“Off to a bad start but . . .”

Guiseppe's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #58 of 2,042 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Blue Collar Italian Restaurant
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Saturday night October 27th

This is a difficult review to write because things started off bad. My wife and I were in Tucson for an extended weekend. We recently came back from a trip to Italy so I wanted to take my wife out for Italian to celebrate her birthday. There was no way I was going to compare any Italian restaurant in America with Italy. I was going to give an overall rating of 3 but Giuseppe's redeemed themselves with their food. If things had gone smoothly, I would have given them a 5 but with all things concerned (the good and the bad) I gave an overall rating of 4. I spoke with Joshua (one of the owners) and he agreed that there was a big problem.

I made a reservation for 6:30 pm for outside seating. We arrived at 6:30 to find chaos at the desk. The woman in front us also had a 6:30 reservation and was told that it would be at least 30 minutes before her party could be seated. We were told the same story as well as the man behind us who also had a 6:30 reservation. Since it was my wife's birthday I felt that the situation was totally unacceptable. I asked the George, the Maitre d' if he would provide a complimentary appetizer or something because our reservation just put us in line for a table. He said "NO" and we waited for 30 minutes and ended up with inside table seating. It seems to me that George was in over his head and might not be suited to be the Maitre d'. I observed one employee, Brian who probably was the hardest working person there. He cleaned up the tables and kept things running smoothly to seat people as soon as possible.

Now for the good part. Kevin our waiter tried his best to make up for the shortcomings of George and their reservation system. We chose the tomato basil bruschetta for an appetizer. It was outstanding and could compete with anything bruschetta we had in Italy. For the main course, we both had the Pork Carbanara which was excellent. For desert, she had the complimentary birthday dessert - chocolate cake with cookies and cream frosting with chocolate drizzle. It was excellent and is an "off-menu" item. I had the tiramisu which again was as good as I had in Italy. The portions are large and the prices are very reasonable.

I noticed that many of the customers were "locals" which is good because they wouldn't eat there if it was not very good.

If I rated on food alone, Giuseppe's would have received a 5 but operational issues almost landed them a 3 for overall score. I hope they fix their reservations problems because Giuseppe's food is great, the portions are large and the prices are low.

1  Thank Steve_Shelly

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had a great evening at Guiseppe's. The food and wine were great, at a good price. We had 2 teenagers with us and they were stuffed, so mission accomplished! The atmosphere is fun, we sat outdoors on the patio which is outdoor sidewalk style. The staff was attentive. A great evening.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Try the veal for dinner and the cheese steak sandwich for lunch. Good stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very good central location. inspite of it being in a modest shopping center, the place is nicely decorated and the food is great. Fresh pasta and excellent sauce. Lots of nice salads and very good service. Great place for a business lunch or couples dinner.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The food here is always great just like the more expensive Vivace (same family ownership). But the prices (especially wine) are about half of Vivace. Both are great but Giuseppe is an every day restaurant

1  Thank rogerxArizona