“1st Experience Was Better ... Losing Their Edge”

Grimaldi's Pizzeria
Ranked #126 of 2,021 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2014

First, let me say that Grimaldi's is usually a GREAT pizza place. One of the only coal fired pizza places in town, it is (obviously) noted for pizza with a thin, crispy crust. So, if this is not your preference, then Grimaldi's is not for you. They have huge portions as well. So, be aware that the sizes noted on the menu (in my opinion) are actually larger. You get a great bang for your buck, so come hungry! The menu is pretty simple -no pasta here - just pizza, salads, and a few dessert items. They have a fairly decent beer selection, and many wines to offer. The décor is nice. They have plenty of parking and a nice patio. The staff are usually super friendly, fun, and very helpful. Overall, the place has a good thing going.

That said, our second visit to this location in a 30 day period was extremely disappointing. Perhaps they were just having an off day? It was not crowded. We had a party of 6. Our table was too small for us - they should have put two together - was truly hard to fit all the food at the one table; worried about spilling drinks. We were right in a path/walkway - very awkward. We felt like we were in their way, and in the way of other guests.

The servers were very friendly, but not as attentive as usual, especially with refills and reorders of drinks. This cost them as a few at our table would have ordered another beer/wine had their order been taken before we had to leave. At one point, one of our 'table runners' (not our assigned server) acted put out by a simple request. I was embarrassed as we were with friends. Our friends had never been here (and of course we had raved about it) and this employee made her feel like she was too busy to be bothered. Not professional at all.

However, all of that one can get over, within reason. It happens. Being close to the UofA, many of the staff are students. I get that. But, be respectful. The main problem though was that all of our pizzas were soggy, and I don't mean just a little - a LOT soggy. Total mood kill. We each ordered one and had different toppings. I am aware that some toppings, such as tomatoes, are potentially going to sog through the center of the crust, but sausage and pepperoni, not so much. This was a fatal error in our opinion.

To us, the entire reason we come here is for the crispy, burnt, slightly smoky crust that you simply cannot find anywhere else. It is their trademark, so for that piece to be missing, was pretty huge. We were disappointed and are hoping this was a one time thing. It would be a shame for the food quality to decline to the degree we have to stop going.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We are hooked! Grimaldi's has the best pizza in Tucson. We always get the same: large pizza with pepperoni, ham, fresh garlic, and extra sauce. We also enjoy their salads - a small is plenty for two people!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Food is great, worth the long wait, but the place is very noisy, impossible to have a conversation. 2 large pizzas fed 8 easy, cheese cake excellent.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

After finals, I took my nephew and a few of his friends and this is where they wanted to go. Table next to us has pizza with very dark, burned, crust. We ordered our multiple pizzas and I told the waitress that "I don't want them like that." About 15 minutes later our pizza arrived all were burned. That taste isn't very good. We scrapped the toppings off and thought those tasted good. Roma tomatoes, meatballs, peperoni. Manager came by and asked how dinner was. I pointed to the burned crust on my plate. She said that should not have happened and gave me a gift card equal to one pizza. I gave it to my nephew, since I don't plan on going back. Close to U of A Football Stadium.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Pizza is Hand Tossed.. maybe that is why the price is so high? Not sure....The pizza comes with just sauce and sliced mozzarella cheese..all the toppings are extra by $2 - $6. Just a bit over priced if your a college student or on a budget.... extremely busy, so people must enjoy it....