“Dinning Masacre”

Cross street: Via Palomita
A TripAdvisor Member
Tucson
Reviewed February 14, 2006

My girlfriend and I decided to have an early Valentine's Day dinner a day before Valentine's Day to avoid the crowds.
We got off work early to go home and get a little dressed up for the event. Our reservations were for 8:00pm but we decided to arrive thirty minutes early to have a cocktail before dinner. Upon arrival the hostess told us we could be seated promptly, which was great because we were very hungry after a long day at work. Janos was pretty much empty on this Monday night so it conveyed a very relaxing and romantic atmosphere. All seemed well. Then the waitress began the night's destruction. Our waitress only had two tables to serve, the two of us and the couple behind us. The couple behind us was much older and the waitress and manager did everything but shine their shoes. My girlfriend and I on the other hand, were basically ignored. The waitress would walk by us 5 or six times without even looking in our direction. On top of that, when she finally brought our drinks and food she would just sit the food on the table and walk off without saying a word. Never once asked if we needed anything!! I was very frustrated but did not want to let it spoil the evening. The 2nd time I had to flag her down I decided to approach her in a discreet way and mention that I felt we were not getting the service that we deserve. Upon approaching her, not once did she apologize; she only gave excuses and made it seem like for some reason it was my fault. "She told me that she did not want to interrupt my conversation". My impression was that she did not want to do her job serving us because there was very little conversation going on. We were both very tired! Besides that, there was tone of attitude coming from her that should never be directed towards a customer. I have had better service at Chili's on Friday night! The word I had with her was polite, very discreet and quiet because I did not want to make a huge issue of the situation. Once I sat back down my girlfriend and I were actually having a conversation and she decides at that moment to come interrupt us and tell me "sorry you and I have a misunderstanding". This waitress had no social graces and displayed the personality of a pit-bull. Before I can even utter a word or order another drink she grabbed our wine classes and walked off. We both were planning on ordering another glass of wine. After that I requested to speak to the manager. A distinguished woman came out and introduced herself as the manager. Right as my girlfriend and I started to tell her the events, the waitress walked up and stood behind the manager as if to try to intimidate us from discussing our poor service. I was infuriated! Not only was this act very unprofessional it made my girlfriend and I uncomfortable talking to the manager; and only made the situation worse by creating a scene. I was so upset I could not even speak what I felt. Our whole evening was spoiled. The manager tried to compensate it by taking the drinks and deserts off the bill but that wasn't the point. The evening had been trashed and there was nothing we could do to get it back. I have eaten at Janos on many occasions in the past the service was impeccable. From my experience, it is my impression that Janos has definitely gone "down hill". There are so many up and coming fine dining restaurants in Tucson now that I don't think Janos will be able to keep up if they continue to with this type of service.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed January 1, 2006

We had New Year's Eve Dinner at J-Bar and overall enjoyed it. Even though this is the bargain side of Janos, I still felt it was just a tad pricey for the quality (maybe they jacked the prices up a bit for New Year's, though). The food was pretty inventive and innovative, and it worked very well, I'd give the food alone 3.5-4 stars out of 5 (but for $65 prix fixe in TUCSON, ARIZONA of all places, I expect just a bit more). The service was also excellent, and made the value a bit better. The view was gorgeous! The only small problem, and this seemed pervasive in Tucson, was lack of good directions. I had three different hostesses give me directions and they were all wrong and we were 15 minutes late for dinner. Get independent verification of their location!

1  Thank pkt63
Reviewed November 13, 2005

Janos and J-Bar had been two of our favorites, but both have lost the edge based on recent visits. Service s-l-o-w and not attentive.

2  Thank ConejoRapido
A TripAdvisor Member
palmdale, california
Reviewed April 6, 2005

My husband and I had just gone to Janos for our anniversary dinner. All seemed t0 be ok at first, that is until we received our meals. Quite a steep price for such a small portion. I would recommend going on a full stomach or not at all. The steak in the surf and turf had little flavor and the loster portion was the size of a medium peice of shrimp. The server was not attentive at all and made us feel like we were bothering him. We will not return and were very dissapointed since Janos was highly recommended by the resort where we were staying.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2005

We just returned from dinner at Jano's and were sadly disappointed. The food was good, albeit rather small portions. The wine list is extensive with a wide range of choices. The service and ambiance was abysmal. Jano's is one of those restaurants with acoustics better suited to a rock concert. One has to yell across the table to be heard, due to the roar of converstation. The service was poor, unskilled, and extemely slow. Overall, poorly done. Much better choices are available in Tucson. (The Grill at Hacienda del Sol, Le Rondez-vous.) We will not return.

5  Thank urge4going