“Basic, clean, roadside motel”

University Inn Tucson
Ranked #50 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is a nicely located facility close to downtown Tucson, the U of A, and other interesting places where people may find themselves traveling. It's close to the freeway and easy access to many amenities - restaurants, shops, markets, etc. The rooms are comfortable, the beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean. The prices are very reasonable. That said, if you're used to staying in a hotel, or a little more upscale, there are some things you would want to know.

First, it's an old facility and the kind of place that people stop for the night to rest while they're on a journey. Think roadside motel from a 1950's movie. It's not anything even close to a destination hotel. The neighborhood is OK, but there are bums across the street in the park. Didn't cause me any concern, but I wouldn't have gone out walking alone after 9 pm., which I often do when I travel. The rooms have microwaves and refrigerators, but not coffee makers. This was only an issue for me when I realized I couldn't use the microwave to heat water because there were no microwave friendly cups in the room. The motel is on a busy street and there are road and facility noises. If you're a very light sleeper you'll want to turn on the airconditioner on the fan setting for the white noise. It works well.

The free breakfast is nice to have, but don't expect much. There are a few breads and pastries, regular coffee, hot water, non-dairy creamer and cold cereal. No fruit and no options for anyone who doesn't eat refined carbohydrates, or is gluten or wheat intolerant. The motel is close to markets so if you have restrictions and want to eat before you leave, hit the store the night before - you have a refrigerator and microwave in the room.

All in all, it's a nice little facility. It's comfortable, clean and cheap. The staff appear to live on site and are helpful and friendly. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Where2GoWhere2go
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Where2Gowhere2go,

Thank you for providing a wonderful detailed review of our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. What you have said is pretty much what we are all about- "All in all, it's a nice little facility. It's comfortable, clean and cheap." We are indeed centrally located, less than a mile away from Tucson downtown and the University of Arizona campus where nearly 40,000 students go to college.

We are a locally owned and operated business for over 20 years and are constantly improving our Inn. Having coffee makers in all the rooms has been discussed before, however we are waiting to see if there is more demand from our customers for it before we put them in all the rooms. Meanwhile we have provided a solution, we keep coffee in our office all day long even after the breakfast hours. I would like to apologize for not having microwaveable cups in the rooms because we use plastic cups for the rooms, but we do have microwavable cups in the office that you can use.

While our continental breakfast has been discussed before, I would like to give insight to our future customers who read this review and response so they know what kind of service they get when they choose our Inn. We like to create a great balance of value and affordability. With that being said, at our very affordable rates we provide much more than typical motels do, even more than high-end hotels.

Let's start with the definition of a continental breakfast. Originally the English breakfast, (in the United Kingdom) also known as a "full breakfast/hot breakfast," included everything you usually order from a menu. You can order eggs a few different ways, bacon, sausage or ham, and toast. Also included would be coffee, juice, fruit, and pastries. The English breakfast was a whole breakfast because that was the norm in United Kingdom. While the rest of Europe, breakfast was a meal that was lighter, which included just coffee, juice, and pastries. The term itself is of British origin. "The continent" in Britain refers to the countries of continental Europe. A "continental breakfast" thus denotes the type of lighter meal served in continental Europe, as opposed to the "full" English breakfast. In general, the motels and Inns in the United States borrowed this term and used it to serve the light breakfast of coffee, juice, and pastries (usually donuts). Over the years this continental breakfast has evolved and grown to include other various items as each motel and brand desires. So when a motel or hotel describes having continental breakfast it only originally includes coffee, juice, and pastries. However, our Inn has extended this to include toast, bagels, cereal and milk, and fruit (seasonally).

Considering the value we provide at the rates that we charge, we believe we go above and beyond what the industry standard is in our motel category. If you consider high-end hotels like Sheraton and Hilton, they charge you well over $150 for a room, make you pay for wireless Internet, and don’t have any continental breakfast. They will typically have a full serve breakfast but at higher additional charges. We fit into a wonderful market where our customers get to enjoy many amenities at an all-in-one cost, which is much affordable. In the end you get more for your money without having to spend a lot for a good nights stay when traveling.

