“Past Its Prime?”

Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
Ranked #25 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I didn't think the day would come that I would write a negative review of the Westward Look. However, our 6th trip in as many years has compelled me to do so.

We could not get a quiet night's sleep until day 4, due to two noise issues. The first was due to a loud bang we would hear when the heat turned on, sounding like someone was trying to break in through the front door. This is not a welcome sound in the middle of the night. We reported it to the front desk and nothing was done. After the second night of this, we insisted that someone come and look at it. When we demonstrated the problem, he quickly opened the grate and found that the filter was loose. Taping it in place fixed the problem.

Having fixed that problem, we then had an issue with the mini fridge. It continually made a deep breathing sound. While it was somewhat tolerable during waking hours, it was all you could hear while trying to sleep. We asked them to fix the problem and they did nothing. By day 4, we told them to replace the fridge. When they did, we got the same amount of noise. At that point, I suggested they move it to the bathroom and install an extension cord so that we could close the door to stanch the noise. (See photo.) At that point, we finally got the problems fixed, but it took 4 days to get there.

As for housekeeping, we found one day where the bath mat disappeared, another day where the TV remote was found under the bed after a long search, and many days where there was no body lotion. Um, we're in a desert with low humidity. We sorta need the body lotion.

When we told them that we had run out of regular coffee and there was only decaf in the room, they gave us a bunch of decaf, not regular. We made them come back and provide regular coffee and take the decaf away.

The internet was spotty. Even though the WiFi signal was strong, there were certain websites that we could not reach from time to time. It was quite frustrating.

We had one dinner in the Gold Room. We used to enjoy going there. This time, we were seated near a door that had a high volume of traffic and were subjected to continuous blasts of cold air. The food was not up to their former standard. My pork chop was tough. The Lookout Grill is still OK, however.

Thankfully, the Sonoran Spa is still at the high standard it has set for many years. The staff are wonderful.

Based on this experience, I can't see us returning. We filled out a guest comment card and gave our contact information in hopes that we would hear from management. It has been a month and a half and we have heard nothing.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DrSQL
WWLmarketing, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2011

I am deeply sorry to hear that your most recent visit was marred by multiple problems that were not all promptly addressed to your satisfaction. Rest assured that I will personally locate your comment card and contact you to address the situations you mention. The problems you mention—from the noise to the missing body lotions and coffee to the uncomfortable and disappointing dinner—as well as the less-than immediate correction of the problems, are not by any means indicative of our usual high standards and level of service. Please accept my apologies for your difficulties, and again, I will be in touch with you directly.

Alan Klein, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,930)

Reviewed January 21, 2011

WW Look is in a word classic. Service is wonderful, location stellar and it is the best of what Arizona has to offer. I am here often for business and the front desk folks always remember me. The location is stellar, the rooms are wonderful and the service is excellent. Rooms are lovely, beds are comfy and the amenities are excellent!

This is what Arizona is all about!! Stay here and as the song says....don't worry be happy....

1  Thank kmjg

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words. I’m happy to hear you have consistently enjoyed your stays with us, and that you’ve enjoyed the warmth of both Arizona and Westward Look hospitality! I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2011

Had a business trip which took me to Tucson, and having never been, wasn't sure what to expect but the Westward Look Resort made the trip a breeze. My room was a very nice setup with a comfortable king bed and a large bath and closet. Ate multiple meals onsite and food was tasty and served by personable staff that acted interested in you being there. Bar area was quite spacious with multiple flat screens enabling the sports addict in me to watch what I wanted to.

Registration and bell staff were also very helpful. In fact my only negative was the high priced merchandise in the store, which I also felt closed a little too early (5 pm) for those that spent the day working or sight seeing.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

I’m glad you enjoyed your first trip to Tucson, and that you enjoyed your stay with us as both a business traveler and “sports addict.” I’m particularly pleased to hear that we helped make your trip a breeze and that the staff treated you well. This indicates to me that we are achieving our goals and making all of our guests feel at home. Thank you, too for your feedback about our store. I always appreciate input that can help us improve our services. I hope we’ll see you and your colleagues again soon. Thanks for choosing Westward Look.

Reviewed January 11, 2011

This was my second trip to Westward Look, and my second time with a teenage son along.
Not much to add to my first review, but I'll reiterate a few of the most striking features and add one or two new thoughts.
1. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable.
2. We again heard absolutely nothing from neighbors, so I'm surprised that a few reviewers complain about noise.
3. The tennis is excellent, with equipment provided at no charge when you pay a very reasonable court fee.
4. There are three pools and "spas" (large Jacuzzis). The pools are heated and I enjoyed my swims a lot, even in January (high in the mid 60s).
5. Free wireless in rooms (a bit slow), free use of computers in business center.
6. The dining at Gold is fine, but nothing to get excited about.
7. The staff is just perfect. (And I am a low-maintenance traveler so I almost never comment on the staff at a hotel in my TripAd reviews.)
8. I strongly agree with other reviewers who prefer the Sonoran feel of Westward Look to the more "golf course" style of nearby competitors.
9. Great mountain hikes very nearby.

