“Excellent find”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Mesa, Arizona
“Excellent find”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

In a nondescript strip center off of busy Oracle Road, this place is a find! The chef knows what he has been doing. When the staff learned that this was our first visit they surprised us with several treats such as the chef's homemade potato chips. Everything we tried was quite good. Crispy salmon was a winner. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Manzanita, OR
“Wow, thank you trip advisor for guiding us to this GEM!!!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Here we were... in Tucson, tired, hungry and feeling lost. I pulled out my handy dandy iPhone and pulled up my TripAdvisor app and found this place not far from where we were. We read the reviews and set our course for Jax Kitchen. We barely found it in a strip mall, where it was poorly lit, but there were lots of cars out front so, bolstered by the glowing reviews we ventured in.
From the moment we stepped in, we knew we were in the right place. We had no reservations and it was a busy night but the host cheerfully found us a spot and told us that that night was half off of bottles of wine. Alrighty then! We were REALLY in the right place. The whole experience was a delight from start to finish. The whole serving staff was amazing! (I hate to admit it, but I'm a bit of a hard sale. I've eaten at a many a fine establishment and so I don't lightly hand out 5s or say the wait staff were amazing. In fact I haven't written a review for 5 months due to lack of inspiration but I am inspired!)
Our waiter, Justin, was perfect. He recommend an outstanding bottle of Malbec that rocked our world. Then the party began. We had the chef's appetizer plate, (or slate as they called it) that was lovely, then the next course was the house salad. Okay time to pause here for reverence, .................. the house salad was simply crazy good. I could of stopped there happy and content but hey, we were on vacation, we went the whole mile. Hubby and I got the specials of the night, Jamaican pot roast on garlic mashers and a sea bass with lobster claw sauce on puréed cauliflower. They were perfectly cooked and well presented. Mom got the cider braised pork. This dish was nirvana.
The portion sizes were very generous for such good food. My husband actually left there full….shock and awe. My only complaint would be that it was a bit noisy, but that is a drawback of going to a popular place. Do yourself a favor and go there now. Don't think any more or look any further....go there now. Tell Justin hello for us and drink some of that Malbec. Here in this lovely spot, we found home. Thank you Jax Kitchen.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Top Notch”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

House-made, butternut squash pasta w/ braised short ribs was dynamite! Couldn't get enough of the fresh bread and garlic-infused olive oil. The complimentary, fresh-made potato chips were a kick, too!

Visited November 2012
Mill Creek WA
“Will return”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We come to Tucson a few times a year. Each time I try some place new. This trip it was Jax with friends. We will be back. The decor and "feel" wasn't strip mall, so don't let the location scare you off. Menu is well thought out with a little bit of everything (chicken, fish, pasta, specials). Dishes are well prepared and well presented. The salads are interesting and they split ours onto two plates without being asked. Service was good; our server was a little quirky but not in a bad way. Prices are reasonable. Want to try their lunch menu next.

Oro Valley, Arizona
“Popular with folks here.”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The food is always presented well, and they have a great wine selection. I want to say that I'm almost impressed, but never get there. Their dishes always have onions, not sure why, but it's a great place, a must while on this side of town.

Visited May 2012