“Nice people, pleasant rooms, clean and quiet”

TownePlace Suites Tucson Airport
Ranked #36 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed July 7, 2012

TownePlace is trying to be a more “upscale” extended-stay brand hotel and in décor and amenities I would say this location has succeeded in that regard. This location offers only studios (no 1- or 2-bedroom suites) that are not much bigger than a standard mid-level hotel room but they do have more amenities. Kitchens are well-appointed, colors are muted yet pleasant and bathrooms are nicely finished and well-stocked. Towels were surprisingly soft. The closet was huge. The bed was very comfortable. The small sofa converts to a full-size bed if needed. For one person it was more than adequate for the one night I stayed; for a longer stay, however, I would want a larger room or 1-bedroom suite. The staff was great; I got a call from the front desk shortly after settling into my room asking if all was to my satisfaction. Another front desk agent was more than helpful in providing directions to a nearby movie theater. The location is super close to the airport which is good if you have an early flight. I did not partake of the free breakfast so I’m not qualified to comment on that. Housekeeping did just fine as my room was very clean upon arrival. I only recall a convenience store and a Burger King close-by (and possibly a cocktail lounge) so if you need more substantive fare you’ll need a car or a cab. There are a lot of hotel choices near Tucson Airport (budget to upper-mid-level); I’m happy to recommend this one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review! We hope to see you the next time you are in town!

We also offer a complimentary Airport Shuttle as well as shuttle service to The Great American Grill restaurant that is half a mile away!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I really had high expectations of the TownePlace Suites Tucson Airport. For several years I have been staying at the Residence Inn when conducting business here. To be quite honest, other than slightly smaller rooms, the hotels are very similar both in style and appearance. Even the carpet looks similar. There, unfortunately, is where the similarities end. And, to be honest, it's just the little things. For example, the manager's reception was warm lettuce, cold chicken strips, and breadsticks. There were 3 cans of soda in a bowl filled with ice. At breakfast there is a tip-jar with a hand-written note soliciting tips. (see photo) Very surprising for a Marriott brand in my opinion.
The air conditioner in my room is very, very loud when the compressor goes on and off. The kitchenette is nice, but would be nice if they had a pitcher I could use to store water, or to make iced tea or something and then take advantage of the ice machine etc.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike W
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

This is excellent feedback! We appreciate hearing all aspects of your stay with us so we may continuously improve every stay! I have great news as well; we are currently working on an entire new menu for our Managers Reception and will roll these changes out this July!

I sincerely apologize regarding the noise the air conditioning unit caused during your stay I understand how this can effect a good night’s sleep. We are aware that this problem has occurred and have taken all the proper steps to make sure it does not occur again.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you come to Tucson! I can assure you, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very nice hotel and we were so sorry we couldnt stay more than one night!..The breakfast was wonderful before we had to catch an early flight. Room was so clean and everything was very nice and clean in the breakfast area and in the lobby. The lobby was charming. We even noticed they had a basketball court on the grounds!..Pool area was very nice also. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We are locals who did a sleep/fly stay. The hotel is clean, friendly, spacious and the shuttles are very prompt.
Our hours did not allow for us to sample any food.
The clerk who checked us in could not have been nicer or more patient. His name is OZ.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Nice lobby. Very clean rooms. Friendly environment. The best surprise - A hot dinner as well as a hot breakfast! It was so convenient to not have to look for a nearby restaurant. Dinner was two kinds of lasagna, salad, rolls and drinks. It is at the airport, but only an easy 15 minute drive from the University.

Room Tip: The sound insulation is not the best, but I am sensitive to noise and my sleep was not disturbed.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Location: 8/10

The Hotel is located close to the Tucson airport, not more then a mile to the front door. It is definitely a walkable distance if you are not taking a rental car or if a shuttle is not available. The only problem about the location is there is limited signage on the main road coming from the airport. The hotel is stuck way back in the corner by itself, which in a way is nice. There are quite a few restaurants near by, mostly fast food, for a decent sit down meal you will need to drive about 25 minutes out of the area. The same goes for a local food store, requiring a short drive across town you will find a newer shopping area that has a new Food City supermarket.

Service: 7/10

The overall service provided at the hotel was very good during my stay. However, one small annoyance that I have been experiencing at many other Marriotts is the lack of attentive front desk staff when checking out. I don't know what it is, all of the front desks have access to a camera that monitors the desk from the back room, yet three time in a row, at separate hotels in totally different geographic areas I needed to wait 10 minutes for a staff member. Two of those times required me sticking my head around the corner and this time required a hotel maid to enter the back room area and get the person to check me out. A big deal? Not really because I had plenty of time, however it is becoming an annoyance. Some of the hotels offer an express checkout by using your tv to check out, although nice, it frequently does not work reliably and requires a visit to the front desk.

Facilities: 6/10

The entire hotel surroundings are very clean and newer looking. I didn't find garbage anywhere and the pool was clean, working and had functioning waterfall. There was also a nice grill located near the pool, although it was too cool outside while I was there to cook out, I checked to confirm the grill worked and lit. Definitely a nice area to cook outside, the next time I am at this location I am going to pick up some steaks and make them on the grill outside, definitely worth it!!

Since these are "suites" or mini apartments they contain a full kitchen, however I would call it more along the lines of a "mini" kitchen. The stove is electric and small, no oven, just a microwave and large refrigerator with freezer. The counter tops are a nice marble-stylistic material, they provide some cooking pots and pans, but don't get your hopes up for any Wolfgang Puck style cooking pans, these are straight up metal pans. If you plan on cooking, make sure you pick up some Pam!!

The bathroom was very well done, full marble-stylistic counter tops and screen printed tile (not the real stuff but the made to look real stuff) which appeared to be installed in a professional manner. The flooring was clean and there was no dirt or debris around the room. There was a large stain on the carpet near the bathroom, looked like a bleach type spill or some sort of cleaning liquid that was attempted to be fixed.

Overall: 7.5/10

Not bad. That's what I could give this hotel. I will be back in a week staying again for five nights so I will do another review on the facilities and hopefully use the grill. I did have some oddities in my room that were corrected quickly, one was missing batteries in the TV remote and a missing light bulb in of the lights in the room. Yes....two odd missing items, however they were both fixed quickly and two pieces of chocolate and a "fixed" card were left behind, nice touch!

I am looking forward to my next stay here as the location is prime from the airport, and as with anything in Tucson, it's a drive to find what you need or want, but it's not horrible either.

Room Tip: Select a room away from elevators and ice machines!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bella213
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We were here for a convention and got good convention/group rates. The place was easily located to I-10 . The rooms are convenient to get to. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was very good each morning. I chose this one just because it has a free breakfast, unlike some Marriotts like Courtyards.
They have nice amenities like computer room and wifi, lobby TV with Wii available free, swimming pool outside only, and inside work-out machines with TV available.
Outstanding to me is that it was very quite as though it were soundproofed. I mean, despite the heavy doors which closed loudly, I barely ever heard any noise like usual from the hallway, or next door to us on either side. Even the bathroom had quite flushing toilet and shower head and the light/fan could not be heard through the door to the bed area.
The rooms have almost full kitchen, minus an oven. I was disapponted to find no oven, when I brought lasagna for dinner but had no oven to cook it. That was okay, I just saw no indication that there was no oven in a kitchen, just a cook top and microwave oven. Dish and silverware and glassware supplies were minimal, so you might bring your own just in case.
All in all, we like the place and would use it again sometime.

Room Tip: ask for what you want, they are accommodating.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business