“Great hotel - and facility for wedding”

Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Stayed here for my son's wedding. Wedding was held at hotel also. Also had after wedding brunch. Had friends and relatives fly in from all over the US. Everyone loved hotel. Great rooms, pool, facilities, service, food. Wedding was fabulous and quality was exceptional. Prices were good. Food was very good. Restaurant for lunch/breakfast was exceptional but a little pricey - so many of our friends went to local eatery for breakfast (and there are several good places very nearby). Only negative was bed was a little too plush and I like a firm bed (though many of our guests though the plushness was great). Location was relatively close to many attractions and most guest took advantage of this.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ams44
There are newer reviews for Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa

Reviewed March 17, 2010

Would highly recommend this resort, we had a scenic view room, which was lovely. There are several pools, including a lap pool on the property, also hot tubs. Close to the National Parks, plenty to do. The pub offers a great Happy Hour. The restaurant food was very good. Nice place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Micley
ckinney1, Revenue Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2010

On behalf of the Staff and Management at Westward Look Resort, thank you for taking a moment to write a nice note about our Resort. It is very encouraging to hear that our guests have enjoyed the service and atmosphere that we strive to provide to each guest - every time. Thanks Again, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2010

My friend and I stayed here for the weekend. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was beautiful (and clean). Comfortable beds, fluffy comforters. Mini fridge in the room (microwave would have been nice). Nice shower, two sinks in separate areas.

Free wifi in the room. Business center in the lobby with free internet access and printing (nice for printing boarding passes).

We went to the spa for body scrubs and facials. My friend wasn't even sure she would be comforable getting a body scrub, but after this she wants to get facials and massages on a regular basis. It was awesome! Very relaxing and friendly atmosphere. I like that the website gives details and prices for the services. Prices are reasonable for spa services. Love the products. I purchased some and shipped them home so I wouldn't have to deal with carry-on. They were out of one of the items I wanted, so they said they would send it to me when they get it in and will not charge me for shipping.

Food at the Gold was excellent, food at the bar was OK.

Nice (heated) pools and hot tubs. There is a lap pool and hot tub next to the fitness center. The fitness center was pretty nice. Not huge, but not a 1970 treadmill in the corner like some hotels. It was overcast and/or raining pretty much the entire time we were there, but the pools are well-heated, so I went for a swim or two everyday. it was great!

The prices seemed so low, I was afraid it would be a stinky motel masquerading as a resort, but that was not the case. A lady who sat next to me on the plane used to work there and she said the reason the prices are so reasonable is that it's not a "golf resort." The grounds are beautiful - lots of desert plants and signs along the trails that describe the local plants and wildlife.

Can't wait to go again!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank colo1234

Greetings and Thank You for the thorough review. We are very happy to hear that your stay with us was memorable. We have many wonderful desert inspired treatments in our Sonoran Spa. It is definitely a great place to visit if you are looking for a treat to help you relax while at the resort. Thank you again for taking the time to share your stay experience. We value all feedback from our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed March 10, 2010

I really felt this was one of the nicer places we have stayed in the US. Bedrooms were perfect, granite tiles, huge flat screen comfortable bed. Loved it. The pool was great for early morning lap swimming and we had a VERY good meal at the Gold Room (their restaurant). Yes, it is not out in the desert and there are homes around, but it was quiet and felt secluded. The grounds are really nice for an easy stroll. Highly recommend this place.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank palmer77

Thank you for your comments. Over the last couple of years "urban sprawl" has been heavy in Tucson. With that said, Westward Look is taking steps to make sure that we are maintaining the Natural Desert feel on our 80 acres. Thank you for noticing our efforts. We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Tucson.

Reviewed March 8, 2010

I picked this resort for the view and it was wonderful - beautiful sunsets over the desert, lightning storms over the mountains. The room was nice and clean and comfortable. It was a little out of the way for some of the sites - but it's the desert, you're gonna drive for a while to get anywhere . . .

Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
ckinney1, Revenue Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2010

Thank you for your comments. Our resort actually got its name from a speech by Winston Churchill quoting a poem by Arthur Hugh Clough. “…In front, the sun climbs slowly, how slowly. But westward, look… the land is bright.” Thanks for sharing our resort with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

The room we had was great and the price was even better. I heard this resort had been a bit run down at one time, you would never know it, if so they have done a great job renovating. They tried very hard to make sure we were happy.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for noticing the changes and taking a moment to comment on them. We actually just completed a full renovation in 2009. We are also proud to carry the AAA Four Diamond Award. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

It's tough to review this resort, because the service was so at odds with everything else about it.

At check-in, the woman at the front desk was far from welcoming. Very brusque and businesslike, I don't think she bothered to make eye contact once, and did virtually nothing to make us feel welcome. The real trouble started after. There was no valey or anyone at the door. We had to park a fair distance away and lug our suitcases up a hill. Not fun. When we arrived at the door, a guy suddenly appeared, offering to help us with our lugguge. By that time, we figured we were just about there, so said no thanks. We were wrong.

Turns out the front desk woman had given us extremely vague directions to our room. The rooms are grouped in a series of buildings, and she just indicated the general direction to our room. The lighting was unbelieveably poor. We had to lug our suitcases down a series of steps (in the morning, we discovered ramps, but it was impossible to see them at night) to reach our building. It turned out our room was kind of hidden on the far side. We had quite a time finding it, all the while still lugging our luggage.

I then proceeded to get some ice. No ice in the ice machine. I had to go all the way to the front desk, where I was informed - without any apology - that I could get ice in the bar. The bartender seemed to feel I was being quite an imposition and made some rather sarcastic comment.

The facilities, on the other hand, were quite nice. The rooms were large, the bathrooms nice, the grounds incredible. The beds were the best I've ever slept in, I believe. Large fluffy down comforters, wonderful pillows, comfortable mattress. The room was decorated very attractively. The view of the canyon was from our window was nice, although probably not the best in the city. There were odd little quirks about the room, especially in the bathroom, that made you feel there hadn't been a lot of attention to detail when it was being remodeled, but not enough to reduce the wonderful ambience.

I got a wonderful deal on the hotel through hotwire, and so it was well worth the price I paid. However, considering the service, I don't know that I'd return, even at that kind of price, just because of the service. I think I'd rather get good service at a place with fewer amenities than the odd service we received there. If the service was improved, there's no question I'd head back there - for a much longer visit.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends

Greetings, we strive to meet the needs of our guests at all times. We were sorry to hear that we dropped the ball during your stay. Please be reassured that you comments and concerns have been addressed. We are very proud of our service team hear at Westward Look and know that they will do everything they can do to make sure that every guests receives renown service – every time. If you find yourself visiting Tucson in the future,, please give us another try as We are confident that we will meet or exceed your expectations. Best Regards – Westward Look Resort Management