Finally, I thought we got very good value. Of course, if TripAdvisor keeps racking up great reviews, next January it may not be so cheap!

1  Thank Crito0

It’s so nice to hear from a repeat visitor to our resort! Thank you so much for your return to Westward Look and your updated and detailed feedback! I’m glad to hear you’ve been consistently happy with the accommodations, activities, value and service. I’m especially happy to hear that our staff rated a “perfect” from someone who, by his own account, “almost never comments on the staff.” That’s high praise indeed. I’m also glad to hear that not only was your room comfortable, but that you were not disturbed by noise. We work hard to ensure our guests’ comfort.

As Tucson’s first resort, we’re very proud of our distinctive Sonoran Desert atmosphere and are always happy to hear our guests have enjoyed the ambiance and surroundings. We look forward to seeing you and serving you again in the future.

Reviewed January 10, 2011

I travel a LOT. This time, I drove from the ranch in Texas to my little rental cottage in Marin County. On the way, i took advantage of a winter special to stay at Westward Look. Amazing!
What other hotel offers "cook with the chef" nights, or "take a guided tour of our garden" mornings, along with outstanding masseuses, fabulous rooms, and breathtaking views? The sweetest part is that it has its origins in a family lodge of rare quality, so that permeates the place. Total joy, staff are terrific, and the whole experience is relaxing, beautiful, and full of free fruit off of the zillion trees they have. My top endorsement for beauty, for authenticity, luxury without stuffiness, and dadgum gorgeous AZ views. Bravo! Be sure to visit Pico de Gallo if in Tucson.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
WWLmarketing, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2011

Thank you for your kind feedback! We’re always happy to hear from our guests and thrilled when they enjoy their stay and the activities and services we have to offer. I hope you’ll come stay with us again soon!

Reviewed December 24, 2010

My wife, son and myself stayed at the Westward Look Resort for two days while visiting family. We wanted to stay in a desert setting near the Catalina Mountains - superb view and nice outdoors experience. The Westward Look exceeded our expectations.

We have in the past stayed at the Westin La Paloma and Loew's Ventana Canyon - also both in the foothills. I would say the Westward Look matched Loew's and exceeded La Paloma - at least for our tastes.

The main attribute that we enjoyed at Westward Look is the large grounds that preserve a true Sonoran Desert feel. That is why we come to Tucson. The rooms are spread out widely on the grounds, and help to preserve a more natural and quiet setting. While I found no fault with the accomodations at La Paloma -- it is a newer and more "commercial" design. This unfortunately tends to "remove it from the local environment" and provide a resort that could be located anywhere. Go to Westward Look for the out-of-doors, southwest experience. Go to La Paloma for golf.

The staff was very accomodating and friendly. Our upgraded (+$20) room had a beautiful view of the entire Tucson valley. Occupancy was relatively low during the weekdays in advance of the Christmas weekend, and our stay was very quiet and comfortable.

I would mention two items that I believe could improve the establishment.

The non-king beds in the rooms should really be queen beds, not doubles. There is plenty of space in the room for a larger bed. We crowded two to one bed, and it didn't work well.

Additionally, the property does show a lack of "preventative" maintenance. I think the resort skimps on regular care of the physical facility. Reading other reviews, the resort is prompt to fix problems that guests find - but they shouldn't be finding them in the first place. Other areas where a guest would probably not complain also show the need of maintenance; items like paint, worn screen doors, HVAC vents with obvious lint, etc.

But don't let these two issues put you off, I'd stay at the Westward Look again in a minute. In fact, my wife and I discussed this and will make the resort our primary choice while in Tucson -- price willing.

• Stayed: December 2010
WWLmarketing, Westward Look Marketing at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

I’m so glad that we were able to exceed your expectations of a superb view and pleasant outdoor experience! I’m also happy that you found our staff friendly and that you and your family experienced a quiet, comfortable stay with us over the holidays! Thank you for your suggestions, as well. As Tucson’s first resort, we’re bound to show some wear now and then, despite last year’s extensive renovation, but we won’t cut corners when it comes to resort maintenance and will look into the details you mention noticing. Thank you again for your assessment. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed December 20, 2010

I won this for a really low nightly rate on priceline and so was more than pleased with my stay.

The rooms are large and spacious, seperate sitting area, large wall mounted tv that swivels to either the lounge area or the bedroom area, dressing area with huge full length mirror, and a large bathroom split into 2, a large walk in shower big enough for 2, sink and loo in one room, in the adjoining room a sink, vanity area, fridge and closet. In addition we also had a large private balcony which was a real suntrap during the day.

Absolutely no complaints with the actual room itself, however, the negative is that the walls are absolutely paper thin, we could hear every word our neighbours said, their tv, there phones, alarm clock etc.

I would have given this a higher rating if there had been no neighbour noise due to the thin walls. Overall though I would stay again if I got a cheap rate.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank europe-chick
WWLmarketing, Westward Look Marketing Department at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the accommodations. I am sorry to hear there was a noise issue. If you do choose to stay with us again, I hope you’ll let us know if you encounter the same issue. We’d be happy to remedy the situation, possibly by changing your room location. Thank you for your feedback so that we can address the situation.