“Westward Look- above average!”

Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We have stayed at the Westward look before and just came back from a second stay. I think the people who have posted here complaining about the quality of the rooms, must have stayed in the 'Posada' type rooms near the lobby and pool... When my children were swimming at night, I could see in these rooms which looked much more like a standard Holiday Inn room, plus it's right by the pool which I personally would find annoying to hear splashing and not being able to open your drapes. I think these are the rooms you often get through expedia- Check the website before making a reservation so you know what type of room you are getting.
The suite sized rooms, where as I would not call them luxurious (but you aren't paying that kind of money either) are very comfortable and well done. Very roomy with a decent sized bathroom and a separate dressing/vanity area which I love... plus a very comfortable sitting area. I found both of ours to be very clean- (we had connecting suites for our children... which is a HUGE plus here- not easy to find nice connecting rooms) Ask for an upstairs suite. We were in building 19 and had a great view of a patch of desert from our balcony and then the city lights...
The service in the Grille restaurant was marginal- the waitress actually ARGUED with us when we said our youngest child had asked for fruit, not fries with her dinner and could we have that fixed? I was floored at when she said, "No, she said, fries...Listen, I have it right here..." After I picked my jaw up off of the table, she finally said, "Whatever... fine. Do you need a side of fruit sweety?? I will get that for you..." In a pretty unpleasant tone.
The food was ok- burgers are not very good, overcooked with a dry bun. Decent Veggie wrap and Good cobb salad.
The Gold Room service and food were much better- but expect higher prices.
The only issues I have at this resort... the pools do have many bugs and leaves... they either need to update their filering systems of skim them every few hours.
There are no robes-
There was no conditioner- just Shampoo, shower gel and lotion.
The TV is set into a armoire and doesn't pull out. It's not centered in the room so makes viewing difficult.
All in all- we enjoy the westward look because it's smallish- doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles for children so that limits the number of wild, thrashing kids around. There are no pool slides or waterfalls- Our children entertain themselves just fine in a regular pool, thankfully! My husband and I just can't handle the mayhem of hoards of children at the La Posada or El Conquistador anymore! We found the lower pool to be quite nice, quiet without tons of kids. And I love that the towels are sitting out... you don't have to 'check out' pool towels. This resort has personality-
We enjoy the nature trail... and you can arrange for horseback riding if you wish.
We will stay again... but if it were just my husband and I and were looking for posh we'd probably stay elsewhere. This is just a nice resort with great connecting suites for kids and it has some history and uniqueness to it- good for a nice weekend getaway with the kids or just by yourselves, but for us, we wouldn't consider it for a 'special' weekend...

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank aef28

Reviewed June 24, 2006

Our family of 2 adults and 2 grade school kids stayed at the Westward Look for 6 nights over spring break. We came from the Chicago area to watch the White Sox in Spring Training. We had a terrific experience at the resort, made extra fun because so many Sox fans were there. The room was clean, large, and nicely decorated. Having a refrigerator as part of the stay was great for keeping a stock of soda and treats on hand. The pool was nice and large, and there was always a good water basketball game going on in the shallow end for the kids, with plenty of basketballs provided by the hotel. Plenty of lounge chairs, too. The setting was lovely, with beautiful grounds including flowers, trees, and bushes. It was also in a great location for easy eating out, easy highway access to the ballpark and other sites, and for getting to and from the airport. We are already planning our trip for next spring.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Placitas, New Mexico
Reviewed May 30, 2006

We first came to Westward Look in 1999 and have come back at least once a year since. The stay is ALWAYS superb! The room we have chosen over the years as our favorite is an end desert suite (Building contains 6 rooms; with 2 rooms up and 2 rooms down and 1 on each end) We have always experienced our rooms to be clean and well kept and the grounds have always been just a delight. We love the nature path arouond the facility and it is always filled with fabulous birds, lots of great birds in fact, as well as rabbits, lizards and even a wonderfully rare view of strolling coyotes. We love the wild life and it is wonderful to see nature so friendly and colorful. We have found the hotel staff to always be helpful and their service to provide anything that is needed. We often visit in the midst of the summer when the pool and the drinks are the perfect R & R, and have never been dissappointed. We love the Lookout Grille as the food is wonderful, very tasty with great southwestern favorites and the view is the best. The Gold Room has spectacular food, however the price is consistent with the outstanding menu options and exquisite presentation. Out of personal preference we only go there on special occasions, but it is our favorite for "fancy" because of the great views. We plan another visit in the August/September time frame and will continue to visit at least once a year. Westward Look has everything we love; Fabulous nature, incredible views, exceptional rooms and wonderful facilities.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

