“The good and bad” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Tucson, Arizona
“The good and bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Now I am a local I stayed here cuz my power went out in the summer

The good: Wifi works well...price is decent....mini fridge and microwave (not used) A/C worked well

The bad: their "free breakfast" is a joke....It is right next to a homeless park ( I knew this due to the fact I live here...just noting for travelers...do not go to the park after dark)....rather dated furniture...when I say dated I do not mean there is a tube tv (which there is) but the chair in the room is a 70s Archie Bunker looking chair...all of this I can deal with...NOW THE MAIN REASON FOR A POOR RATING...when I got to my room I took a shower...never left the room when I woke up and sat at the desk to watch the news i put my foot up on my leg...and my feet were black....in other words do not lay on the carpet..

Room Tip: pay the extra 20 bucks to go across the street to te best western
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear lasvegasazguy,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn as all reviews are important to us. I saw that this was your first review on TripAdvisor and would like to apologize for the inconveniences you had with your stay.

Our breakfast is a continental breakfast. We provide coffee, juice, tea, donuts, cereal, milk, pastries, bread, bagel, and fruit. Considering the rates of our Inn, we provide many amenities including the numerous items in our breakfast. We focus on reasonable pricing while providing the highest value.

There is indeed a park across from our Inn, and the safety of our guests is always a priority. We have been managing this Inn for over 15+ years and have never had a safety issue due to the park.

I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you had with the cleanliness of our rooms. As a standard procedure we always vacuum every room after every guests’ stay. We also get our carpets professionally shampooed. I will be talking to my housekeeping staff to see which rooms need extra carpet cleaning, as we will definitely be paying attention to this.

I am glad to hear that you had no problems with our wifi, our budget friendly pricing, and the amenities in our room. Again I would like to apologize for the inconveniences and would love to invite you back for our hospitality.

University Inn Mgmt.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Concord, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed five nights at this motel (6/2/2013 to 6/7/2013).

The room had two double beds, my bed was very comfortable.
The AC unit had broken louvers but worked fine.
The room had a refrigerator and microwave, in addition to a coffee maker.
The hair dryer started smoking the first time I tried to use it.
The shower had plenty of pressure and hot water.

Room Tip: I always check to make sure the window is locked, ~ 25% of the time I find the window unlocked.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Alan S,

Thank you for writing a review for our Inn. I want to apologize for any conveniences you had during your stay with us. However, I am happy to hear you were comfortable in our rooms and enjoyed the extra amenities. We did recently update our AC features as we added temperature thermostats. Sometimes guests have had trouble adjusting the temperature so in some of the room we have disconnected the thermostats and taken off the control cover of the ACs so the controls are easily accessible. We are testing this as we continue to improve our Inn. We will be sure to also check out the hairdryers to make sure they are functioning properly in the room. Overall I am glad to hear you were comfortable and the shower was working properly. We do look forward to serving you again next time you visit us. Thank you again for your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights, and found the room comfortable for the price. Wifi worked well with no problems. Air con was heaven as was extremely hot when we arrived. We found it odd that we had to make our toast and then take it back to our room, as there wasn't really anywhere to sit and eat it in reception. Now we believe that this is not unusual in the this part of the US, as we have found the same in other motels.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Millieandme,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am glad you found our rooms to be comfortable. It is hot during the summer times of the year in Tucson, making our AC's extremely important for our guests so I am glad that it worked well for you. We also have our pool where you can cool off in during the hot days. I am glad you brought up the breakfast sitting area. It is uncommon for Motels of our size to provide free continental breakfast due to the rates that we charge. We still provide free continental breakfast as an added feature and it is quite common in the States for guests to take back their breakfast with them into their rooms and enjoy it there. I am glad you had a great experience with us and we hope to serve you again in the near future.

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We needed a place to park our bones for a night while in Tucson to visit friends and attend a concert at the Casino del Sol and this Inn fit the bill. Don't let the price deceive you, this place is less expensive only because of the location in Tucson. Yes, this part of Stone is sort of run down, but remember this is Tucson, and many parts of the city are truly the "Old Pueblo". The room was as clean as could be, the host, Henry, totally accommodating and helpful, and the location actually ideal since it is close to downtown where we had a meeting, and close to the Fourth Ave. shopping district and the U of A. Top that off with being a couple of blocks from the freeway to get us to the concert and it was a winner. The AC worked as designed and was not overly noisy. It is a window style and there is noise from this kind in every hotel I have stayed at. It was also thermostat controlled on the wall which made for tight control.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the first floor facing north so as to minimize any noise from the street and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear robertocollins,

Thank you for reviewing our Inn. I am pleased to hear you had a wonderful experience at our Inn. We do provide clean and comfortable rooms at a very budget friendly price. Why spend more when you don't have to? Thank you for all your comments and helpful recommendations. We look forward to serving you again next time you visit Tucson, AZ!

University Inn Tucson Mgmt.
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Thank you Henry for making my stay wonderful. The rooms where clean and spacious and very quiet, I will definitely be staying there on my next business trip. The hotel is very good about helping with directions around town and also in dining suggestions. The location of the hotel is very central to a lot of attractions and not very far from the freeway. In general I enjoyed my stay tremendously and recommend this hotel to anybody planning a trip to the Tucson area. Make sure you say hi to Henry he is a great guy!

Room Tip: Ask management to turn air conditioning on a couple of hours before you get there that way the room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Myrnagrant,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am absolutely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We indeed have wonderful rooms that are clean and comfortable. Having been residents of tucson for over 20+ years, we are more than willing to show our guests what to see and what to eat around town. We are centrally located so there are plenty of attractions to see around. Thank you for your recommendations and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

University Inn Tucson Mgmt.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were looking for somthing cheep and cheerful near to the university and this fit the bill nicley. The staff were helpful, the room was clean and spacious and we got a good nights sleep. The only down side was that the Wi-Fi was virtually unusable and the aircon was old and noisy. Overall though it was a good little motel and great value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear HappyTravelersVR,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear you found our rooms to be very comfortable and clean. I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you had with the wireless internet and the air conditioner. We are already making improvements to our wireless internet to make it more secure and faster for our guests. The air conditioners that we have are nearly the same in all the rooms, but we will take a look at them to see if any of them need to be replaced due to the concern you expressed. However, I am glad we provided you value with our clean and comfortable rooms, and that your overall experience was great. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again next time you visit!

Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed there one night. Room/bathroom was clean and the mattress was decent. Lives up to its reviews. Good proximity to the University, 4th Ave and downtown The area is not in the best part of town, there were some transients passing by on Stone but I never felt unsafe. Pool was well maintained The manager Henry is very friendly and helpful. There were some issues with their internet having slow connectivity. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear dwingo,

Thank you for reviewing our Inn. I am happy knowing you found our bed and room to be comfortable and clean. Our location is central so we have lots of fun things to do around. Since we are close to downtown and the University of Arizona, we have people from all walks of life. We have been running this Inn for the past 20+ years and have always had a focus on safety insuring our guests feel safe and comfortable. We do have a wonderful pool, which is nice to cool down in during the hot summer days. I am happy to hear you had a great customer service experience. I am glad you brought up the internet concern. We have consistently been working with our internet to make it faster and more secure. We have just ordered new signal boosters to provide even a greater signal into the rooms. By the next time you visit us again we should have them up and running. I am happy to hear you had a good experience staying at our Inn and we look forward to serving you again next time you visit us!