“Golf Sports Bar”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Player's Club Drive
Description: Tucson BBQ restaurants don’t get any better than this! Featuring competition-style house-made sauces and rubs, the award-winning Catalina Barbeque Co. serves succulent smoked meats and other Southwestern specialties. Open for lunch and dinner daily.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

It's in the Golf Clubhouse. If I was walked in with my eyes closed and didn't know where I was going, I would have felt I walked into a Denny's or Mid to Lower Class hotel Breakfast area with the exception it was larger than those and had tv's. But tables, chairs, and floor reminded me of the above. Food was good, it tried to stand out but its a sports bar.
It is off hotel's main grounds so you'd have to walk a distance or ride to this restaurant.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Game day Sundays! All the games on and drink specials! Great place to relax after a round of golf. The driving range was good also.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I went here with my wife and a couple of close friends. We went at 6:30 on a Saturday night and the place was empty - only one other couple. The restaurant is very nice. We were seated overlooking the golf course, not out on the patio, but the view was perfect. Our server was a young female with a great personality and our service was very good. The place is known as a sports bar, but feels more like an intimate restaurant. Very quiet and nice. My wife and I are certified barbecue judges, so we tend to be a little more critical regarding barbecue. I had the pulled pork sandwich and the mac & cheese for my side. The pulled pork was very good - juicy and tender but not over cooked. The mac & cheese, however, was not that great. The noodles were rubbery and the cheese sauce was bland. My wife had a combo plate as did my friend. Both commented that all the meats were cold, especially the ribs. My friends wife had the full rack of baby backs and she complained that they were too spicy, but that was subject to argument at the table because the others that had them said they were not. I can't comment since I did not taste them. My friend and my wife both had the creamed corn with bourbon sauce and they raved about how delicious it was. The corn is not creamed, but the kernals are in a cream/bourbon sauce. I tasted it, and it was excellent. Portions were of good size, and appearance was very good. The three bbq sauces were good. My favorite was the chipotle - very good flavor and a hint of a bite.
A bit pricey but a good experience with good food - it should, however be served at a higher temperature.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The bad:
The bread was cold and seemed stale. The mac and cheese came highly suggested but we were not impressed. The noodles were bland and they didn't have the flavor you'd expect from the "aged cheddar" that our server told us was used to make it.

The good:
We were promptly seated by a nice young lady who was very polite. The meats were all AMAZING and I say this in the strongest sense of the word. The sauces that they brought out with the dinner were all so wonderful it took me until the next day to decide which one was my favorite. The dessert menu was small and after a little deliberation and some coffee to wake us up we decided to go with the fried oreo sundae which was perfect for 2 to share. The atmosphere was quieter than we had expected since it was supposed to be a sport's bar but we didn't mind. My husband was tickled when our waiter greeted us by name and then asked, in Polish, if he had pronounced it correctly. I don't speak Polish but my husband does and began rattling off at him in Polish which went on between them for the rest of dinner :)

We went back the next day and had a nice conversation with a manager and again had a very friendly waitress. We drank wine and gazed at the golf course. A very beautiful place with excellent food.

1  Thank Susan K
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The food was reaaaaallly good. Authentic Tex Mex. The service was good as well. I went at night, but there appeared to be outdoor seating and a great view during the day.

1  Thank JBoogz

Been to Catalina Barbeque Co. & Sports Bar? Share your experiences!