We were not expecting much since the price was so modest. Boy were we wrong, What an abolute treat. Beautiful setting, and wonderful service. We were greated by all with a smile, even when we arrived 30 minutes before the resteraunt closed. Our room walked right out to the pool which was great for our kids. We took the kids on the nature walkes and were suprised at how excited they were to read about all the sites along our way. We were so at home in this cozy comfortable setting it was hard to leave. I only wish we had more reason to travel to Tucson so we could enjoy this Heaven again.

10  Thank shellable
Reviewed May 15, 2006

I have stayed at several hotels in Tucson and this is my favorite. The hotel has beautiful grounds with lots of hiking trails, gardens, and animals, like birds and rabbits. I also like how the hotel property has three pools, two of which are private. The hotel has several restaurants to choose from, both have great views for watching the sunset and enjoying the city lights at night. We ate dinner at The Grill and breakfast at the Gold Room and thought both restaurants had good food. This hotel really takes advantage of its natural surroundings and provides to me a more comfortable atmosphere than some of the large golf resorts in the Tucson area. The room we stayed in had a great view, large private balcony, a comfortable bed and was clean. The extra sink area outside the bathroom is an extra bonus to the room. The only thing that might add to the room that I can think of is a deeper bathtub. Overall, this is a large property that takes full advantage of its natural surroundings has beautiful grounds to explore, and is comfortable to be at. I feel you cannot go wrong with this property.

• Stayed: May 2006
12  Thank malyko
Reviewed May 14, 2006

Whoa, Nellie! The last couple of reviews paint a completely different kind of Westward Look than the place my wife and I stayed at the last week in April. Sure, the Westward Look is no 5-star resort and if that's what you're looking for maybe you'll be disappointed. But we didn't find it to be unfriendly or slovenly...just different from your standard cookie-cutter resort. It's an older property and you stay away from the main building in casita-style townhouses. We loved being able to park right by our room. The room was fine -- not luxury, but large and with all the things you want. Check out the mexican tile in the bathrooms. The whole resort has a low-impact feel. You walk along nature trails and it's very quiet. About the worst thing is the main pool in the center of the resort. It looked too exposed for us, too much activity around it (there are poolside rooms but I wouldn't stay in one). We swam in the upper lap pool every day and it was great. We also liked sitting at the bar in the evening but mostly we went out to dinner. One negative is that the Westward Look is up in the suburbs and downtown Tucson is probably 20 minutes or more away. You definitely need a car. There are some great restuarants right near the hotel. We had, of all things, a great seafood dinner right down the street at a little place with a courtyard (Bluefin?), and we splurged one night at Fleming's steakhouse which couldnt have been more than a mile or two away. We went ot Tucson mostly to see the Desert Museum (don't miss it), which is about a half hour away over the mountains and the Westward Look was a good base for us and we'll be back. A great change from the Marriott and other corporate resorts.

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank fielding
Reviewed April 30, 2006

Don't drink the water. Or use the ice? Who knows what made my wife and I sick while staying here, but considering the lack of attention to cleanliness and detail, it could have been anything. The surroundings of this place are nice enough, natural setting throughout the grounds, gardens, walking paths, pools, wildlife. And the rooms are large. But the place is dated and dirty, and the staff is barely rustling. For a place with this many stars, you'd expect the staff to be, at least, pleasant and efficient. The staff—no one—ever smiles. They acknowledge you rather impatiently, perhaps even circumspectly, waiting for you to ask for something they don’t want to do. They didn't clean the room with much care, the pool area was almost always in need of attention, and the workout facility was musty and unkempt (stinky and cramped, too). The concierge must have been staying at a different hotel—the concierge desk, honestly, was always vacant. The restaurant personnel were distracted and brusque, as were the front desk staff, but you can add incompetent to the front desk employees—they actually lost a package I had dropped off to be shipped. Overall, you are made to feel like guests who have overstayed their welcome. (By the way, the walls are paper thin. Late one night, we were treated to the vivid sounds of our neighbor’s deviant and raucous video entertainment tastes.)

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business