“Enjoyable natural history learning experience”

Traildust Adventure Tours
Ranked #11 of 37 Tours in Tucson
Iowa City, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Enjoyable natural history learning experience”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our family of two adults and two teens was picked up at our hotel and driven about 40 minutes to a private ranch for our jeep tour on the southeast side of Tucson. Our guide, Kurt, was very knowledgable and showed us all the desert plants. We tasted samples of various edible cacti that he'd brought along. We were shown ancient petroglyphys and all handled his tarantula. Kurt was dressed as a cowboy with a real six-shooter and bullets on his belt. After this trip, we decided to forego the trip to the Desert Museum, since we'd learned a lot from Kurt. So if you want a cheaper way to learn about natural history, you might consider the museum. The ride was bumpy enough to make it interesting, but not enough for motion sickness.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Sue G

Orlando
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Look at the desert from a whole different perspective”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Having visited the Tucson area many times, and having hiked tens of miles through the desert and the mountains, I thought I knew enough about the Sonoran Desert flora to get by. Boy was I wrong. Our guide, Bob C., was fantastic! I already knew the names of most of the plants that he showed us, but I had no idea the extent to which the native people have historically used those plants. We learned all about which cacti were edible, which plants could be used for medicine, which should be avoided, tools to remove cholla from your clothes (a hair comb!), how to burn the needles off a cholla to eat it, the list goes on! There were seven of us, including 3 kids under 10, and Bob was able to tailor his stories and make them interesting and entertaining for all of us.

You can see the majority of the plants Bob pointed out on any hike in the area, or even on the streets of town, and you can see them in a guide book, but you won't get to hear Bob's stories and anecdotes any other place. He was a cross between a botanist, a biologist and a cowboy poet...fascinating.

Don't pass up a chance to take this jeep tour!

Visited March 2013
Palm Harbor, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great desert trip”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This jeep tour and scavenger hunt was truly a fascinating day. George was out guide and was so knowledgable. He took us for a ride we won't soon forget. Even though the trip was a little rough at times we were laughing and having a great time. During the tour we went for lunch that was set up in the desert and were trated to some good barbecue. I would highly recommend this company for your desrt tours.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank flowerde
Napa, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“This was the highlight of our week in Tucson!!!”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I just reviewed Trail Dust Jeep Adventures on Yelp , but really wanted as many people as possible to know what an incredible experience they provide. I just copied and pasted my own review from Yelp onto Tripadvisor (I hope that is 'kosher'). It was through other people's reviews that we were able to plan an itinerary that made our entire trip to Tucson such a memorable experience. I hope this review will help convince you that this is something that should not be missed when in the area!...

The time we spent with our tour guide, Bob, in the desert was the highlight of our 7 day stay in Tucson. (And just let me say, we had a great time the entire week!). Bob (and Danny---not sure if he is a guide also, he didn't talk as much, but appeared to know plenty!) met us at The Westin La Paloma where we were staying, and drove us to the 6000 acre Cattle Ranch in The Rincon Valley where they give their amazing and informative tours.

We were shown the various types of cacti on the ranch, which parts were edible, which plants the natives had used for 'smoke baths' which made good soap, antiseptic, glue... Bob reminded me of Les Stroud (who apparently spent a week in the Sonoran desert on a recent episode of Survivorman) I was amazed at how much he knew about the history of the land, the plants, the animals... I don't think there was a question we asked that Bob or Danny couldn't answer. They even brought along Rosie, a live tarantuala (she had been kept well hidden in a secure little container, and I only held her because I chose to---my mom kept herself at a good distance) a wonderful interactive aide!

We spent 4 hours with Bob and Danny and they were wonderful. Native American blankets were provided for our comfort (it was a cold, windy day), we were given bottled water and were offered more, but had brought along our own snacks. We saw petroglyphs on the rocks made by the Native Americans who lived on the land long ago, and were able to see shards of native pottery Bob has found over the past 10 years he has been working in the desert for Trail Dust Jeep Tours. Danny took pictures of us with Bob, and Bob made sure we had a photo op at The Giant Saguaro Cactus---GIANT!!

This adventure truly was the highlight of our trip. We were 100% happy with the entire experience. It was well worth the $$ spent . If you only do one thing while in Tucson, make it a desert jeep tour with Trail Dust Jeep Tours. I am sure all their guides are good, but I KNOW Bob is terrific! Their website shows all the options they have...it looks like they offer incredible large group tours as well.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank Debbie P
Springdale, Arkansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“No Show Adventure Tours”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We were visiting Tucson and scheduled an ecology tour with Traildust weeks in advance of our arrival. On the day of the tour we waited at the designated spot for the guide. An hour after the scheduled pick up time we called the Traildust and were told they didn't know what happened to the guide. The guide knew about the scheduled tour but just didn't show! Bad business! Big disappointment!

8 Thank tootsiecat