“Best pizza we've had in years!”
Review of Grimaldi's Pizzeria - CLOSED

Grimaldi's Pizzeria
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 11, 2017

A person who lived in Brooklyn for 10 years told us about Grimaldi's. We went open minded, hoping not to be disappointed again.Our antipasto was very good with all of the ingredients tasty fresh.

We ordered a pepperoni & sweet roasted red pepper pizza. It was totally delicious & awesome! It was cooked perfectly. All of the items tasted fresh & high quality. Each bite tasted every better. We bought 1/2 of it home & ate it 2 days later. Even then it tasted delicious.

Unfortunately they will be closing this location November 25th. It's a shame & we hope they reopen in another location in Tucson, Oro Valley or Marana soon! The staff is great. The atmosphere is great.

This is definitely NY style!

Reviewed October 9, 2017 via mobile

The pizza here is decent enough and it comes with a reputation of being like that of New York City. Being a New Yorker myself (far removed) I’d say it does a pretty good job. However, the reasoning for the lower score is the restaurant itself.

When I first entered the store, I saw a sign saying to wait for the host to seat you. I was at the front for over five minutes. I ended up leaning against a table because I was tired of standing and waiting for the host to appear. Finally, a waiter saw me and offered to seat me. I was placed at a table inside right next to a single woman who had two kids that were uncontrollably running around and misbehaving. I flagged down a different waiter to be placed in another area. This helped a little as the next family that moved in had a baby and a young child as well. This began the atmosphere of the night.

In truth, the restaurant has the sound and vibe of a sports bar. And looking around my friend who came to meet me, noticed that it is also pretty dirty around the floors and the bar area. I looked and agreed. Our waiter was a young man who was friendly enough. But he ended up being too friendly in that he hovered over our table at each turn. He would ask our salad was… And then hover… And let us know what his favorite salad was... and wait for us to respond. Again, this occurred when we ordered our pizza. He let us know his favorite pizza was and how he had tasted every pizza on the menu at eight tasting they had, but it was not what we both had in mind. Even when we were asked for what drinks we wanted, he let us know about the wine pairings and the cheesecakes that went well with different wines. And this was when we were first just ordering our drinks before the food. Now mind you, I don’t mind a waiter recommending their favorite item on the menu, but this was a bit of overkill on each thing that he brought; And then having him stand over us waiting for a response while we were having a conversation was crazy. We ended up ordering a medium pizza and a large house salad.

The food: The large house salad is so fresh and amazing. It came loaded with Roasted peppers, tender mushrooms, fresh chopped romaine, a lovely light Olive oil dressing and olives. We also had a medium garden pizza. My only comment is it came with sliced Roma tomatoes which made the crust soggy in the middle. The outer crust was crispy and crunchy. This was a disappointment for me as I don’t care for soggy dough. I didn’t complain, but if a manager had stopped by I probably would’ve said something.

I would certainly come back and try the pizza again and maybe one without tomatoes to see if the dough could stand up to the toppings. I also think I would come on a week day night instead of a Friday night. Maybe there would be less kids and a host.

2  Thank Tundrachoochoo
Reviewed August 19, 2017

The pizzas were just like what we had in our favorite Italian village! Thin tasty crusts, fresh basil, great red sauce, and an extensive list for our choices of other toppings. The small salads were very generous in size! I loved the spinach salad (summer special) which was filled with strawberries, slivered almonds, and a light balsamic dressing. The Mediterranean salad was equally tasty [and thankful for the warning on the menu to watch out for olive pits (just 2)]! Our waiter, Josh, was perfect for our first visit (although our family had been there one other time). He was helpful and attentive. We were impressed with the wine selections. Nice Happy Hour discounts.

Reviewed August 10, 2017

This restaurant was recommended and wow, it was great. We were seated immediately and our server Jenna was great. We were there during happy hour so we enjoyed our wine even more. We ordered the bruschetta for an appetizer and it was delicious. I ordered the 12 inch calzone and it was huge!!! It could easily feed 2 people. We also had the dessert trio consisting of a cannoli, tirimasu and strawberry cheesecake. They were all extremely tasty, but the strawberry cheesecake was outstanding. I would definitely recommend this pizzeria.

Reviewed July 10, 2017

I highly recommend the spinach calzone at Grimaldi's. It's delicious and the sauce is outstanding as well. I celebrated my birthday there and shared the blueberry cheesecake with two of my friends. We all agreed that it was the best cheesecake ever!!!

1  Thank nanook4909