overpriced relative to their food prices.

Visited December 2013