“A peaceful corner -- just for you”
Review of Tohono Chul

Tohono Chul
Ranked #7 of 301 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Owner description: Cultivate your appreciation for the Sonoran Desert’s natural beauty and the impression it makes on everyone who explores our “Desert Corner”. Here, the seasons inspire wondrous events both in nature and culturally; Tohono Chul celebrates every opening, whether for an internationally known artist or an exquisite cactus flower. Wander the natural desert gardens—escape the noise of everyday. Engage in our sincere passion to evolve “The Desert Corner” as an integral crossroads of nature, art and culture.
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was the first place I visited during my Tucson trip -- totally loved it! As soon as I stepped on the grounds, a hummingbird flew up to greet me. That was indicative of how peaceful and inviting Tohono Chul Park is. I was pleasantly surprised that the park is much bigger than it looks from the outside.

There are three routes for exploration -- the main pathway, Desert View Trail (on one side) and South Loop Trail + Saguaro Discovery Trail (on the other). Along each trail are mini gardens and sculptures. The meandering paths provide a sense of solitude and encourage self-reflection, if you're so inclined. If not, just enjoy the beauty of the moment. If you're pressed for time, the main pathway will offer the highlights of the park -- Sundial Plaza, Performance Garden, museum shop, exhibit house, Ethnobotanical Garden, and demonstration gardens. There are also several outdoor livings rooms. My favorite was the Meditation Room.

Birds, bees, butterflies... for a winter-weary vacationer, it doesn't get any better!

There are newer reviews for Tohono Chul

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Beautiful little park in northern Tucson. We went birding one morning, a gentle walk in an area in which there were a variety of species. We are novice birders, and the docent who lead the tour was very helpful. The saguaro walk was lovely, and we spotted even more birds, to our delight. I recommend this park. Go early in your visit and get a list of the many activities (both adult and family oriented) that they do each week.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We liked this garden better than Tucson Botanical Gardens. Some reviewers mentioned how expensive it was. The Senior rate is $8. They must raise it during the light festival. Enjoyed the trails. Didn't eat there so can't comment on the food. If you are staying in Oro Valley it is quite close.

1  Thank DesertGirl28
Reviewed January 13, 2014

One can go repeatedly to Tohono Chul Park and fall in love with it every time. Tours of the Gardens are great and we love the winter lights festival in December. The live entertainment is wonderful at that time. Truly magical evenings. The gift shops have fantastic items for sale.

1  Thank Carolyn K
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The price prevents the masses from enjoying this fantastic botanical garden. Yes, they have a free day here and there- but the price turns me off. I used to go there twice a month for years.

2  Thank Iso T
MadMadge43, Public Relations Manager at Tohono Chul, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Unfortunately, as a private non-profit 501-C3 we do not receive any financial support from any government entity and must fully support our operations through earned revenue and donations. We are also the lowest priced attraction of our level in Tucson. I hope you can understand the expense that comes with providing people a fantastic experience.

Memberships are available (also some of the lowest membership rates in Tucson) that allow people to visit during regular hours for free all year long. I hope you take advantage of a membership and start visiting us regularly again soon.

Been to Tohono Chul? Share your experiences!