Thank you again for your gracious comments and we love to hear that you would definitely come back to stay again. We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were looking for an inexpensive but adequate hotel near University of Arizona, and the University Inn fit the bill. We had a king bed that was quite comfortable. Our room was clean and pleasant, and the staff were helpful. In the immediate vicinity, this appears to be the nicest of the affordable options. Be warned that the neighborhood north of the inn seems a little dodgy.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sarah H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear our Inn was just what you were looking for, clean and comfortable at a great price. At University Inn Tucson, our goal is to provide value. We provide a clean and comfortable stay with many amenities at a price that is reasonable. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This past weekend my son and I visited the University of Arizona. and we needed a place to crash for the night. The University Inn is close to U of A. We walked to the university, which is about 1 mile from the inn. If you don't want to walk to the university, you're only a mile away from the school, so it will take just a few minutes. I gave the inn a score of average, because the facilities are just that, average. Having said that, the management is professional and friendly, continental breakfast is served and the price can't be beat.If you are looking for a top notch five star facility to stay in while visiting Tucson this is not the place. If you're looking for a place to crash while visiting Tucson, I would definitely recommend The University Inn.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CoupLand
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear CoupLand,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on Tripadvisor. We are indeed located centrally and very close to the University of Arizona. I am happy to hear you found our service to be very friendly and our prices reasonable, if not valuable. Our Inn focuses on providing clean and comfortable rooms with many amenities at a great price! Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a very affordable inn that meets all the creature comforts. The beds were comfortable and the room very clean. If you are not the sort of traveler that needs 5 star hotel accommodations this inn is a great choice. The front desk person was very nice and all was as we expected when we checked in. The location is central to all the goings on in Tucson. Would certainly stay there again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne T
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Anne T,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all your nice comments about our rooms. Indeed we provide clean and comfortable rooms, at a great price, and at a central location in Tucson. We are happy to hear you had a great experience and look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were in seven different cities in seven days during our vacation, and this was the cheapest hotel we booked. I was expecting something much worse. It isn't a fancy place, but it was perfect for our needs that one night. It is in a great location to get some AMAZING food; see some great sights; spend time at the college (and the college's museums); or go shopping on 4th Avenue (which is a great feature). The staff was nice, and the room and pool were both clean. The temperature was comfortable in the August heat of Tucson.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RAB40AZ
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear RAB40AZ,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our Inn. I am glad we exceeded your expectations regarding our service. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for," has a different meaning for us. We focus on providing the highest quality through being clean and comfortable, while providing above average amenities at a low price! I am glad you had an amazing time here with all the attractions to see and places to eat. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to serving you again next time you visit!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is exactly the type of hotel that I love staying at: economical, clean, functional, and located next to fun sites. I can't believe I only spent $44 for the night. My room was simple, clean, and functional. The AC worked like a charm. WiFi was OK; it seemed to work fine when I visited some websites but had trouble connecting to others. (I confess I didn't really check in with the front desk about this.) The hotel is nicely situated: it's close to the freeway and to a nice place to hang out shop, namely Fourth Avenue. I know there's a park across the street, but I wasn't worried. It was clear the hotel was concerned about security, including plenty of bright lights in the parking lot at night, and a gate on the side of the hotel facing the park that closes at night. Would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sam L
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Sam L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear that our Inn was exactly the type of accommodation you were looking for.

We are indeed a reasonably priced, clean, and comfortable place for guests who want to stay in a central location. I would like to apologize for the slight inconvenience with the wifi internet, it's a subject we are constantly improving on. I am glad to hear you found our Inn to be secure and safe, as we always hold safety a priority.

Thank you for all your helpful comments again. We look forward to serving you again next time you visit!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed here last week while visiting my daughter at the U of A. It was me and my mother alone. I'm a seasoned traveler and have stayed in everything from 5 star hotels to roach motels so when I book a modestly priced hotel in a city center I have realistic expectations. The week before I had spent two nights at The Lodge in Ventana Canyon which was almost ten miles away so I have a good comparison of value. This place was exactly what I was looking for. It is very close to the U. I don't know why the previous reviewer said it took them 5-10 minutes since google maps has it down as .9 miles. It took me about two minutes going down Speedway. Walking would have been easy as well. The location is perfect for easy access to the University, Presidio and City Center as well as Speedway and I-10 access. We never saw any so called "bums" and the park across the street looked empty. It didn't bother us at all but then we're from Seattle... The owner was so friendly I couldn't believe it. He began a conversation with me and ended up telling me all about his family in India. It was really wonderful. The room was comfortable, everything worked, AC was very nice. The pool was really cute and old school. I was looking forward to taking a dip but the lightening was going off that night. Most importantly it was very clean. It's an old hotel so expect imperfections but very clean. The free breakfast is exactly as expected, donuts, cereal, milk, juice and most importantly coffee. I got what I wanted. Why do people review these mom and pop hotels and rake them over the coals. Talk about unreasonable expectations. This place was great, I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Laura M
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Laura M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to read all the compliments you wrote about our Inn.

You hit an absolutely great point about our Inn that I would like to emphasize - We provide nice, clean, and comfortable rooms at a great value. All guests have the choice to pay a lot more for a 5-star hotel or pay even less for a simple motel. We categorize ourselves to be the "inbetween" and strive to create the perfect balance of quality and cost. We provide all the necessary amenities for guests who want a clean, comfortable place that does not cost a lot. Our location is also one of the best for guests who want to be close to center city and the University of Arizona.

We enjoy guests like you who help our independent Inn and give us a chance at serving you. We were happy to hear that you would stay here again so on that note, we look forward to serving you again next time you visit!