“I love it!”

Add it.
Sabor Tropical
Cuisines: Colombian, Latin, South American
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Everything I've had there is great. It is pretty much the only place to get Latin Caribbean food in Tucson. I just wish they were open more. I go every chance I get.

You can't go wrong.

1  Thank tracyrenee5
There are newer reviews for Sabor Tropical
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Of all the Latin American/South American restaurants in Tucson, this is by far the best not only inquality, but in price, taste, authenticity and not to mention its very central location. The restaurant is conveniently close to the UofA campus, and has become one of my favorite spots for good, filling food.

The best part of Sabor Tropical is definitely the food. I have been there several times, and each time have decided to try something different. My first dish was the Arroz con Pollo, as recommended by the attentive server. The dish is a decadent serving of what they describe as "Carribbean Style" yellow rice mixed with shredded chicken and vegetables. The dish is accompanied by sweet plantains and salad. It was immediately a winner. The next time, I ordered essentially the same dish but instead of chicken, I chose shrimp. This one was even better! The shrimp was perfectly cooked and very flavorful. If I had to recommend any dishes, however, as the meat eater that I am, I would recommed the Bandeja Paisa. It is the most filling of the dishes and consists of a variety of meats such as carne asada, sausage, and pork but also comes with rice, beans, plantains, a small arepa and even a fried egg. For clients who are concerned about calories, I would recommend the grilled chicken breast. It is juicy, delicious and absolutely flavorful! I would even recommend to try it with the coconut rice!!

In my many visits, I have also taken friends and family. They have been very impressed with the appetizers such as the fried yucca, the arepa, the plantain chips, the Colobmian sausage and the sweet plantains. My favorite has got to be the crunchy empanadas made of either beef, chicken or cheese. They are quick and satisfying for only $1 each!! I will sometimes order up to two dozen to take home and share with my roommates. Without a doubt, the food at Sabor Tropical is what keeps me coming back, as everything is made fresh to the order and has an authentic homecooked flavor.

The restaurant also has a large variety of tropical fruit drinks like passion fruit, blackberry, Guava, Guanabana, a very interesting tree-tomato juice that I must say is quite delicious and other fruits that I can hardly pronounce but can say are all very good. My favorite has got to be the passion fruit, particularly blended in milk.

Overall, the atmosphere is very relaxed. The decor itself could use a little bit of change, as it does not particularly screan "Latin America" but it is the least of the worries. We are always greeted by attentive young servers, one of whom I believe is the owner's daughter. Often, we have had the owner, a very friendly lady come by to converse with us. We defintiely feel welcome, as all the staff is inviting.

Overall, Saabor Tropical deserves two thumbs up and definitely worth a try if you want to experience something good and slightly offbeat or if you are longing for some South American comfort food, this is the place to go.

7  Thank tanene