“Get the snack slate !”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Phoenix, Arizona
“Get the snack slate !”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We started of our order with the slate . Can't stay much more just good stuff on it .
We showed up without a reservation on a sat. night . They accommodated us , out front .
I got a hamburger , this thing was huge , messy and very tasty . I should have skipped lunch though I tried valiantly to finish it but could't . My sweetheart had the fish no. 2 . Witch was cooked to perfection .
Unfortunatly we didn't save room for dessert .
Very good food check it out , or if you're on the east side of town check out their sister restaurant The Abbey .

tucson
“Serious about food”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Food quality is excellent. Service is attentive but very informal. Very nice experience.

• Visited July 2011
Tucson
“Don't Miss Jax Kitchen!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I've been to this wonderful spot many times with my sister and other friends. No, it isn't cheap but neither is it out of line expensive! The food is great and we've never had service that didn't match the food. My favorite cocktail is the Raspberry Gimlet - it's soooo refreshing I have a hard time ordering anything else. The last time I was there I asked the waiter if there was somewhere I could set up a hammock and he could just bring me a whole pitcher of them! We've had lots of different things - from the salads that are always fresh and inventive, their grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup (to die for), the tasty and juicy pork chop, omigosh their creamy polenta with mascarpone and parmesan cheese made me swoon! It's a small place - and can tend to be a bit on the noisy side - but I never mind because the food and service are so great! And, yes, the red velvet is one of the best I've ever eaten. It had mini chocolate chips throughout which really upped the chocolate ante! I'm sorry the one reviewer had such an awful experience because we've never been anything but ecstatic over the place. And on my birthday my friends mentioned that it was my birthday and they brought a birthday dessert to me - free!

• Visited May 2011
Washington
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

This was our favorite restaurant experience during our trip to Tucson. The Kobe beef burger with barbecue aioli was one of the best burgers I've ever had, with a wonderfully understated flavor that let the perfectly cooked meat shine. The red velvet cake was great too - not too sweet and very tasty. My only quibble is that my wine had a slightly cooked taste to it. But everything else was perfect.

• Visited February 2011
Tucson
“Pork Belly and Red Velvet perfection!”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I've eaten here a few times but was never impressed. What got me to go back was the atmosphere - sort of casually classy, good service, and laid back vibe.

Jax generally plays it a little too safe - the food isn't particularly decadent, nor interesting, nor vibrantly fresh. I've order duck confit salad, bbq pork sandwich, various salads, the chicken, kobe burger and pork chop at various times. All adequate and nothing more.

Then I ordered the pork belly stew with truffled polenta - yum - rich, fatty in the best way and the polenta was light and creamy and cheesy.

I had to try the red velvet cake as I've been on a red velvet kick this last year ordering it eveywhere I go. This was far and away the best, perhaps because it was a bit more chocolatey than the typical red velvet.

• Visited January 2011