“True or not? A European perpsective”

White Stallion Ranch
Ranked #1 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The True family own and run the White Stallion Ranch (WSR) - are all the excellent reports on this web site 'true'? Well in a word YES but will you take make that decision and travel that 4500 plus miles to experience it?

Travelling from Europe, just for a ranch experience, is expensive if you compare costs with an all inclusive package tour to perhaps the Carribean for longer. BUT trust me you will not have as much fun. The WSR experience suits all age groups and even those with ceratin disabiities.

The WSR web site is extremely accurate in what you will receive. What it cannot express, in real terms, is the feeling one gets from the moment of check in - that feeling of being valued. This radiates through all of the staff.

If you are a non-rider as I was when I first visited, do not fear - the WSR found me a horse that behaved in a 'highly charged state of a coma'!!! Since then I have progressed.

If you want something different go for it you will not be disappointed..

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BritGilching
There are newer reviews for White Stallion Ranch

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I was wrong. The place was beyond expectations. Way beyond.
If you're looking for white tablecloths and fine dining, you've picked the wrong place. It is a very comfortable, safe, friendly, fun atmosphere and good food, too. That is what you'll get.
I am a single Dad with a 12 year old daughter. There were several other single parent families there with parents from both genders. The kids all made friends almost from the minute they met, as did the parents. Everyone watched out for each other's kids. People's riding abilities are all over the place but no one ever feels out of place. We all got our own horses for the week. My daughter was on a horse or grooming hers for the majority of every day.
Evenings were filled with star gazing, or western singers around the campfire, or a corny magician. (Really corny)
There was a rodeo on the last day that we were there. Not an extravaganza; a fun event, though.
"What's a rodeo, Dad?" Try to explain that to a city kid from the east coast. She loved it.
Everyone that works there that "touched" a guest was wonderful.
If you think of a movie that left you with an amazing "feel good" at the end, you would be the stars of the movie at White Stallion.
We are going back again next year. No doubt.

1  Thank MELBoston
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My third visit to White Stallion, this time with my husband (previously with my daughter) once again showed how the friendliness of the True family and their ranch changes people. The accomodations are more gussied up than I remember, Indian blankets on the walls of the rooms, wranglers in embroidered shirts, yet the spirit of White Stallion is the same. Authentic Sonora desert riding among the cactus and sagebrush on the largest private herd of horses in Arizona. This time, on a severely restricted medical diet that allowed no grains/carbs, I found the kitchen bent over backwards to accomodate my 100% special meals. Unlimited riding is included and beginners, intermediates and experts can all participate however and whenever they want. The wine and cheese and beer and fritos rides accomodated adults who are socially inclined while the breakfast trail rides and hayride lunches interested all riders and non riders. The fast rides for those who can lope or canter (me, finally) were spirited and the all day and half-day rides for those who were ready, were the highlight of the trip. The team penning with horses and cattle was my favorite and I did not know anyone on my team at the beginning but was grinning and chatting with them by the end. As usual, I met an assortment of people I won't forget, the lovely woman from Nashville with her daughter, the man from Ottawa who was the best "cowboy" and the elderly former polo player who got the best time in the team penning exercise along with the British girls who whooped and hollered all through barrel racing. Then there were the ladies who came to read and do a little light riding. Susan, the massage lady made it all "go away" so I could keep on riding. The cowboy poet/singer, western line dancing, critter night, painting night, and star gazing are all free and highly recommended. Thank you, True family, for keeping the spirit of true west alive.

Room Tip: The bigger rooms have separate living rooms great for those who like to bring their guitar or stay u...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MsVineyard
Reviewed March 26, 2012

For me this was the best vacation ever in my live, if you love horsebackriding and horses this is definitely the place to go. The stuff is excellent, the food is excellent, the rooms are excellent and the daily programm has something for everybody. I was surprised to see people which have not done any horsebackriding before, so its also recommendable for absolute beginners. If you are an experienced rider you will love the fast rides.....
I stayed for a week in March 2012 and will definitely go back and of this year or beginning of next year...

Fred

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Fred B
Reviewed March 26, 2012

It had been 40 years since I had been on a dude ranch vacation (when I was a youngster!), and I wanted to share this type of experience with my 11-year-old daughter. The White Stallion was the perfect venue for this. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful, the food was tasty and plentiful, and our expectations were surpassed at every turn. We met many wonderful people, including some other mother-daughter guests. This was the first of (hopefully) many visits to White Stallion. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the paddock, perfect for my horse-crazy daughter! I suggest you call the ran...
1  Thank mam59929
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My 13 year old daughter and I had never been to a dude ranch before, and we did not know what to expect. We were delighted with every aspect of this trip, including the setting, amenities and the first class service we experienced at White Stallion Ranch. Set in a picturesque, movie friendly part of the Arizona desert, adjacent to the breathtaking Tucson Mountains, the location alone is enough to draw you back. Add to that the efficient, personal and discreet service, the down home friendliness of the True family and their staff, and the exceptionally well cared for horses and riding facility, and you have a paradise that can't be beat. We are both experienced riders in the English style, but did not have any trouble adapting to and enjoying the more relaxed Western style, and found more than enough variety of rides and activities to keep us engaged for the whole of our stay. It was an especially nice touch that we rode the same horse every day (unless we had wanted to change), and were welcomed by name as the wranglers led out our horses for each ride. A highlight of the week was the team penning competition, with young cows being herded into pens by guests on horseback. We were the only guests on a whole day ride, a great treat. There is nothing more delightful than being welcomed to a tasty cookout on the patio under the stars after a long day on the trail. The rooms are spotless, comfortable and TV free, and there is a great pool and jacuzzi, screening room and game room, as well as fireplaces and whirlpool tubs in the rooms. A wonderful vacation for families, with many quite small children enjoying themselves as much as the adults.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but it is worth paying a little more for the deluxe room with the whirlpool...
2  Thank Alisonaaw
Reviewed March 22, 2012

White Stallion Ranch was fabulous. The scenery was spectacular. Riding in the desert with the saguaro and all the other cactuses, framed by a mountain backdrop, was a highlight.

I can’t say enough about this family operation and how they went out of the way to accommodate us. They picked us up early in the morning to get the required riding test in. The BBQ beef was superior, and cooked to perfection. They did not hesitate when my husband said he would like the whole huge steak...he was very happy. They accommodated us with a more suitable horse when requested, and we had may rides to choose from. They also delivered us to the Phoenix shuttle at 2 AM in the morning!

The accommodation, amenities, superior customer service and horses were excellent, and we fully understand why we meet so many repeat guests.

We have been to several ranches, but this has to be one of the best!

A special “Thank You” to the Trues!

Ron & Margaret Smith